Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > OHIO Sword Fiesta and Cutting Party...Date and Location Set! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: OHIO Sword Fiesta and Cutting Party...Date and Location Set!         Reply with quote

Date: Sunday October 30, 2011

Time: After lunch (or about 1 PM) until it ends and everyone goes home

Directions: Location is going to be Marysville, Ohio

I will send directions to people who are coming but I'm going to defer posting a map to my house for the entire universe to review at its leisure since there are indications coming from CERN that FTL travel might be possible, as least on a particle level (one never knows Big Grin )

Activities: Medieval weapon collection show and tell, light target cutting (18 and older only), football on TV as background noise, eating healthy or unhealthy snacks by preference, possibly wearing armor about (if any comes), possibly a fire, BUT this event is mainly about being able to see and handle an assortment of reproduction ancient/medieval/antique weapons from a variety of vendors without having to buy them all first (its all very fun)

Activities will be planned for outside assuming weather permits ( here's to hoping!!) but show and tell will go on inside even if weather does not cooperate! There is not an alternate date planned this year for this event!

There will be rags and oil available for cleaning weapons, armor, and what-not. I'll also have auto-wax and such available for coating as desired. I do recommend bringing some gloves of you own to protect you from nicks and to protect blades from prints (the bigger concern) as desired!

If you're planning to come, please consider posting a listing of the items you will bring with you. People like knowing what they will have a chance to see in advance and it avoids excessive item duplication (which is a nice consideration when travel is involved)

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 28 Sep, 2011 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Expecations         Reply with quote

...its been several years since I've hosted one of these...

A note on Firearms: They should stay at your home unless they are a reproduction of something more than 100 years old and are not going to be discharged...I live in a suburb and there are practical limits to what we can do in the backyard. If we somehow put a hole in any part of the living room I'm just a dead man.

A note on Children:This party is intended to be a social event for adult collectors and martial arts practitioners who have a hobbyist or professional interest in medieval arms and armor and militaria (as it applies).

If you have a kid who is old enough to behave as an adult and has a sincere interest in this hobby (not a Nintendo interest) I'll do what I can to make them welcome. If you're not absolutely sure that your kid can be trusted to be completely safe around this stuff, please save us all a headache and leave the kid at home this time.

A note on adults: Please act like one!

Cheers!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 28 Sep, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 6 times in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife called me at work and complained about having to clean the house for this today...so its really a go now as I'm in to deep to make it worth backing out.

I will have at least the following items on hand:
Albion Ringech w/ VA scabbard and suspension (worth seeing in its own right)
A&A Friedich IV Spear
Matuls Arming Coat
Armory Marek 15th c. Italian breast and back

Might or might not have:
Armory Marek helm and bevor (they are on the selling block since I want another bike)

Hope to have (paid a fair while ago and now waiting to receive shipment of):
Custom single hand Arma Bohemia sword
Arma Bohemia Cluny Longsword

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in! Hopefully others can make it. Being in Marysville, it's not terribly far from Columbus and is an easy enough drive from Cincy or Dayton. Folks from farther afield or other cities are, of course, also welcome. Happy

I'll certainly bring stuff that's new since our last gathering, namely:

English Cutler Ballock Dagger
2 Tod's Stuff Knives
A&A Custom Long Rondel Dagger

I can also bring anything from my collection that folks want to see. Just let me know what to bring.

The Sovereign and Regent are always popular.

Joe, let me know what food stuffs/drinks/pool noodles/pumpkins you'd like us to bring.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Justin Lee Hunt

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to go, but I can't. Life can be so irritating.
I opperate a website for my reenactment troop it's www.orderoftherouseclan.org Be sure to check out our forums www.orderoftherouseclan.proboards.com
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good Happy . It has been way too long.
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To those who have never come to something of this nature for whatever reason, it really is worth considering and attending, if you can. Sometimes there ends up being surprises. Unexpected things surface from collections that you just won't ever see, let alone handle, unless you're very lucky.

I always find that I learn or experience something new at these informal gatherings. Its interesting that they seem to have become the enduring legacy of the the Albion Round Tables from 5-7 years ago which generated such a frenzy for a time. Amazing to me that so much time has passed since the last one of those...and it passed so quickly. Searching these forums I was surprised to see that its probably been two years since many of us have gotten together to share the hobby with others of similar collecting interest.

Bottom line, it will take lots of time and you will spend lots of money to experience what you can in a day at one of these show and tells.

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but I cannot make this one. This is the weekend of the Locust Grove 18th Century Market Faire in Louisville, KY, my favorite reenactment of the year. Hope you all have a great time (I'll slice a few pumpkins for you)!
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bad news that you can't make it due to the conflict but I'm sure you'll have fun regardless!
Charles Richmond

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Much to my chagrin, I will have to mollify my employer by appearing on the property that day. Mad

Unfortunately the travel time coupled with my work schedule precludes any opportunity to participate.

My best to all, and wishes for an enjoyable afternoon.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have not taken a real dive into clean the house yet but that will come as will figuring out targets and snacks. I do have one very crappy homemade armor stand that I can now add to the mix of things for show and tell list. Cool
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gratuitous topic bump. Big Grin
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Time is nearly upon us!         Reply with quote

Address:

1486 Meadowlark Lane
Marysville, Ohio 43040

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=...CB0Q8gEwAA

Phone:

614-327-8086

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Weather on Sunday         Reply with quote

Looks like the weather will be clear, sunny and reasonably seasonable meaning that we will be able to do some things outdoors if we want. Are there any special refreshment requirements?

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Marysville+OH+43040

I have not found any pool noodles yet but I'm sure pumpkins will be around.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,
I have some noodles I can bring and might be able to find some more. I can also look for some sickly, not-suitable-for-jack-o-lantern-carving pumpkins to bring.

Can I bring any food or drink?

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should be able to cover food and drink without much difficulty.

Only thing to know is if there are going to be any special needs.

Thanks!

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Only thing to know is if there are going to be any special needs.

Thanks!

Nothing special needed for me. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All done now. More cantaloupes killed than pumpkins. A few pool noodles bought it too. Perhaps we'll all try to pull something together again in the spring and have a few more new things between us. Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > OHIO Sword Fiesta and Cutting Party...Date and Location Set!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic