Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kendo Kote or Egg Armor for Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
K. Larson

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Kendo Kote or Egg Armor for Longsword         Reply with quote

Continuing the eternal search for adequate hand protection...

Does anyone have any experience using Kendo gauntlets (kote) for longsword sparring? They seem similar in design to the non-metal ensifer gloves that cost a fortune and seem so well-regarded. Having only pictures, I can't get a feel for the level of protection and mobility (the thumb seems like it might be fairly rigid).

Likewise, I'm interested in first-hand experiences with Egg Armor gauntlets.

Any hands on experience would be welcomed.

Thanks.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've used kendo kote occasionally... they are no reall better than lacrosse gloves honestly.
David Clark

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am sure the kote would work fine. But I will second the Lacrosse glove suggestion. I use some STX K18's for SCA and they work fine.
K. Larson

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to steer my group further in the direction of steel trainers (we currently use poly trainers and padded leather gloves) and was interested to see if anyone thought that Kendo equipment might avoid some of the tradeoffs inherent in lacrosse gear, namely poor protection for joints, fingertips, and sides.

These seemed interesting:
http://www.e-bogu.com/Top_quality_Naginata_Be...beige-.htm

Gauntlets for naginata that have group the last three fingers in a mitten shell but leave the forefinger (and thumb, obviously) independent. VERY expensive though.
Sander Alsters

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: hand protection         Reply with quote

They definitly look awesome though! Although I tend to use my sepperate fingers for some partucular longsword techniques. Thats why I was looking for gloves used for Icehocky training. They look like they could handle some pounding and arent that expensive in comparison. I tried them once but without a sword at hand. They looked promissing though.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own and have used a pair of EGG gauntlets which I originally purchased when I was doing SCA heavy fighting many years ago.

They are protective, light but very bulky although I would guess less bulky then hockey gloves. Mine had an issue that if I wore them without lining/padding, the rivets would bark (take the skin off) my knuckles. I padding mine with a thin neoprene and sewed in a pair of cheap work gloves which that solved that issue.

m
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made a pair of really nice half gauntlets out of my old cracked Egg armour full gauntlets.
Stock they don't really fit anyones' hands perfectly and feel a bit bulky and will need some type of padding under them, but you can actually re-shape them into antyhing you want with a heat gun and a bucket of water. The Kydex plastic used in them is sensitive to cold weather though so be careful with wintertime outdoor heavy sparring. I can't really term them as easy to crack, but the middle lames are where they tend to break after a great number of hard rattan hits.

Another weak point is the thumb telscoping inward. If you get a really hard strike to the top of the thumb you can get a compression injury in your second thumb joint. Doesn't happen often but a friend of mine hurt his hand that way during SCA combat and it took him out of practicing for about a year of rehabilitation. You can change the fastening point to avoid this, but basically it's re-doing that part of the gauntlet. Might be a good idea since the base design gives you a cramp in the thumb muscle anyway and changing grips is not as easy as it could be as the thumb is hindered from full opening movement.

Gauntlet armoury is a science all to itself though. I've been experimenting a lot with various gauntlet types to make, making your own egg-type gauntlets in steel or aluminium sheet isn't all that hard for one thing, I've seen several and they tend to look a lot like japanese gauntlets. But make a properly hinged thumb. This would make for a very flexible gauntlet.

Of course, this is from SCA fighting experience, using something for HEMA would have different rule and practical requirements. Far better protection level than any foam only sports gloves though of course. Good to see some others thinking in terms of hand safety. Hands are both poweful and fragile, and most don't get how fragile until you break some bones in them, nor how crippling that is in everyday life until or if ever healed.
Yes, Kydex gloves, even thoughnot exactly perfect are much better protection than sport foam gloves with separate fingers. Pretty obvious really.

For some less bulky low weight gauntlets with full movement, check out the titanium finger gauntlets on this site:
http://www.performancearmour.com/Index.html

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kendo Kote or Egg Armor for Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic