Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vendelperiod Clothing and armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Vendel         Reply with quote

The contacts are believed to be as early as the Marcommanic Wars. A recent find of a Roman helm mask on Gotland would also perhaps confirm the earlier contacts back to the third century if the dating is correct. Certainly the area did not exsist in isolation from the Roman world or its heirs on the Continent.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Don H.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Gilman wrote:
Here is a Vendel kit I made for myself. (Moderator-This is my personal work, I do not do private commissions so don't take down please)
I made most of my kit (right) and the helmet for my friend on the left. The helmet on the left is based on what the archeologist thought the Vendel 14 helm was going to look like. (spring steel and fine silver) Mine is based on the Valsgärde 5 helm.(spring steel and gilded copper alloys.) Splinted vambraces are also spring and gilded)
My shield is comprised of 6 oak planks, tapered from 8mm to 5mm, covered in rawhide with a raised spring steel boss, surrounded by gold foils inspired by the Sutton Hoo boss.

Helm closeup:

God it is beautiful but is that a black bear fur?
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone

recently i read an article in Wikipedia about Avars. It also had an illustration, that according to the article is not modern, but a redrawing of a period one. (Avars, it seems were around from 6th to 9th century,)

Link to picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Khazar_1.gif

The description reads: Warrior with captive, redrawn from a ewer of the Treasure of Nagyszentmiklós. There is no agreement as to whether he represents an Avar, a Bulgar or a Khazar warrior.

This seems to be the original picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bulgar_warior.jpg

Anyway, the interesting thing is that the horseman on the picture seems to be wearing arm- and leg armour quite similar to the splints found in the vendel greaves.
Also the mail armour depicted theare reminds me more like something from the bayeux tapestry. Didnt know they used that long shirts with quite long sleaves so early.

Another interesting thing (atleast to me) Is that both warriors, or atleast the horseless one seems to be wearing the lower part of his long mailshirt wrapped around both of his legs. Ive seen it on some other images and never figured what to make of it. Seems rather uncomfordable though.

Quite interesting stuff, in case the large golden disc thing is authentic ofcourse.
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don H. wrote:

God it is beautiful but is that a black bear fur?

Thank you Don, and yes it is, why do you ask?

Chris

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vendelperiod Clothing and armour
Page 15 of 15 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: