Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > late 15th C VERY early 16th C italian swords and armour. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William P

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: late 15th C VERY early 16th C italian swords and armour.         Reply with quote

as well all know italy during the 15th and the dawn of the 16th centuries was a very interesting time. no thanks to leonardo da vinci and his contemperaries.

and most will agree that the most celebratory tribute to this timewould be the recent computer games assassins creed 2, brotherhood and theupcoming title revelations, featuring florentine man ezio auditore da firenze, which the game is said to havestartedwith him at age 20 at the 1470-80's assassins creed brotherhood begins around the first decadeof the 16th century

heres the thing.. i have , well not recently, i've known for roughly a year, but thisgame features many examples of swords daggers blunt weapons sch as hammers maces sabres/ falchions, now excluding the obvious fakes like the sword of altier (which is obviously a saracen sword of the crusader era) one weapon in this list has made me pause. theschiavona.

now unless im mistaken, the schiavona. along with alot of the complex hilted swords thought in poplar culture to be italian weaposn, but especially the schiavona are noted t be of later decades with most sourcessuggesting the schiavona being a 17th century item.
we also have other anomalies in the armour department, notably, theswiss guards having morions with faceplates and 'brutes' previously being clad in milanese armour, appear to, in brotherhood, bewearing a form of frogmouthed greathelm (isnt that a jousting helm)
in the realm of daggersits more realistic, primarily cinquedeas, andsimple knives as well as the obligatory stiletto
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/File:750px-weapons_set.jpg those are just for assassind creed 2
you might have to try alitle harderto get and see what all the weapons of brotherhood look like
so if most of those rapier like weapons are anachronistic. what would the REAL ezio auditore likely have wielded?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mean sword-wise? At the turn of the 16th century it wouldn't have been unrealistic to find any Oakeshott sword type from Type XV to Type XXII in his hand. My bigger beef would be with his outfit, since what kind of serious assassin would want to wear clothes that made him stick out like a sore thumb? If I were him I would have dressed according to the fashion of the day, perhaps as somebody a bit older (in the 30s or 40s) to give me more excuse to wear more voluminous clothing that would help me conceal my hidden weapons.
William P

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

im more looking at the hilt styles wha level of compleity ofhilts wouldexist at that time period. i know we havethe shell guard on german messers and a there are the guard constructions of the sidesword.

but if iunderstand id be mostly seeing simple crossguard hilts for the most part. in italy

what woud you say about the armour worn by his opponents i note that in creed 2 the brutes are rwearing what looks very similar to milanese style plate harneses which i recken is pretty realistic. the common guards have a sort of beretlike hat or a barbut/ open faced bacinet.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > late 15th C VERY early 16th C italian swords and armour.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic