Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Legacy Arms Black PrinceProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Legacy Arms Black Prince         Reply with quote

Legacy Arms, formerly known as Generation 2(Gen2), has brought out a new Black Prince: the historic version. This version is much better looking than their previous attempt. The sword not only looks very good but also feels great in the hand. At 3lbs 6 oz, it moves fast and is beautifully balanced.

Weight: 3lbs 6oz
Overall length: 43 1/2
Blade length: 33 7/8
Blade width: 17/8
Grip: 6 5/8
P.O.B.: 1 3/4
C.O.E.: 17in from guard
Guard width: 9 1/8
Oakesshott typology type: XVa
Blade: j1pommel
Style: 8 guard

The blade XVa is beautifully forged from 5160 spring steel. The spine that runs the length of the blade is very straight with an acute point and a flattened diamond cross section with a satin finish.

The black guard looks very nice and very true to the original sword. The pommel has a black finish and hot penned with a rivet block.

For a sub $300 sword, it is a great value for money. On paper it sounds like it is worth much more, but it has it's flaws. When it is taken apart, the pommel nut IS an actual nut. With one twist it will come loose even though it is claimed to be hot penned. The pommel is also threaded to the tang. There is a steel spacer between the pommel and the grip, which is also threaded, and sandwiches the grip down to the guard. There is a steel spacer between the grip and the guard. The tang is beefy and full. The guard has LA stamp on it and is also a bit beefy,but not by much.

Conclusion: this is a very well made sword with a beautiful historically accurate blade At first glance, the hilt looks historically accurate, apart from the spacers and the threaded parts of the assembly. Overall, as a XVa it is very well done and great value for money but as a historic Black Prince replica that's another story.

I will say I have no retreats in buying this sword.

Attachment: 71.14 KB
IP-076a-2.jpeg

Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.

Last edited by James Cunniffe on Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James,
Thanks for the review. Where you did you read that it was hot peened? All the literature I've seen on these swords just says peened. Peening can be done with or without heat, as most makers do.

I think people get confused and throw the term "hot-peening" around unnecessarily. Just because heat is (or isn't) used doesn't mean it's like Albion's assembly after whose introduction this term came to be over- and mis-used. What makes Albion's assembly so solid goes beyond whether heat is used; it has as much (or more) to do with the guard and pommel being wedged tightly onto the tang as it does heat being used on the peen.

So a tightly wedged fit can be peened hot or cold. A compression fit (where pressure from the rivet holds everything tight) typically doesn't involve heat in the peen as the grip could burn during the heating. Albion puts the grip on after the peen.

If they're using threaded components, I doubt heat is used since the grip would have to be in place prior to the peening.

This sword looks decent enough, though I wish they'd omit the metal spacers. The cross-like effect on the pommel of the original comes from the borders of 4 heart-shaped indentations. It's not an engraved cross like this one, but that's a minor quibble.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad I must have misread that it was hot penned my mistake.
I did rehilt this sword since I got it removing the spacers leaving enough exposed tang to hot peen it ,which can be done even if the grip is on the sword first.
So it is hot penned now ,also I put the guard on a diet and removed the LA stamp. Where it is nice to see the makers mark on swords the modern punch stamp they use looks very bad.
The pommel and guard for me were too black so I toned that down.
I think this sword should be sold and viewed as a XVa not as a Black Prince then it will get more respect for what it is .
Here is a photo of the 3 Black Princes out there.

Attachment: 55.74 KB
20111104_124602-1.jpg

Last edited by James Cunniffe on Fri 11 Nov, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say that this sword is aesthetically pleasing indeed .

I'd love to see closeups of it.

Cheers,

J
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some close up Julien, I think its a great sword for a project.

Attachment: 11.41 KB
20111104_124602-1-2.jpg

Attachment: 22.13 KB
20111104_124602-1-1.jpg

Pauli Vennervirta

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had one very bad experience with their older swords. I ordered their longsword and it turned out that the heat treat was bad, the blade took a set very easily. Luckily I got a better product at the same price as a refund. Hopefully your is better heat treated.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know there heat treatment have improve alot over the years.
There are a few photos of my XVa .

Attachment: 68.47 KB
20111111_180727-1.jpg

Attachment: 50.02 KB
20111111_181239-1.jpg

Attachment: 44.03 KB
20111111_181104-1.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Legacy Arms Black PrinceProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic