Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Are these anything (Roman/Migration era help here)? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Are these anything (Roman/Migration era help here)?         Reply with quote

I have a few swords. That's not important right now. What is important is that some of them are interesting, and deserve some sort of identification. Are they historically accurate, is what I'm asking about here. So, here goes:

1. The first sword is a CAS Iberia Spatha. from the early 90's. I am content to call it a "fantasy" spatha-esque sword, but I just want to see if it's more than that. Upon looking at the blade, I think it might be considered a Straubing-Nydam style. The hilt? Well, Most likely "fantasy". But still... never hurts to collect opinions....
2. The second sword is a Michael "Tinker' Pearce "Early Viking Sword". A nice sword, with wonderful handling qualities, as should be expected from Tinker. But what is it really? To me, it looks like a Behmer type 2 hilt without the metal-plated grip. That would put it in the 5th century AD, a bit early for a Viking sword (even I believe most were found in Denmark and some other Scandinavian lands, which, if you stretch it, might be considered "early Viking" -- way early)....

Anyway, thoughts? Opinions? Facts and research? Or am I just off?

Attachment: 54.98 KB
91806disc3 a1.jpg

Attachment: 37.28 KB
casispatha9181a a1.jpg

Attachment: 88.87 KB
TinkervikingBKEB-019 A1.jpg

Attachment: 37.43 KB
[ Download ]

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not able to answer your questions directly but I wanted to take the opportunity to say that you never cease to amaze me at the diversity and depth of your collection.

Nicely done.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are these anything (Roman/Migration era help here)?         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:

1. The first sword is a CAS Iberia Spatha. from the early 90's. I am content to call it a "fantasy" spatha-esque sword, but I just want to see if it's more than that. Upon looking at the blade, I think it might be considered a Straubing-Nydam style. The hilt? Well, Most likely "fantasy". But still... never hurts to collect opinions....

It's a Bhutanese spatha! Well, not quite, but that's what the hilt reminds me of. Search Google Images for "Bhutanese sword", and you'll see what I mean.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm not able to answer your questions directly but I wanted to take the opportunity to say that you never cease to amaze me at the diversity and depth of your collection.

Nicely done.

Cheers!

Thanks! It's a crazy accumulation. Every so often it needs a weeding, though....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these anything (Roman/Migration era help here)?         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
David Wilson wrote:

It's a Bhutanese spatha! Well, not quite, but that's what the hilt reminds me of. Search Google Images for "Bhutanese sword", and you'll see what I mean.

I see what you mean. I was thinking it had a Sudanese or Taureg flavor, myself....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are these anything (Roman/Migration era help here)?         Reply with quote

My thoughts:

Sword 1: The cross-section of the blade is rhomboid in shape. Migration age swords are virtually always lenticular, with or without fuller(s).
The hilt vaguely resembles the Nydam style (Behmer type II), but the Behmer type II swords don't have much of a pommel and are metal plated.

Sword 2: The blade is of more or less correct shape, but perhaps a bit narrow. The shape of the fuller is something I've not seen in migration age swords. The hilt looks like a Petersen type M (approx. 800-975 A.D.), but the guards seen to be a bit on the short side.

So I would place both swords more in the realm of fantasy than in the world of accurate reproductions of historical sword types.

Nevertheless, I have to say that I find both swords are quite attractive in their own right. The Tinker one must feel nice in hand as well...
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword 2 - I've seen sevaral similar "H-shape" hilted swords from that age, but none with the handshake knot decoration like that. Still, I wouldn't be much surprised to see one dug up either.

There's plenty of variation on width and length of blades from vendel and viking age, quite a few that don't even fit the standard classifications we use today for them. Most finds that are special in tha regard rarely see the light of day as most museums tend to show the big macho swords more than the "child" or perhaps "lady" sized ones.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! They've been interesting and informative.

Of course, any other responses are welcome too!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Are these anything (Roman/Migration era help here)?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic