Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom made War Sword and scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Custom made War Sword and scabbard         Reply with quote

This piece was built on a Gus Trim made double fullered blade. It was made per the customers request but with input from myself. The fittings were handmade except for the chape on the scabbard.
I think it turned out pretty nice.

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated.

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mmmm...I love double fullers. Do you have any stats?
Thanks,
Dan
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nope. The customer will have to post them. He is a regular here.

I have just begun my vacation and the sword is in transit to him.
I know I should have posted them before I left but The ocean was callin' my name Wink

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, you guys are cranking out some work today. it's nice to see the variety.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This scabbard looks great! I really like the color. Nice job!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work, per normal. Once again, I will be coming back to you really soon! Happy

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Mmmm...I love double fullers. Do you have any stats?
Thanks,
Dan

I'll post the stats later, once I get back home from the Middle East and cay put my hands on it. Laughing Out Loud

As for this commission, I wanted a double-fullered War Sword as a big brother to the Bill Grandy Albion Sovereign I had Sonny do up for me back in May.

Trying to find a double-fullered Type XIIa/XIIIa blade that I could customize was challenging, so when Sonny told me there was a Gus Trim blade that fit my needs laying around, I jumped on it. The package he did for me is a match for the above sword, but is intentionally different in coloration and appareance - so that they look like they may have came from the same armory, but were owned by different family members.

I opted for an integrated suspension on this one as well, because you just don't see it used frequently on longer swords when people have scabbards commissioned. I find this suspension comfortable and I am tall enough to where it's works for me. This package is has more of histoical basis than my Sovereign, yet the overall look it it borders on something from a fantasy film. The antiqued furniture and oxblood color scheme just always look great in my opinion.

I love the way it turned out! Everytime CSS makes something for me, it's my new favorite sword. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holy Herrings, that is a beautiful sword. Sarge, I can't wait to hear how it feels in hand. Not that I can't imagine, but... wow. I do dig your taste in fullers. Stay well over there and know that we're thinking of you (and not just because we envy that new toy).

Sonny, we've seen you turn Valiant from a sword vendor to an amazing enterprise of craftsmanship and creativity in a few short years. Well done, sir, and thank you for what you've brought to the marketplace. The Auld Dog seems to be experiencing something of a renaissance of late and I'm glad to see that, too.

Salut!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sonny Suttles wrote:
Nope. The customer will have to post them. He is a regular here.

I have just begun my vacation and the sword is in transit to him.
I know I should have posted them before I left but The ocean was callin' my name Wink

Looks to me like an AT 1435 blade ? By the way I think that Angus only made a small handful of these blades, so there aren't too many around. Wink

Stats for my AT 1435 are:

Total length: 49"
Blade length: 37 3/4"
Blade width at guard: 2 5/16"
Blade width at mid point: 1 7/8"
Blade thickness at guard: estimated at 1/4"
Blade thickness about 3" from the point: 1/8"
P.O.B. 6"

Some pics of mine scabbared by Christian Fletcher:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=30

I've since replaced the pommel with a disk pommel I had made by Tinker for another AT sword and it fit perfectly on the AT 1435, so I can swap out pommels.

Sonny: Very beautiful and well executed package of sword, sword furniture and scabbard. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
...I wanted a double-fullered War Sword as a big brother to the Bill Grandy Albion Sovereign I had Sonny do up for me back in May.

Nice! Are there any more pics of this Sovereign and scabbard (full length with scabbard)? The Sovereign has long been one of my favorite swords, and I love the look of it with that scabbard!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the photos my wife took of it. I am overseas, and she is not the best photographer in the world - but you'll get the idea:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23019

Happy

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a great looking sword Sonny, all kinds of aesthetic sexy going on there.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an attractive sword Sonny,

I like quite a bit about it, except for the etching. I don't believe swords of this era would have featured this type of decoration.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
This is an attractive sword Sonny,

I like quite a bit about it, except for the etching. I don't believe swords of this era would have featured this type of decoration.

The Jerusalem Cross etching was of my personal choosing. He did not specify it as a design element, I did.

It's there for personal reasons, not historical precedent. I am, however, interested in why you feel that a sword which could have been made as early as 1250 would be out of place with a Jerusalem Cross etching? The symbol has been in use continually for some time, at least since it was first commissioned as a banner by Pope Urban II. It was used though the end of the Ninth Crusade with the Fall of Acre in 1291 - in which case this sword could have existed. In fact, it's still used today.

I am not saying that you are incorrect. I am not understanding why this prolific symbol would have not been used historically when so many other forms of the Cross have been used throughout the centuries, though they do appear to have been in and out of fashion at points.

Thoughts?

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I am not saying that you are incorrect. I am not understanding why this prolific symbol would have not been used historically when so many other forms of the Cross have been used throughout the centuries, though they do appear to have been in and out of fashion at points.

Thoughts?

I'm not Jeremy, but I believe his point is that the method of decoration (etching) is not correct for the period, even if the image (cross) is. Engraving, almost exclusively with inlay of some other metal, was the method for the period.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm not Jeremy, but I believe his point is that the method of decoration (etching) is not correct for the period, even if the image (cross) is. Engraving, almost exclusively with inlay of some other metal, was the method for the period.

Ah, if that was the point, then I completely agree with both yourself and him in that its not the historical way to convey the Cross on the pommel. It was the less-expensive and less labor intensive way I chose to have it done which I can tweak later. My bad for misunderstanding. Happy

I like the way it looks now but when I return home, I was thinking filling the cross with enamel or gold leaf, which I think would improve the aesthetics from a historical standpoint. Additionally, I'll also cap the hex nut with a false peen (using a small rivet cap). I have done this to pretty good effect on my other ATrims. Gives a good illusion for a modern blade at any rate. Wink

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Mr. Sarge I was referring to the method, not the symbol, Happy

It's quite a cool sword!

I just personally don't care for etching. I need to find out when this method did begin to be used.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We know that etching was used in the late 1400s for decorating arms and armor in Italy, and it was adopted for making printing plates by the early 1500s in Germany. There are earlier examples of chemical etching which go back into classical antiquity on jewelry, cups, plates, decorative items, etc..., but no examples on arms or armor that I could find earlier than the late 15th C. given my very limited resources. So the technique was there for centuries, but when it was first used on arms and armor would be dificult to pin down with any accuracy I think.
J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom made War Sword and scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic