Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > favorite type XII Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: favorite type XII         Reply with quote

does anyone have a favorite type XII they have handled?

i have only ever handled a valiant armory practical 303s,it seemed to be a good style. that was a few years ago.

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might laugh, but one sword that twenty years from now I may end up kicking myself for selling is an Albion squire line knightly I (now) used to own. As a testament to the very fine details that only come with hand finished items, I can't tell you how many different Albion type XII swords I've had in hand, or how many examples of this exact sword I've picked up and swung around, but somehow the final grind on the one I had was both unique (I haven't yet held another one that felt quite like it in hand - either next gen or squire line) and just plain "right" to me.

Normally, the type XII hasn't been around my specific areas of focus historically, but I'll say that that specific sword was one of the last to go as I've been cleaning out the house. I sent it to a good and loving home, but it will be missed, no matter how completely pointless it was for me to have it at all. . . Happy
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a tough one to answer because this is one of the more variable types. I have owned and liked ones that range from light and lively to big beasts, and liked them all. But for most people an Albion knight/caithness/laird would hit the sweet spot.

Since you are 'almost 16' (just read your other post) I'm going to also reccomend the Squire line sword - less expensive and blunt is probably a good idea until you learn to be cautious like us old farts. The reason we are cautious is that all those things that only happen to other people eventually happen to you. So I practiced with blunts for years before daring to use sharps.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...ightly.htm
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah, i only have 1 sharp sword that i NEVER cut stuff with.
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

an XII that i have been drooling over for a long time has been the Angus Trim XII.5
it looks awesome!!!!!!!! Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might want to try asking shootermike/Mike Harris. I seem to remember him saying that the XII are his favorite type.

Since you mentioned one of Gus's swords, I will mention the XII.1 that Tried and True currently sells. That's one is at the top of my list for upcoming purchases. You can find Mike's review at this link. http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...e=1#233105

From the pictures, the cross section looks hexagonal. I'm not aware of any XII's with a hexagonal cross-section, so it might not be as historically accurate as the Albion models that have been mentioned. Still, the swords that Gus makes are known for their superb handling, and the price isn't too bad either.

I'm excited to see what you choose. Make sure and let us know when you get it.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
You might want to try asking shootermike/Mike Harris. I seem to remember him saying that the XII are his favorite type.

This is very good advice. He has literally dozens of Type XII swords.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as type XII's, I have only handled the Albion Knight and it is my favorite type XII of course. Wink It is an extremely lively sword with just the right amount of punch with an amazing amount of maneuverability.

I own an Albion Solingen but this is more of a type XIV in my opinion though some may call it a type XII.

I would own a Knight if I didn't already own a Solingen which is from the same era.

I really, really like this sword.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I agree with Jonathan. The most lively Type XII have have personally owned was an Albion Squire Knightly. The sword feels wonderful in the hand, the only thing I would change about it would be to give it a nicer Type J or K pommel - like they did when they reworked their Squire Great Sword. It might be on the aesthetically meh side, but the thing cuts awesomely - and it's my favorite Type XII.

Now, for my favorite Type XIIa - that is a bit of a different story, but it's not the topic here so I will refrain from *cough cough Angus Trim cough* discussing it in this thread. Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > favorite type XII
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic