Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: "some advice on the pavel moc lichtenauer" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alwyn Retsin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Wanted: "some advice on the pavel moc lichtenauer"         Reply with quote

Dear all-who-might-read-this-post,

A few days ago, my trusted sword broke in two pieces.
To faster overcome this tragedy, I am looking for a suitable replacement and I thought about purchasing a 'Pavel Moc Lichtenauer'.

As I have never handled this weapon I am looking for advice.

Has somebody this sword in possession? What does he/she think about it. What are the handling characteristics? Complaints or recommends on the sword?

Thanks in advance,

Alwyn R
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alwyn,
I've moved your post out of our Marketplace forum. The Marketplace is not a discussion forum (it's only for sales transactions) so no one would be able to reply to you there. Moving it here will get you the advice you need.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Paul Abrams

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Pavel Moc Lichtenauer         Reply with quote

My instructor has a Pavel Moc Lichtenauer that I've handled it several times. Here are my observations.

The sword is blunt and flexible enough for drilling and free play. It seems to be holding up well.

This is a big longsword! It comes up to my armpit, and I'm 6'2". The grip is very long and helps with handling the sword. I found it somewhat difficult to cut with just one hand.

The sword has a long grip and the POB is a few fingers in front of the cross. Consequently, it moves well and has wonderful point control. This makes it easy to deliver half cuts and while I haven't used it for free play myself I think I could control heavy hits.

Since the blade is long and thin, it flexes on sloppy cuts. Some people might not like that, but I personally like this feature because it teaches good edge alignment.

Overall I like the sword quite a lot, and have been thinking of ordering my own. However, I'm leaning towards getting side rings like on Pavel's Olmutz for better hand protection.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Paul
Sjors B

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have held this sword a couple of times.
One of its better features is that it is very well balanced, so its easy to wield, despite being very large for a hand-and-a-half-sword.
Also the long grip makes it a real pleasure to handle.
The only point minus i ever experienced in Moc swords are the very thin grips, especially just above the pummel, but thats something personal. Also they are made out of a softer type of steel, wich makes them more flexible, but they damage faster when fighting against stronger swords, such as kovex

member of the langenort school for European martial arts in Nijmegen (NL)
http://www.historicalshows.com/
Alwyn Retsin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Alwyn,
I've moved your post out of our Marketplace forum. The Marketplace is not a discussion forum (it's only for sales transactions) so no one would be able to reply to you there. Moving it here will get you the advice you need.

Thank you very much. It looks like it is working.
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several Pavel Moc swords in our school. Everybody is happy with them (I own a Durrer and I strongly recommend it). Everybody but two people, the ones that own Lichtenauers.

They are relatively well-balanced, and certainly not as unwieldly as their size may suggest, but they have a softer steel than the rest of Moc's range, and do not sustain damage the way they should. Let us say that they are not ageing well.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: "some advice on the pavel moc lichtenauer"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic