Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > in need of original quote from Il Principe. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Boris R.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: in need of original quote from Il Principe.         Reply with quote

Hello,

I am pretty sure You all heard the often mispelled quote from 1513. book 'Il principe' (The Prince) by Niccolò Machiavelli

Before all else, be armed.

So, seeing as my italian is worse than bad, I am in need of help.
Could somebody please provide me with the original quotation from the book, written in 16.century italian language?
I would be eternaly grateful to that person.

Cheers,

Boris

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Graham Baynes

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was bored and looking for something to do so I did a google search for Before all else be armed original italian translation and it came up with this.

Prima di ogni altra cosa, siate armati!

I won't post the site I found this on as it turned out to be a forum for a group of people that to be honest make me sick Mad

Anyway I hope this helps. Happy
Boris R.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, this is the closest that I could get, now I just need a verification from a native italian speaker:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VI - De principatibus novis qui armis propriis et virtute acquiruntur (I principati nuovi conquistati con le proprie armi e capacità)
Il principe prudente deve attenersi all'esempio degli uomini grandi, perché le vicende umane si ripetono (imitazione «storica»). Al principato si arriva o per fortuna o per virtù: in quest'ultimo caso la conquista è più stabile, come mostrano gli esempi di Mosè, Ciro, Romolo, Teseo e Gerone siracusano.
È indispensabile però il possesso di una propria forza militare: i profeti armati vincono, quelli disarmati periscono. Esempio clamoroso,
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

so, I run it through the google translator, and this is the result:

È indispensabile però il possesso di una propria forza militare ~ It is essential to retaining possession of its own military force

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is essential the possession of a military force of one's own.

One has to rely on his own military, not on a mercenary force. A mantra of machiavelli. I have lost in a move my copy of the Principe, the original text is available here http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Il_Principe . You seem to have a modern italian resume.

"Di qui nacque che tutti li Profeti armati vinsono, e li disarmati rovinarono;" from here it was born out that all the armed prophets won, the unarmed ones went into ruin ... etc etc
Boris R.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
It is essential the possession of a military force of one's own.

One has to rely on his own military, not on a mercenary force. A mantra of machiavelli. I have lost in a move my copy of the Principe, the original text is available here http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Il_Principe . You seem to have a modern italian resume.

"Di qui nacque che tutti li Profeti armati vinsono, e li disarmati rovinarono;" from here it was born out that all the armed prophets won, the unarmed ones went into ruin ... etc etc

Thank you Bruno, I think the modern quote is derived from this here original sentence:

Nel primo caso capitano sempre male, e non conducono cosa alcuna; ma quando dipendono da loro proprii, e possono forzare, allora è che rare volte periclitano.

Btw great link! I am indebted to you for your help Exclamation

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > in need of original quote from Il Principe.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic