Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Durer or Talhoffer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Durer or Talhoffer         Reply with quote

I have been studying in the Liechtenauer tradition and feel as though I would like to have a sharp sword. I have had my eye on two in particular, the A&A Durer Bastard sword and the Albion Talhoffer, but without being able to handle either I'm at a loss as to which to buy. I would love to order both, but I have two kids, a wife who likes to travel and I have too many expensive hobbies. I have read both sword reviews on this website and both weapons sound like fantastic specimens.

I love the look of the Durer and it's some what lighter weight is intriguing although it's balance point is nearly an inch past the heavier Talhoffer. I am looking for a quick blade that comes alive in the hands and I'm curious which blade better responds, the heavier Talhoffer or the Durer with its extended point of balance?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Tod Glenn

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer a scent stopper type pommel for German longsword. The Talhoffer is on my short list for a sharp. Either would certainly be a fine choice. What blunt are you using?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both are wonderful swords, and I suspect you will be happy with either.

The blade geometry of the Durer will allow it to cut much better than the Talhoffer, but the Talhoffer would be a better sword for the harnisfechten actions between the two. Handling-wise, the Durer is a bit more "commanding" in terms of the cut due to the further forward blade presence. Personally, I like that. The Talhoffer will feel a bit more "lively" in some respects, but it also doesn't feel as powerful in cuts (nor should it, given it's design).

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently was making a similar decision. Since my objective in having a sharp was practice cutting as a component of longsword study, I went with the A&A Durer. While visiting A&A I handled a Durer and it felt extremely lively, so in my opinion I would not let that be a concern.

If you have not read Bill's review I would do so: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_dur.html
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Dürer, although I'm re-using its wonderful parts in different projects. It's excellent all together, too. Big Grin

Aesthetic considerations aside, consider the different construction. The Talhoffer is peened. The Dürer is solidly constructed but the pommel is secured by a nut. If you like to tinker/upgrade or want the ability to do so in the future, get the Dürer. You'll still have to break off the grip and un-wedge the cross but the pommel can be removed via the nut. That beats the heck out of filing away the Talhoffer's peen, then having to reduce the grip or blade length to re-peen. That pommel won't drop and expose the peen after you remove the grip, as with some Windlass swords. You won't be able to conserve any of the peen. The Dürer pommel is properly fit as well (the pommel does not compress the grip) but you lose no grip or blade length when modifying the piece.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Moses Jones

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feed back so far.

I'm using a Hanwei as a blunt right now but after holding an Albion Liechtenauer I can see, or feel, what I'm missing.

It sounds like the Durer is going to be a better cutter, but the Talhoffer would have an advantage up close in armour.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Durer or Talhoffer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic