Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hunting DaggerDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 17 May, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Hunting Dagger         Reply with quote

I just finished this piece last night. It's a birthday present for a very good friend of mine.

It's based on a 'generic' 16thC hunting dagger, but this style of knife continued to be carried centuries later by sailors etc.

The pommel and guard are brass. I carved the shell/guard from 3mm sheet and turned the handle and (screw) pommel. The blade is 10.5" long carbon steel that I did not make myself, but I had to re-profile and sharpen it.

It's turned out to be remarkably well balanced and lively, so I think I will make another for my own collection (this one is going to a good home where it will be cherished).

Attachment: 33.05 KB
Hunting Dagger 2.JPG

Attachment: 36.27 KB
Hunting Dagger 3.JPG

Attachment: 36.83 KB
Hunting Dagger 1.JPG

D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 17 May, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really nice work Julien.

It's quite an under represented type of weapon in the reproduction field. The blade suits the fittings perfectly. If you do make another, please share it also.

Darren.
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's very nice Julian - can you let us know how you finished the blade - looks nice and clean .....
You've prompted me to post some of my work with daggers which I must do soon !

R. McCarthy
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Ross - I profiled the blade (carefully!) using a belt sander, then went through the grades of sandpaper polishing it, ending up with a satin finish at around 400 grit. I don't like shiny, highly polished blades as I think they look 'unauthentic' (and besides, they never stay shiny without lots of work!).

It's not a perfect polish, but I think that also adds to its 'authentic' look.
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add to this old one of mine with a similar piece: I spent the long Easter weekend making up another dirk/dagger incorporating elements from pieces I have made in the past that really appealed - the spiral carved grip, the carved shell guard, lots of shiny brass!

The blade on this is a heavily modified parrying dagger blade, 13.5" long, the original blade was not made by me! The brassware/woodwork is entirely my own work. It's a large piece (19.5" overall) but still very elegant and in proportion.

I made this one for myself, and it turned out to be a challenging and worthwhile project. Hope it inspires you all.

Julian

Attachment: 41.81 KB
Dirk 2.JPG

Attachment: 52.54 KB
Dirk 3.JPG

Attachment: 55.44 KB
Dirk 5.JPG

Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another long holiday weekend (thanks Will & Kate!) and time to finish off another hunting dirk/dagger. This time, instead of spirals and lobes, I have gone for a more angular (Germanic?) feel. Again, blade is a modified parrying dagger blade by others, everything else is my own work. Everything on this dagger is octagonal (ie. has 8 facets) from the grip to the guard to the ferrule etc. etc.

Time to move on to something different - I've made a start on another bollock dagger (I gave my last 2 away). I'll post pics when it's done (eventually!).

Thanks for looking,

Julian

Attachment: 46.84 KB
Octogon Dagger 3.JPG

Attachment: 70.83 KB
Octogon Dagger 2.JPG

Attachment: 55.82 KB
Octogon Dagger 1.JPG

Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's a side-by-side shot of the two daggers:

Attachment: 83.14 KB
Dirks 1.JPG

Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very nice... I was just in the Smithsonian Museum of the Native American and they had something just like it in the European Edged weapons case.
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before the heavens opened up and soaked everything (including my Dremel - boo hoo!), I had the chance this morning to complete yet another dagger.

This time, I wanted something workmanlike - an everyday huntin' & killin' dagger, if you like - so instead of the fancy brassware, there is a simple cross (less finely cast than the others) without a shell/side guard and a simple brass pommel knob and ferrule. The blade is from the same place as the others, and is again 13.5" long, but this time it's got a satin finish, and has a few slight dings in it. The grip is a piece of antique walnut, and has a waisted (18thC?) profile that is simple yet very elegant (at least, I think so!). A word of advice from my bandaged thumb - don't sharpen the blade until after you mount it to the hilt!!

Hope it inspires you all to similar efforts. Next weekend, I must get on with these bollock daggers (once my thumb is back in action!).

Julian

Attachment: 45.79 KB
Plain Dagger 1.JPG

Attachment: 52.28 KB
Plain Dagger 3.JPG

Attachment: 56.46 KB
Trio of Daggers.JPG

Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And for those of you out there who are unsure how to use such daggers, here's a little illustration showing the proper way to bring down a stag when in full view of the Queen (Elizabeth 1 in this case), taken from Blackmore's "Hunting Weapons" in turn taken from the memorial brass of John Selwyn, Walton-on-Thames.

Please do not try this at home, folks!

Attachment: 43.34 KB
Huntsman.jpg

Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. Really very pretty pieces! I like them.

And the picture is hilarious... But what bothers me... How did he came on to the stags back in he first place? Did they really do this back then?

Best regards,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas,

Thanks,

Apparently, John Selwyn (d.1587) was a Keeper at Oatlands Park, who leaped from his horse at full gallop onto the back of a stag, then brought it down at the feet of the Queen!

Not something I'd ever like to try myself, but I bet it got her (Elizabeth I) attention and probably made him the talk of the court for a while.

Julian
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another addition to my dagger collection (just finished polishing this up this morning). I wanted to make something that had a more 'maritime' feel to it.

The blade is the same 13.5" one as in the above daggers (I need to get some more of these as I don't have many left). The grip is a piece of old oak. All the brassware I made myself from sheet/bar/rod etc.

It's another simple, functional design that looks really elegant and practical (for a dagger!), but in order to give it that 'sea dog' look, I added a compass rose/north star feature pinned to the pommel cap, which finishes the design off nicely.

Julian

Attachment: 66.01 KB
Sailors Dirk 2.JPG

Attachment: 51.8 KB
Sailors Dirk 1.JPG

Attachment: 53.94 KB
Sailors Dirk 3.JPG

Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's another one I just finished this evening. It has the same type of 13.5" blade as the others, and all the brasswork was done from bar and sheet stock. This time, however, I made the grip from a lovely piece of laburnum wood.

Again, I hope it inspires you all to try some ideas out yourselves. I know I have hugely enjoyed wasting my weekends making these (dodging the rainstorms and gales of a British Summer!) - I am left with a collection that is truly unique, truly an expression of my personal tastes, and truly meets my high (self) critical expectations!

Julian

Attachment: 37.17 KB
Laburnum Dagger 1.JPG

Attachment: 52.17 KB
Laburnum Dagger 2.JPG

Attachment: 52.71 KB
Laburnum Dagger 4.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hunting DaggerDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic