Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone seen the Patrick Barta sword on his website? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Anyone seen the Patrick Barta sword on his website?         Reply with quote

http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-antiquit..._of_d_type

(I am lousy at putting up links...)

That is one amazing piece of deadly art! Eek!

That takes things to new heights I think.

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
W. Knight

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, your link works just fine. Happy

That is definitely a very interesting new sword. I have never yet seen one with this style of decoration. I particularly like the faces on the either end of the grip! Looking at the rest of the swords on his site, I realize that (other than a couple of celtic swords made by Jake Powning that I have seen pics of) Patrick Barta has made nearly all of the modern recreations of historical swords that most excite my admiration.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick's work is just awing. he applys so may stills into his sword making from pattern wielding to craftsmanship related to jewlery.

my favorite is #206 the silver inlayed rapier from Dresden, Germany.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What's aggravating to me is that Barta's work seems to virtually NEVER show up on the secondary market! Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holy mother of god....the level of finish on this man's work just blows my mind. The consistency of it too.

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't even express my amazement of his work like this!

I'm sure most of his work at this level is probably under glass in various owner's private collections and probably will never see the light of day on the used market ever. This is high art level creations and not simply show off weapons.
Justin H. Núñez

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still wonder how his stuff handles and cuts. I am sure that it is amazing and just like an original piece. Truly stunning stuff.

Maybe we should have a Barta picture archive thread of all known pieces. Although his website does a pretty good job. I still wonder what would happen if he did a fantasy type piece, something that he could just let loose his creative powers on.

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick is a superb craftsman.

Paul
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would literally kick a baby for that...we're all thinking it, i'm just saying it

LOL

sverð er manni vargr, af bardaga er dýrð, í dauða er dýrð.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
I can't even express my amazement of his work like this!

I'm sure most of his work at this level is probably under glass in various owner's private collections and probably will never see the light of day on the used market ever. This is high art level creations and not simply show off weapons.

Can't say it any better: Totally " unbelievable " in a good way ! Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drool, drool. Ah, my screen is all drooled on! What a piece. Patrick does truly outstanding work.
William P

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

only in a place like this would i be saying 'uhubba hubba hubba over a sword.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:

I suspect that's exactly right. I'm guessing that for the most part anyone that is a serious enough collector to own Barta's pieces probably has the financial wherewithal to weather most financial storms and thus not have to sell the pieces for financial reasons (a major reason for secondary turnover in my estimation.)

In addition, anyone that is willing to wait 3+ years for a Barta piece probably has locked down just what their collecting interests are and is unlikely to be affected by the changing fads of the community and so is not constantly rotating pieces through their collections (another major reason for secondary turnover in my estimation.)

Just my theories on the matter.

Sometimes stuff does happen I suppose, the memorable dissolution of Thomas Macdonald's Vince Evans collection comes to mind, so I suppose there's always the possibility of a number of pieces showing up some day. However, I think for the most part the only way that is going to happen is with the liquidation of estates... in which some angst ridden 15 year old will probably end up with the piece for 25 bucks at an estate auction... Happy

Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

I suspect that's exactly right. I'm guessing that for the most part anyone that is a serious enough collector to own Barta's pieces probably has the financial wherewithal to weather most financial storms and thus not have to sell the pieces for financial reasons (a major reason for secondary turnover in my estimation.)

In addition, anyone that is willing to wait 3+ years for a Barta piece probably has locked down just what their collecting interests are and is unlikely to be affected by the changing fads of the community and so is not constantly rotating pieces through their collections (another major reason for secondary turnover in my estimation.)

Sometimes stuff does happen I suppose, the memorable dissolution of Thomas Macdonald's Vince Evans collection comes to mind, so I suppose there's always the possibility of a number of pieces showing up some day. However, I think for the most part the only way that is going to happen is with the liquidation of estates... in which some angst ridden 15 year old will probably end up with the piece for 25 bucks at an estate auction... Happy

Oh I don't know about the Financially secure part Russ, as I have one!!

3 or more (5 for me) is a long time to save up. I love my Barta though it is a more simple type visually than some of his other pieces. The iron-inlay on mine did make the price not in-substantial.

Regarding handling, at least with mine, I can say that it is fabulous- for the type. My type XI has just the handling I imagined in my mind. It's as if Patrick was reading my thoughts when he made it!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

So sad but true! I shudder to think of some unknowing noob on Ebay selling off a collection of Barta's work after inheriting it to some guy who wanted a "Battle Ready" sword collection to hack watermelons. I figure someday there will be bargains for his stuff on-line, but probably not for many years.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, that's how I got my Patrick Barta sword -- eBay. Seriously. Someone needed the money, I guess. And not too many other people bid on it. Lucky me!
I have made some outrageous deals on eBay, that Barta sword was one of them....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Hey, that's how I got my Patrick Barta sword -- eBay. Seriously. Someone needed the money, I guess. And not too many other people bid on it. Lucky me!

I almost bid on that, but then after learning you were bidding, I stayed out. Alright, that sounds altruistic. The whole story involves me being cheap and not wanting to spend the money. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, just for you, Nathan, here it is.... with a pic of the original from Pierce's Swords of the Viking Age. It's gorgeous, and massive, one of the largest and heaviest single-hand swords I've ever handled (but this may be fully in keeping with the original, when it was new anyway)....

Attachment: 98.62 KB
0204pbviksword1.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:

You got lucky...I hope I can duplicate this feat someday when I have money ready in the bank for a purchase like this. :-)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rats! I've got to peruse ebay more often. I wouldn't have been as cheap... er altruistic I mean as Nathan. Wink I wonder how many Barta swords there really are floating around after all?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone seen the Patrick Barta sword on his website?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic