Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Documentation of your collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Documentation of your collection         Reply with quote

So this is thread is prompted by one a few weeks ago where we were noting that swords by various high end custom makers don't seem to come up on the secondary market all that often. Specifically at the time we were talking about Patrick Barta, but really you could say the same for Vince Evans, Peter Johnnson or folks like Jacob Powning.

Part of the speculation I put forth was that they didn't come up on the market because those that can afford them can afford to keep them even in tough economic times. I suggested that the only time those swords are typically going to go anywhere is when an estate is broken up.

That got me to thinking however. What if you were hit by a bus today? What would happen to your collection? Have you in any way documented your items so that whoever inherits them from you will know their true worth and not let them go for ten dollars at an estate sale, let the kids hack on telephone poles and concrete blocks in the back yard or pawn them at the local pawn shop?

I can say I haven't. That's not to say I've got an enormously valuable collection, but I do have some very nice pieces that definitely shouldn't be sold for pocket change. I think I had better catalogue my items just in case.

Obviously if you've got a couple of old beaters it's probably too much effort but there are several here that have far more valuable collections then that. Heck if you own a single sword by one of the high end production companies it shouldn't be sold for pocket change.

So how about you?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not documented each individual piece's provenance, but I have documented who gets the more important pieces and those people have a pretty good idea of the history of the higher end pieces or the actual antiques. As for the Del Tins et al I'm not that concerned.

Food for thought.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guess that's one advantage of cleaning it out....don't really have to worry about what happens to a breast and back, a sword, and a spear. Eek!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My collection is less than an year old, and right now doesn't boast anything more amazing than my 2 Albion swords. However, I do have plans to expand that collection over the years and eventually get some higher end pieces. Like you, I have thought about this and even talked about it with my wife. She knows my wishes concerning my collection, and she definitely knows enough about what I've paid for them to not let them go for pocket change. Once I get some higher end pieces I will definitely include mention of them in my will. I think that if my children have an appreciation for my collection then they can have it. If not then I will have them sold here or given to a friend who will give them a good home.
Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well with my collection I have few bucks put into it, and I always considered my kids taking it if I ever passed on, then then again would they just let it rust away. And at that moment I read the thread about somebody wanting to be buried in their armor and thought that would make for an interesting funeral... one last and eternal suiting of the kit.

but then again, armor and swords are meant to be used and banged up, so I would ultimately just pass it down and let my kids and and their future kids just use it to to whatever end so they could get just as much of an enjoyment as I have gotten out of it.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hadn't thought about who will inherit my collection, but perhaps I should. My homeowners policy covers my Jake Powning sword, my Jody Samson, and a few A&As, but the rest is undeclared. I have a niece, but she's rather girly, and wouldn't want my swords Happy
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... That makes several people with no actual plans. Fortunately I have a solution for you all: I am young and relatively healthy. Will your collection to me... then take up some dangerous hobbies. Wink
"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I keep Excel spreadsheets, one for my collection & one for my library ), with the item and its replacement cost. My wife knows where to find them. I don't have anything willed to anybody, though.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ, you sharing your thoughts about this finally prompted me to create a quick and easy cataloging of my collection, noting each piece's name, maker, year of purchase, year and area of historical original and an individual number which is then linked to an approximate value/cost in a separate document. I've no antiques or anything of the likes in my collection, but since it is made up mostly of items from A&A and spring steel armour parts from BestArmour there is still a significant amount of money involved.

As for a testament, I'm still young enough to think that I'll live forever. Wink
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
Hmmm... That makes several people with no actual plans. Fortunately I have a solution for you all: I am young and relatively healthy. Will your collection to me... then take up some dangerous hobbies. Wink

LOL. Excellent. There's a true altruist in our midst. Happy

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emil Andersson wrote:
Russ, you sharing your thoughts about this finally prompted me to create a quick and easy cataloging of my collection, noting each piece's name, maker, year of purchase, year and area of historical original and an individual number which is then linked to an approximate value/cost in a separate document. I've no antiques or anything of the likes in my collection, but since it is made up mostly of items from A&A and spring steel armour parts from BestArmour there is still a significant amount of money involved.

As for a testament, I'm still young enough to think that I'll live forever. Wink

Fantastic, then it was definitely worth the few minutes it took me to type up the initial post.

I also just couldn't help thinking about seeing various items on the Antiques Road Show that have no written provenance whatsoever but do come complete with some absurd family legend about what it is and who it belonged to. I can just imagine our desendants in 100 years telling some appraiser somewhere about how that Albion Talhoffer was carried by great grandpa so and so in Vietnam or Uncle whats his name used that Arms and Armor Gustav Vasa for skewering foes during the civil war.

I wasn't really thinking in terms of wills (unless of course you have some really valuable items) but now that you all mention it I guess that's not a terrible idea either. In those terms maybe I better get my priorities straight and quit worrying about cataloguing my collection and get the will taken care of. It's one of those things I keep meaning to do...

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I bite the big one my wife would have to come here to find out what I actually have and it's value. Happy

Inheriting my collection would be more a hassle than anything else for my wife!

I only have one child, a daughter, but I suppose there is a small chance she may apprciate my hobby! Confused
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I wasn't really thinking in terms of wills (unless of course you have some really valuable items) but now that you all mention it I guess that's not a terrible idea either. In those terms maybe I better get my priorities straight and quit worrying about cataloguing my collection and get the will taken care of. It's one of those things I keep meaning to do...

My collection is important to me. I've been interested in this for my whole life, even if my collection has only just recently truly taken off. I hope my kids know that and treat my valuables with respect, treasuring them like I do, but I think that adding specifics about them in my will should add that extra little emphasis.

On another note, this thread got me thinking. I fully expect my wife to outlive me. The night I responded to this post I asked her if she would bury me with my favorite sword, whatever that sword is when I bite it. She said that she had actually thought about it. Might or might not. An interesting thought.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm more of less like chad - i've got things listed down for both my swords and library.

once i go no one else in my family or friends will find any value in my swords/ knives. maybe i should leave a note behind stating that they should post them up on this site - the seller might get what their worth.

as for my books i'd like to see my local library or my old college take them.

naw i wouldn't ask to be buried with my swords, i can't take it with me anyway. maybe if i one day go to jerusalem i'd ask to be buried with my legs crossed, think that would be my only request.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Time to make up that will and specify where my stuff is going upon my demise. I promised two people specific pieces from my collection, and I figure I better specify the rest since I'm afraid my wife, bless her heart, would just put the stuff on Ebay for what she can get for it all if I don't specify where it should go. :-)
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have photos of my edged weapons and firearms as well as documented serial numbers for the latter. These are located on my home computer and stored on paper in my office. (somewhere other than your home is a good place to keep backup information) The value of everything is listed as well, in the event of of my untimely demise my wife will know their value in case she's forced to sell everything. I have a few firearms ear marked for the kids but none of them have a serious interest in my edged weapons, so those will probably be sold off after I pass.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bennison N

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm taking my Tengpai and Yanmaodao into the next life with me. Along with some other personalised items I have gathered over the years.

As for the rest, I can't take it with me, so I don't care what happens to it. My six nephews can have what they like and the rest can be sold off to whoever for whatever.

Unless I have a niece before then, in which case she can have them all. Because being a girl in my family, she'll want to be the boss, and will take any opportunity to get some type of control over the boys. And who am I to stand in the way of the course of nature, right? HAhahaha!

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I keep both an electronic Word document and a hardcopy of my current collection. I don't have the values listed (I'm afraid to find out how much money i've blown over the years!), but maybe I should.
I have pics of most of my collection, on my computer.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I have photos of my edged weapons and firearms as well as documented serial numbers for the latter. These are located on my home computer and stored on paper in my office. (somewhere other than your home is a good place to keep backup information) The value of everything is listed as well, in the event of of my untimely demise my wife will know their value in case she's forced to sell everything. I have a few firearms ear marked for the kids but none of them have a serious interest in my edged weapons, so those will probably be sold off after I pass.

I didn't think about the picture angle, but that's a really good idea. My wife is more conversant in swords then most since she's had to put up with me for the last decade or so, but it will save her some hassle to not have to figure out what I'm talking about when I mention the XYZ sword, with pictures she wouldn't have to.

Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I didn't think about the picture angle, but that's a really good idea. My wife is more conversant in swords then most since she's had to put up with me for the last decade or so, but it will save her some hassle to not have to figure out what I'm talking about when I mention the XYZ sword, with pictures she wouldn't have to.

It's also valuable regarding theft. It's much easier to provide the police a photo of your pattern welded transitional Oakeshott Type XXXIVII.2b than to try and explain it. Making sure a collection is covered in your homeowners insurance is also a good idea, not just for theft but natural disaster as well.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Documentation of your collection
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: