Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Anglo-Saxon Custom Scabbard for Albion Thegn Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Anglo-Saxon Custom Scabbard for Albion Thegn         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury community,

I would like to display a recent commission of mine. This one required more time invested than any other scabbard I've produced before, and I'm quite pleased with it. So I'd like to show her off a bit Cool

The slide or strap bridge is a English Oak.

Please feel free to comment and or ask any questions you may have.

Thanks!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding work as usual and I also really like the buckles and all the other metal furniture.

I do have a question about there being both a suspension system and there being a strap bridge ?

I know little about the use of the strap bridge but I'm guessing that it's there for a simple belt running through it and around the waist and the suspension system being a later development ?

I guess both systems might be used where one is an older system put on for traditional conservative reasons with the other being a new fashion ? Certainly it gives the option to carry in two different ways.

Now, this may be " historically " based design or a more " fantasy " design ? ( I have no problem with either but I am curious )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Outstanding work as usual and I also really like the buckles and all the other metal furniture.

I do have a question about there being both a suspension system and there being a strap bridge ?

I know little about the use of the strap bridge but I'm guessing that it's there for a simple belt running through it and around the waist and the suspension system being a later development ?

I guess both systems might be used where one is an older system put on for traditional conservative reasons with the other being a new fashion ? Certainly it gives the option to carry in two different ways.

Now, this may be " historically " based design or a more " fantasy " design ? ( I have no problem with either but I am curious )

Thank you Jean.

The slide or strap bridge is an interesting discussion at the very least. Most would assume it's use for a baldric to slide through and be carried over the shoulder. However, as it is commonly called a strap bridge, the very meaning of those words also defines the use here on this scabbard. It is serving it's purpose as a bridge over straps, and the leather wrap on the top & bottom of the bridge seen here serves the function of holding the other straps down on the back side of the scabbard. I would like to think of it as being historically plausible, rather than fantasy. But as discussed in other threads, the actual use of the slide isn't clear.

This scabbard is closely based on the design of Peter Johnsson seen here in this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12131

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information as I was assuming a different use for the strap bridge, but as you mention there is some ambiguity about function if I understood you correctly.

Oh, and I only used the word " fantasy " in opposition to it being strictly " historical " but not with the meaning of it being unrelated to history ..... hard to find a word for maybe historical or maybe plausibly historical etc ....

Unfortunately " fantasy " can be interpreted as a pejorative term since it is often associated with flashy low cost wallhangers and this wasn't my intent here. Big Grin Cool ( I'm pretty sure you understood my meaning but just making sure I was clear ).

Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understood Wink

My last Father's sword scabbard I consider a fantasy piece. But then it comes to something like this, without historical evidence to back it up, I like to refer to it as 'historically plausible' Big Grin

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is wonderful Brian! Big Grin

I think that "Historically reminiscent" is a good phrase to apply to this scabbard. It is more "like" the "kinds of things" that one might find rather than what has actually we have found so far. That sort of thing can carry as much weight as what has actually been found. Besides, until we dig up everything from everywhere we are only stabbing at things in the half light. And even then things will remain forever tentative.

It is beautiful work.

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous!!! I really like the tooling and the chape. Outstanding work Brian!!!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words.

This one has a lot of 'lost' hours I just didn't keep track of. I was so involved with it both on the design end, and finally implementation. It's always nice to see your hard work come to fruition.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian I think that all your work has that special something that makes the leather seem to glow from an inner light and with just the right balance of detail work contrasting to plain areas emphasizing clean and beautiful lines.
Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would it be at all possible for you to post (or PM me) a pic or two of the back side of that scabbard? I am very curious as to the strapping arrangement.
Skjaldborg Viking Age Living History and Martial Combat
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,

Your work is improving at an impressive rate. Where I can really see it is with the chape. You've made big strides in that area within the last year. I especially like this chape, very nice shaping and detail. I have an Albion Jarl that should really have a scabbard. Whenever that happens I think you're the man.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the very kind words everyone.

I'll see what I can do for a backside pic.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Anglo-Saxon Custom Scabbard for Albion Thegn
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic