Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Atrim arming swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Atrim arming swords         Reply with quote

hello,

this is my first time to start a topic so bear with me. i have been looking at Angus Trim's swords recently, specifically the XII arming swords. they are all VERY nice! Happy to the point though. i am wanting to get a good arming sword that will last and do all i need it to. i want this to my best sword. my question is which of the XII single hand/arming swords are the most agile and fast? i want this to be a very well balanced and agile sword that i can keep as my main sword.
thank you for your input.

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Adam Bohnstengel

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Austin, my best advice to you would be to find some swords in your area and handle them. Local HEMA, WMA, and ARMA groups (not to mention and members here that might be close) should all have examples on hand, and from my experience are happy to help. It's difficult to nail down a "best" sword, because of both personal preferance, and the intended use. Now, type XII swords should all be fairly similar, but blade length, pommel and guard style, and points of balance / percussion are personal choices. For example, I'm a big guy at 6'4" 300lbs, and I can easily wield a larger sword with the balance farther out than my wife at 5'2" would ever want to. There's also the grip material to think about, but I think cord wrapped is pretty standard.

I guess my question to you is, have you handled any Atrim swords yet? Albion? Arms and Armor? Any of them might call to you, and the more of them you swing around, the better. I'll compare it to guns for a minute. Glocks are great guns, both on paper and in the real world, but something about their grip or hand postition makes me hate them. I hadn't even considered my Springfield XD, but once in my hand, I knew it was for me.

Bottom line, go out and swing some swords first!

Violence is the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.
Sean Poynter

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Austin, you're about an hour away from Kult of Athena, judging by a quick google map search between Elgin and Darien. My advice would be to make the drive up there and handle one of the two arming swords they have in stock (their site has up to date stock lists). Plus, the people there are great and you'd be supporting a local business that we're fortunate to have Wink
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have handled only one atrim a long time ago and remember it was good. i currently own a genuine Masai sword from Africa and a darksword armoury black knight ( at a bit over 3 lbs it is really heavy!). i have never handled an albion or an arms and armor sword though. i am on a very tight budget!
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

another thing, where would nearby ARMA places be? i have looked for them but haven't had any luck.
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

after looking in depth a bit, i think i like the XII.5 a good bit more than the others, has anyone ever had experience with it? if so then i would like to know what you think of it.

thanks! Happy

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Adam Bohnstengel

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Austin D.G. Hill wrote:
another thing, where would nearby ARMA places be? i have looked for them but haven't had any luck.

http://www.qcarma.org/home/about-us
That's the only ARMA group I saw in your area (Illinois, right?), but that's not to say there aren't any smaller, non-recognized study groups out there. I don't know how to go about looking for other WMA / HEMA groups though, I stopped at ARMA.

Can you provide a link to your current sword of choice?

Violence is the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes. the one i am most interested in is this one,
http://triedandtruearmory.com/zc/index.php?ma...ucts_id=26
it is what i will most likely get

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Poynter wrote:
Austin, you're about an hour away from Kult of Athena, judging by a quick google map search between Elgin and Darien. My advice would be to make the drive up there and handle one of the two arming swords they have in stock (their site has up to date stock lists). Plus, the people there are great and you'd be supporting a local business that we're fortunate to have Wink

This is the best advice offered here. I would love to have the opportunity to handle to many different swords before buying one.
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

do they actually allow you to dry handle swords at kult of athena without buying anything?
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure they do. You can call them and see what they have on hand for you to handle.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Atrim arming swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic