myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lower class Viking age kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil U wrote:
Warning: speculation ahead.

Seems to stand to reason that your typical knarr oar-puller / farmer would be armed with an axe or spear,
not a sword. Those weapons are cheaper, and it's easier to craft one of tolerable functionality. The discussion
here reminds of a remark on the above-mentioned viking info site to the effect that a small fraction of recovered
weapons from the viking age are swords.

The only thing that burials really tell us is what the living felt like burying with the dead.

But yes, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that there were more big axes on the boat than there were swords.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Phil U

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
The only thing that burials really tell us is what the living felt like burying with the dead.

But yes, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that there were more big axes on the boat than there were swords.

That's a good point about burials.

I imagine the scene like this "I'll keep the sword....put that big chopper in the grave with Uncle Olli.... it'll do in Niflheim".
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote, "The only thing that burials really tell us is what the living felt like burying with the dead."

Well, no, I disagree. I think grave finds have been a rich source of knowledge about the Vikings. I suspect that ship burials tend to skew things because they're the burials of wealthy and important people. The graves of the guys rowing the boat are generally harder to find and, I suspect, less distinctive. There have been some mass graves found recently but it seems the information from those finds hasn't been disseminated yet.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Viking         Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree with Matt on this one, burial is about ritual, about what those living wish to convey about the buried, about their status in that society and tend to adhere to the prevailing conventions of society at that time.

Some female graves display weapons but does this truly reflect their role in society, or is it a mark of status as a free person, who where allowed by law to bear weapons.

The contemporary Western European style of burial for a male tends to be a suit of jacket, trousers, tie and shirt, but how many of us actually wear a suit every day.

Best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

I think grave finds have been a rich source of knowledge about the Vikings.

Of course they are, as is all archaeology, but the goods buried are dictated by the living and are subject to the customs and social mindset of a specific point in time.
If we understand the semiotics of that culture's burial practices, then the grave goods can give us an idea of that person's sex, social standing and possibly even age (if Heinrik Harke's theories on the relationship between weapon sets and age is to be believed) but they don't give us much information about the deceased person's every day life; it's like trying to paint a picture of the countryside by looking through a keyhole....but then that's a lot of the fun of studying the early medieval period.

Ken Speed wrote:

There have been some mass graves found recently but it seems the information from those finds hasn't been disseminated yet.

Which ones? The ones in Oxford and in Dorset which seem to be fallout from the St Brice's Day Massacre? There are no weapons or other personal effects in those, but then you wouldn't expect there to be. If they are victims of the massacre then they were taken unarmed and unawares, massacred and thrown into pits.

Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't this a question of definitions? If you define a lower class viking as one who couldn't afford a sword, then a lower class viking wouldn't be carrying one, right?

the law quoted earlier (I think that is "Gulatingsloven"? "the Gula thing law" ) states that a man of a certain wealth has to own a certain kit, matt quoted the lowest class kit, axe, spear and shield. the fine for lacking one was approximately the price for buying one, so I assume everyone had this sorted. people of higher wealth were required to own swords, bows with an amount of arrows and well, a growing kit for a growing wealth...
another law, "leidangsloven", sais that every farm must send one warrior if called upon, and he has to have this kit. it states that poorer families can go together and send one, maybe 3 or 4 families would buy the gear together and the best fighter from one of these farms represented them.
scandinavia was a warrior society, warriors was highly regarded and weapons was a priority and a status symbol.

just bacon...
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Viking         Reply with quote

Phil,

My general advice would be to keep it simple at first and go for the primary weapon of thrusting spear and for defense, a shield. You can always invest in a secondary weapon as your continued interest expands and as budget allows.

But to me there is little satisfaction in owning these weapons if your personal kit is not 'correct' and I would advise expending as much consideration and thought on these as to your choice of weapons, sometimes its the finer points that create an overall quality impression.

best
Dave

Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Viking         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Phil,

My general advice would be to keep it simple at first and go for the primary weapon of thrusting spear and for defense, a shield. You can always invest in a secondary weapon as your continued interest expands and as budget allows.

But to me there is little satisfaction in owning these weapons if your personal kit is not 'correct' and I would advise expending as much consideration and thought on these as to your choice of weapons, sometimes its the finer points that create an overall quality impression.

best
Dave

Especially shoes.....why so many re-enactors spend lots of money on weapons before they've invested in a well made pair of period shoes is a constant source of annoyance.

"Look, look at my sword"
"You appear to be wearing modern combat boots wrapped in hessian."
"But look at my sword"
"Go away."

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lower class Viking age kit         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well I guess cheap and bad quality was also used but I would think that one would want to upgrade to a better sword as soon as one could afford one ?

Would there have been a minimum standard of quality for a sword that only a naive or inexperienced, or just really poor warrior, would purchase something of even lower quality ? At some point it's not a case of bending after every use but snapping in half at the first serious use.

I can see lower end but still functional swords being in use and making the really good sword stand out as even more desirable and expensive.

Good question, and I think it must have been discussed in the past... (and I mean on this forum, not in the 8th-10th C.Wink)

If you take the old sword = car analogy, I guess that everybody would prefer a new Mercedes over a 10-year old Toyota.
But if you live in a world where only one man in the village has some kind of car, then you'd be really happy if you can trade in your bicycle for that Toyota...

Perhaps the actual quality of the sword was a consideration that was of far less importance than the ownership itself, also in the sense of the status that owning a sword would give.

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
The same does not seem true of spears as some heads were diminutive and of plain iron and others do show the pattern welding we have seen in texts and museums.

Just a question, but is there any indication that the Vikings still used wooden tipped spears? The Germanics did so, according to Tacitus.

Interestingly, the Indonesians still used them in the 1940-1950's...

Matthew Bunker wrote:

It's a bit of speculation, but if you assume that the weapons buried with a warrior were meant for that person to be used in the afterlife, then it does become VERY important. Then it's not so much a courtesy to the dead, but rather providing them with the last things they desperately need. I would also not find it illogical that a person would mention in their will which weapons he wanted to take with them in the grave.

It is clear that in any case these items must have had some use in the afterlife, I mean, they even buried money with the dead... I assume that they did not do that for sentimental reasons...
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew asked, "Which ones? The ones in Oxford and in Dorset which seem to be fallout from the St Brice's Day Massacre? There are no weapons or other personal effects in those, but then you wouldn't expect there to be. If they are victims of the massacre then they were taken unarmed and unawares, massacred and thrown into pits."

Yes, and you're absolutely right; these graves don't tell us much about the belongings and equipment of the people in them.

I recently read somewhere that it was apparently a cultural universal for Vikings to file their teeth horizontally. With my tongue firmly in cheek I'd like to suggest that this explains why they were so fierce! They were maddened by the pain! I truly hope I don't read about any reenactors getting their teeth filed!

You said something about trying to learn about the Vikings was like peering at them through a pinhole and I think that's why opinions on them are so diverse. Someone likens them to organized crime in one place and someone else marvels at their ability to use Icelandic spar to navigate somewhere else.One of the problems is that people see a generic Viking and I suspect that the men who with Harold Hardrada at Stamford Bridge were a far cry from the men who raided Lindisfarne in equipment and organization and probably in training.

I suppose we should get back to topic at hand and i still think that the equipment a reenactor would need to portray a lower class Viking would be fairly minimal at least to get started.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

I recently read somewhere that it was apparently a cultural universal for Vikings to file their teeth horizontally. With my tongue firmly in cheek I'd like to suggest that this explains why they were so fierce! They were maddened by the pain! I truly hope I don't read about any reenactors getting their teeth filed!

I attended a lecture with a professor of osteoarchaeology (hope I got that right, she was anyhow specialized in the studies of old bones) She showed us picture and data on the filed teeth. And there are only a few finds (I think less than a dozen). The interesting thing, and the reason why the term "universal" has stuck, is that the finds have been distributed all over the baltic, some on Gotland, some in Denmark, yet some on the east side of the baltic, all filed with the same horizontal grooves. Her best theory was that it could have been kind of a gang-tattoo for a band of vikings, and that they either died and where buried during their raids, or that they where originallt from different areas and disbanded, settled and died in different areas.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Phil U

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Appreciate the discussion and guidance .... someone new like me could possibly piece all of this together by reading past threads and such, but rapid, on-target distillation is helpful and more importantly, encouraging. Thanks!

David and Matthew, good points about over-emphasis on weaponry, I am guilty as charged, Laughing Out Loud , having spent hours scanning weapon pics, reviews, and discussion , and nil on period clothing. I wouldn't want to be the guy in sneakers proudly brandishing a $1000 sword. This might be a stretch, but in the gardening world, it reminds me of people whose idea of gardening is going to the store and buying plants, versus grubbing in soil like a real gardener.

I'm going to see what I can learn about the more domestic aspects of viking kits, and I'll check in with my dentist about teeth filing. Wonder if my insurance covers that .....
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn said, "I attended a lecture with a professor of osteoarchaeology (hope I got that right, she was anyhow specialized in the studies of old bones) She showed us picture and data on the filed teeth. And there are only a few finds (I think less than a dozen). The interesting thing, and the reason why the term "universal" has stuck, is that the finds have been distributed all over the baltic, some on Gotland, some in Denmark, yet some on the east side of the baltic, all filed with the same horizontal grooves. Her best theory was that it could have been kind of a gang-tattoo for a band of vikings, and that they either died and where buried during their raids, or that they where originallt from different areas and disbanded, settled and died in different areas."

Wow, osteoarcheology! I have to wonder if a thousand years from now there will be archeologists who specialize in tires or spark plugs or CDs!

Seriously, thanks for the information. The implications are really interesting. Could these have been Jomsvikings? It's theory, I know, but it points to the idea that these ship's crews were from all over the Viking world. Well, maybe some crews in any case.

It could have just been a macho thing, though. You know, "I'm so tough and crazy that not only am I a Viking but I also have had my teeth filed."

My vote is for crazy, hands down! Having someone getting their teeth filed makes me ill just thinking about it!
Phil U

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
It could have just been a macho thing, though. You know, "I'm so tough and crazy that not only am I a Viking but I also have had my teeth filed."

My vote is for crazy, hands down! Having someone getting their teeth filed makes me ill just thinking about it!

Maybe vanity, mixed with hearty portions of macho and crazy. If you think about it, teeth filed even might look nicer than
snaggle-toothed dentation. Did viking women file their teeth? If so ... sexy! Surprised
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK! I think it is at least partially my fault that the discussion here has gone a bit astray.

I suspect that Matthew and I were approaching the same issue from different sides. Grave goods are, by definition, selected. Its like what is said about antique furniture, the good stuff survives because it IS good and because it looks good while the rest gets used up or destroyed.

The other question too is, "How good does a weapon have to be?" We get sort of carried away here I think with all these beautiful weapons and armor. One of William Short's video shows a guy killing an armed man with a rock! A sword doesn't need to be a pattern welded and sculpted piece of art to kill somebody, it doesn't even need to be all that sharp!

Frankly, I can think of lots of scenarios in which someone would be a member of a Viking crew with very minimal and poor quality equipment. Ummm....., "Well, after the last raid I got blind drunk and when I woke up the next morning all I had was the clothes on my back. My shipmates loaned me their spare stuff until I can get enough loot to reequip myself with good weaponry." These were Vikings, Hell's Angels with oars, not Sunday school students!
Phil U

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Frankly, I can think of lots of scenarios in which someone would be a member of a Viking crew with very minimal and poor quality equipment. Ummm....., "Well, after the last raid I got blind drunk and when I woke up the next morning all I had was the clothes on my back. My shipmates loaned me their spare stuff until I can get enough loot to reequip myself with good weaponry." These were Vikings, Hell's Angels with oars, not Sunday school students!

Gaaarrrr! Now we're talking! Laughing Out Loud

Or "I really want to get this knarr in the water and over to the soft white underbelly of Britain .... I know Sven and Olli are smelly, and ill-equipped, but we need two bodies pulling oars... they'll have to do..."
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lower class Viking age kit         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, all swords were pattern-welded as that was the method they used at the time (pre-1000 AD or so)

I think you are mistaken. Use of pattern welding starts to decline afte the 7th century. In a survey of swords in the British Museum, 100% of 7th century examples were properly pattern welded but this declines to less than 50% by the late 9th/10th century (when pattern welding is being applied as decoration onto homogenous cores).

But that's not the point I was trying to make, and sorry for not being clearer. Pattern welding isn't all of the same standard and isn't always a mark of quality.

And the Ulfberht 'fakes' point towards there having been a market for swords that looked the business but didn't cost as much or perform as well as the genuine article.

THanks Matthew,

I had forgotten about the decorative use of pattern welding as time went on. Thanks for reminding me of this.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil U wrote:
Ken Speed wrote:

Gaaarrrr! Now we're talking! Laughing Out Loud

Or "I really want to get this knarr in the water and over to the soft white underbelly of Britain .... I know Sven and Olli are smelly, and ill-equipped, but we need two bodies pulling oars... they'll have to do..."

Equally, 'And don't bring me hungover fisherman, I want spear-danes worthy of the fight, I'm not financing this voyage to lose this ship on the first strandhog ashore because of some stinking fish-gutters.'

I suppose to a large extent it depends on how you interpretate the word 'viking': as a pirate, or as the levy class of butskarl engaged in the organised expeditions of the later viking age.

See here

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/staff.php?id=neil.price

'Viking Piracy: Maritime Social Order in the Scandinavian Hydrarchy' for an overview of of an ongoing project.

best
Dave

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy; While not all swords where pattern welded, they where all laminated. That is, folded and hammered to even out impurities. But most where made from a single piece of laminated iron, rather than severald welded together, as in the pattern weld.
This is a neccesity if you are working with low carbon/impure iron, as the marsh ore iron of the dark ages, or japanese river ore. As iron smelting technology improves towards the middle ages, the need to laminate sword blades is no longer present. Thus, most medevial swords are so called monosteel sword, made from a single piece of unfolded steel.

When it comes to arms and equipment:
As allready identified, the standards equipment set down by the laws for the Leidang was spear, shield, and a axe or sword. This law is thought to date to the 950s, when the Leidang system was formalized by king Hakon the Good to defend Norway from Harald Bluetooth and his henchies.
This early law has no tiers; any equipment above the minimum was voluntary. Income based tiers where not introduced untill the 1270s. However, even then, the basic equipment did not include a helmet, and the mail armour was not required before the top tier.
Archeological studies show that weapon finds in graves gravitate towards full "sets" towards the end of the viking age, perhaps as a result of the laws.

As for the relative rarity of swords, there are currently more viking age swords than axes in Norwegian musemus. This could of course be due to more swords beeing handed in or reported by the public, but over all, the numbers are significant.
These range from the extremely ornate to the positively plain. The bar hilted Pettersen type M, for instance, is quite common.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
William P

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its interesting to read about what a lower end dane would aquire for a kit,

its in vast contrast to myself as a varangian guardsman. even if they didnt enter the gaurd as particularly rish men, the pay the guard was given would be enough to buy a sword or some armour. and, most importantly, a 2 handed axe, the guards signiture weapon fairly quickly.

this is of course assuming h couldnt have the purchase of armour and weapons paid directly thorough the treasury as part of the emporers entourage and guard

i have no idea, either way, im still being aquainted
i just know that my groupstrives to depict someone of huskarl

and will agree most common men woldnt have a helmet, some reenactment groups may or may not require one to be able to take part in combat. if your intending on fighting that is.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Lower class Viking age kit
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: