Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My recent thoughts about myArmoury.com Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: My recent thoughts about myArmoury.com         Reply with quote

This is a weird topic to write. I'm not sure how to express the thoughts and I'm really unsure how it will be received, but without thinking about it too much, I'll just throw my thoughts down very quickly and see what happens.

I just logged into this site and it occurred to me--no, it hit me like a ton of bricks--that I absolutely love this site. I've learned something each day that has passed since we put up the site. More than that, I've come into contact with like-minded people who really not only share the hobby, but spread the passion for learning that I seem to crave.

We've had a few topics pop up here and there over the year+ of the forum's existence expressing thanks for this site, and giving praise to those of us who put the site up. These posts, while appreciated and certainly very pleasing to the ego, make me slightly uncomfortable. I figured out exactly why today. The fact is, anything of value on this site is directly created by its members. You guys are what add value to the site. That value extends past the forums and goes into the actual meat of the site: the articles, reviews, galleries, and albums. Each and every bit of content of the site has been created by members of this community.

So, honestly, I want to thank the members of this site for not only creating an environment that is fun and education for me, personally, but for also sharing yourselves and making for a true grouping of people who have a common set of goals and the desire to create a functional community surrounding this hobby.

I truly love this site and what you guys have made it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And thanks right back to ya! The leadership provided by the myArmoury staff has helped to shape this site into the premier sword-related site, in my humble opinion. When things start to deviate from the goals of the site, you've done a great job making sure the topics stay on track. This site has become my first stop when perusing the internet. I believe I speak for the membership when I say that the myArmoury staff has made this site an environment where the membership can flourish and enrich the content for all. THANKS!
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I'll jump on the mutual appreciation train Big Grin

As I have often said, half of the enjoyment of this hobby is sharing it with others. That's why events like Albion's Swordfest, the Atlanta Blade Show, and places like myArmoury are so important. They show each of us that we aren't alone in our sword geekdom. I often ask myself if I may be taking this hobby a bit too seriously. After all, the time and expense that I've devoted to it has been considerable. Then I see the enjoyment that others get from it, and their enthusiasm only bolsters my passion for the hobby. Nathan Bell commented that he probably seemed spastic in his enthusiasm at the latest Swordfest. If that was the case Nathan you were fitting right in with the group. For me it's simply great to communicate with people who share this obssesion.

Nathan is right in that it's good for the ego. I'd be lying if I said that I don't feel good when I meet people who recognize me from my work on this site. Everyone enjoys being recognized for their efforts. In the end though this place is truely a collective endeavor. The addition of a discussion forum on this website was approached with a good deal of trepidation. After experiencing the fora environment that seems to be all too prevalent on the internet, we were really afraid the it might be a short lived afair here at myArmoury. Much to our joy and suprise that hasn't been the case. By and large our membership has conducted themselves in an incredibly mature and congenial manner. Everyone has brought something to the table and I for one couldn't be happier. This is exactly the kind of environment we had hoped to achieve, but were honestly skeptical about it being possible.

I think I can honestly say that myArmoury.com has become the model for websites of this type. However, if we've succeeded in raising the bar it's only because that bar rests on the collective shoulders of our membership.

Thanks to all.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Patrick said. Like Nathan, I'm amazed at the sheer volume of serious and mature discussions on a variety of topics. While other fora have their share of quality discussions, there are way too many that are... not as good. I'm happy to have a small part in the content of this site, and that Patrick and I managed to convince that starting a forum might not be a bad idea at all... Big Grin Thanks, Nathan, for making this possible!
My sword site
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ,too ,would like to express thanks to Nathan and the rest of the myArmoury crew for the nod towards the membership. Like Nathan & Patrick stated, one of the most rewarding aspects,to come from this, has been the abililty to share with others of a like mind. Just in the time that I've been a member here, the knowledge, friends and just the pure joy of the hobby has greatly increased. Even though we are all individual in the styles,periods and areas of interest vary, the commom bond remains.
But again, I'd like to thank Nathan and the myArmoury crew for creating this site, for without it, the world of sword collecting would be a much emptier place.

Cheers
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Quote:
But again, I'd like to thank Nathan and the myArmoury crew for creating this site, for without it, the world of sword collecting would be a much emptier place.

William said it so well that I would like to add a simple "amen"!

I don't think any of the myArmoury team need feel uncomfortable with compliments paid by the community-- while it is "the people" (including you guys) who make this such a rich and welcoming place, you have given it shape and somehow made it all possible. While I don't want to deride any other forums, it is obvious to us all that this is a unique place. So "thank you".

David
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also like to thank Nathan and the staff for this wonderful site.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: MY thanks to myArmoury.....         Reply with quote

This is the hands-down BEST sword site on the web today. All the crew and members are what gives this site its soul. I come here every day without fail,and always leave either further educated or entertained, or both. So, having said that.........THANK YOU. You guys are the best. mcm.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having spent some serious time on various other forums I'd have to say, thank God for this one. What I've seen here should be an example to all the other, less professional forums out there. The lack of childish bickering, trolling and other undesireable activities is truely refreshing.

Thanks to all who succesfully put this thing together Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys have built something great here Nathan. I know everyone here at Albion loves this place. Not only is it brimming with insightful knowledge, thoughts, inspirations and queries, but the people who comprise it are fantastic. Thanks for bringing it to life, and keeping it going.

You done good. Big Grin

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, we have to thank you Nathan for building this place, thank all the nice and kind people with the "myArmoury Team"-tag who are sharing their knowledge, all the many, many members who also post a lot of interesting informations every day here, all the makers, smiths and cutlers (still not enough of you guys are posting here!) who inform us about their products and let us have a lot of insight on how a sword is developed, all the people who support the membership program, all the retailers who support this site with Exclusive Deals, everyone who posts wonderful pictures of events, armour, pictures and swords in the Albums.

With all this great working together some day even the Compare-tool will be up to date again! Big Grin
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I became interested in swords and armour early in 2004. I quickly found myself drawn to this site above all others. In fact, whenever I am on line, I always pay a visit here - probably too often, in fact?

"Well done" to the myArmoury.com team.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, here I am, late to the party. I can only echo the sentiments already stated. I've learned so much from this site; it really is the only place I come for serious information about arms and armor. The knowledgeable and mature caliber of the people who hang out here make learning a real treat. It's also really great that through this site, I was able to purchase my first (and hopefully not last) sword. Thanks again, all.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Jeff Gentry

PostPosted: Sat 23 Oct, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all

well i saw this and thought i would chime in also, i spend a majority of my time at the ARMA forum i am more a practioner than anything, i did have the opportunity to go to the Albion round table that Nathan Bell had in cincinnati so i have met a few folk's from this forum in real life and they were great people i enjoyed there company and insight into sword's in general and i now stop more than i did i usually just read and don't say a whole lot, i do enjoy the discussion's here immensely and they are usually very insightful.

Jeff Gentry

“Princes and Lords learn to survive with this art, in earnest and in play. But if you are fearful, then you should not learn to fence. Because a despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of all skill.”
- Fechtmeister Sigmund Ringeck, 1440
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say ditto to what everyone else has expressed. I continually learn more and more about a subject in which I have always been very interested every time I visit this site. My hat is off to Nathan and all those that make this fantastic site possible and to all of the people who share their expertise, advice and thoughts throughout the forum. Thank you!
D B
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jumping on the bandwagon a bit late, but I've seen some rather sad developments on other sites of interest of late and I'm really glad that nothing like that is going on here. Of course everyone here contributes to making this a great place but special kudos to Nathan for pushing this place to be something exceptional.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having just recently re-entered the community of sword-enthusiasts, I was very pleased to stumble upon this excellent forum. While many of the threads I've read have felt almost intimidating to me given my current knowledge of history and historical swords; I welcome the challange with open arms. Even though I'm often unable to post, I have gained a great deal from myArmoury in a very short space of time - the excellent threads on Viking grip styles and Celtic swords leap tp mind - and I consider it the best resource on the net for European blades and their history.

Many thanks to all who have been involved with making this site the rich resource of information it has become; through fascinating, well reserched posts; and excellent topic moderation.
Ken Oakes

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All
I to would like to express my heart felt appreciation and thanks to all of you for making this site an enjoyable experiance.Nathan and crew thank you for your hard work and dedication in giving us a place to share our passion for swords and there history .

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My recent thoughts about myArmoury.com
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic