Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Conan Secures Funding Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: King Conan Secures Funding         Reply with quote

King Conan: Crown of Iron Receives Financing
Source: IGN Filmforce October 11, 2004

IGN Filmforce reports that writer/director John Milius has received financing for King Conan: Crown of Iron.

Milius is currently in Turkey where he has secured full funding for King Conan. If that's the case, that would mean Warner Brothers would only have to distribute the film rather than finance it.

Milius is said to be scouting locations in Turkey for filming and that Arnold Schwarzenegger may still be involved with the project.

In my opinion (for what it is worth), I think that they are making a mistake by going forward with this. Looking at the success that LOTR had by keeping the scripts very close to the story in the books, I would think that a "new" series of Conan movies could be successful - beginning with a young Conan sacking Venarium and then moving on to a storyline made up from the first couple of books. Its been 20 years since the last Conan movie was made, ample time to start anew.

Just my two pence.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I've always thought that Arnie's true reason for becoming governor was as research for the role.

I'm very, very excited about this.

I don't think there are any actors out there who could possibly play Conan as well as Arnie. That effectively rules out starting them over from scratch. I would like to see stories more faithful to the books, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Here's hoping they bring the whole original team together for this one.

A nice fat script by Oliver Stone would make my day.
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Arnold should play this role. The parallel with real life is just too rich. In the future Arnold will have to be careful not to decapitate his political opponents. As I see it, this film will close out the first era of Conan movies, after which they can move on to a new actor and storylines close to the originals.

Brian M
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's going to suck so bad and be forgotten pretty quick. For it to have any originality they would have to stick so so close to the original stories as they possibly can but they are not going to do that. They are aiming real high with this but I have a gut feeling it's not going to deliver.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If Milius is directing, there's some hope. If he has funding, and WB isn't controlling the bux, then we might also get the R rating that this movie deserves.

A new series more closely in line with the books would be preferrable... but I'll take what I can get. Wink As long as it doesn't go the road of Kull the Conqueror, I think we'll be alright. If this flick is strong enough, we might get a new series involving Conan's son... who knows... but Milius would probably not sign on for those. He doesn't seem like the type to launch into a trilogy deal ala Peter Jackson.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I remember (of the comics, not books) they are going to have a real challenge sticking close and not getting a rating that eliminates key target audiences.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If they stuck to the books, It'd get a NC17.

Not that I'd mind that...
Petri Peltola

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Conan the barbarian is such a great movie - I had to get it on DVD asap when it got out. (yeah, it could've been more faithful to Howard) I hope Milius is going for something similar with the new movie.
I want:
-a STRONG soundtrack
-Not too much dialog, but still not only action and explosions (That means a good script with a strong story)
-A surfer, an american footballer and a couple of bodybuilders to play the keyroles Wink ( +Someone as great as James Earl
Jones.)

Last edited by Petri Peltola on Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Better to soften it to a CtB "R" than a CtD "PG" ... iiiick. Eek! Big Grin
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a review of the script that Milius had written for this movie on Aint It Cool News quite a while ago.
It sounded like it could be pretty good. I'm reasonably hopeful if Milius is in charge.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If Schwarzenegger is serious about being governor of California (and it seems he is), there is no way he can take time off to play Conan. A cameo role is about the most he could do.
William Stevens

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No movie could ever capture Howard's vision.It would take a fan,who knew what he was doing to even come close(Peter Jackson LOTR).I take the new's of another Conan movie with sadness.It will most likely be silly,Conan The Barbarian was a decent attempt at the Conan vision,but even it was not close to Robert E. Howard's wonderful Hyborian Age and I have always thought Arnold was never right for the Conan role.Howard's Conan was big,but he was also very panther like and quick.Arnold's Conan was to oafish and buffoon like.
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thinking ot actors suitable to play Conan I always thought the guy (Clancy Brown?) who played
Kurgan in Highlander could have done a decent job. Any other suggestions?
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, look at it this way, if it isn't Arnie in the role, Hollywood would likely cast "The Rock".

"Can you smell what tthe Barbarian is Cookin?"

*Shudders at the thought*
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Any other suggestions?

Adam Sandler.
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Quote:
Any other suggestions?

Adam Sandler.

Would you prefer him to interprate Conan as Opera Man? Or perhaps Cajun Man? Eek! Laughing Out Loud
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOL perish the thought, but Vin Diesel.

Man I can see that train wreck now....

" I live my life One Sword Fight at time....."

I think that Hollywood should keep with the methods that they seem to be doing with all of the comic book movies that have been coming out and look for a No Name Actor or some one with little previous exposure. Toby with Spider Man, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (man i was mad when i heard that and now i can't picture any one else playing that Role), Or even Thomas Jane (think i spelled that right) with the Punisher (like the movie or not, he did a good Job with the part.)

If they went that route I feel that it would allow some one to Re-create the role of Conan and make it their own. Not to mention we wouldn't have to see Random Popular New Action Hero destroy a classic character by being their stereotypical selves.

Just my two cents but I would love to see that happen. Then you could get your Big but still panther like character from the books. I also think that it would be great to have them play up the fact that Conan always fancied himself as more of a thief than an all out warrior, even if just the opposite was true.

Besides there is no way that Arnie could play the role again. He has Just slimmed down too much as he has aged to even come close to Being the Conan of old. He will most likely play the old king or some thing.

Wow maybe that should have been " just my 15 cents" instead of two. LOL

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Conan Secures Funding
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic