Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Pattern-welded Smallseax by Thorkil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
W. Knight

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: New Pattern-welded Smallseax by Thorkil         Reply with quote

I recently decided to start commissioning some custom items to fill the needs I have for items in my new kit that cannot be obtained through either the production or made-to-order market. My plans were to have a Sutton Hoo sword, shield, and angons/spears made to finish my kit , but I would very much like to have a seax as well, so I decided to add that to my list also. Happy

I searched first for in stock pieces from the various makers, but I could not find anything I wanted there. However, I did find a knife I really liked here, http://www.thorkil.pl/knife1.htm , though it is no longer available. I have heard some good things about Mr. Grzegorz Kulig and his work, so I decided to commission a piece. Basically I just said to make the seax very similar in size and design to the one in the link above, with the exception of some changes to the colors, which is the one thing I did not like so much on that knife.

In less time than it has taken me to receive supposedly "in-stock" items from some internet companies that sell production items, Mr. Kulig crafted a very beautiful seax for me by hand. I was quite surprised by how quickly it was finished! Happy

I am very pleased with the overall experience, and the customer service provided by Mrs. Gracjana Kulig was excellent. And the wonderful craftsmanship of Mr. Kulig is equally commendable.

Being one of my first (this is actually the second, but first to be completed due to its relative simplicity) custom commissions, I went with something small and simple, while I am still sort of "testing the waters" in regards to the custom market and makers. So this is a little seax, to be used for utilitarian functions or eating, rather than a weapon. I love the beautiful pattern on the blade and am eagerly awaiting its arrival, as I have never yet owned anything made of pattern-welded steel, and would like to examine it close up. The grip is black oak, with fittings on both knife and sheath made of brass.

Below are pictures I was emailed of the finished seax. I am quite happy with how it turned out Big Grin

Viktor Abrahamson

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice.
I like his attention to details.
How long is it?
W. Knight

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The email says the blade is 10.7 cm and the handle 9.5 cm. (I think about 4.25 in. and 3.75 in., respectively, for those of us using imperial measures).
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice seax! I have been considering commissioning Thorkil for a while...nice to hear this went so well.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a sweet little Seax.
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
W. Knight

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
What a sweet little Seax.

Lol. Happy Yes, she is a very petite, yet quite lovely lady. Wink

I have read alot of things and even have some personal experience that lead me to be very wary of the custom arms and armor market, (like commissions that end up costing a great deal more money and expending a great deal more time than customers are led to believe), so I just thought it is best to start quite small when entering into the world of custom blades and such.

Just getting my feet wet, but I am so pleased to say, this has indeed been a good experience, as I indicated above. Happy
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Seax         Reply with quote

As I'm sure you have now experienced and would agree, Grzegorz and Gracjana are both a pleasure to work with when doing commissions and you can always count on Greg's undivided attention to detail and quality however large or small the commission.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always rush to see when new posts are made about his outstanding work. Congratulations with a beautiful blade!
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really good looking work there! Congratulations.
W. Knight

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Huggins,
Yes I heartily agree. Excellent craftsmanship & excellent customer service are all it takes, and Mr. and Mrs. Kulig provided both.
Mr. Storesund and Mr. Hansen,
Thanks for the congrats! I will be very proud to have a knife such as this hanging from my belt when my kit is completed. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Pattern-welded Smallseax by Thorkil
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic