Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Sutton Hoo blade by Vince Evans Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: New Sutton Hoo blade by Vince Evans         Reply with quote

Vince has just made a new blade for me. We went to see the original in the British Museum together and had a really good look at it - they were kind enough to take it out of the case for us. Vince had already discussed the blade with Janet Lang of the BM and carefully considered the x-rays. This is the result.

You may notice that it doesn't have a fuller -- well that's because there is no evidence that the original did either, in fact, quite the reverse.

The hilt will be made by Dave Roper.

All the pictures were taken by Vince.

Paul

Attachment: 59.98 KB
SH 1.54.jpg

Attachment: 59.28 KB
SH 1.55.jpg

Attachment: 61.99 KB
SH 1.56.jpg

Attachment: 64.6 KB
SH 1.57.jpg

Attachment: 72.67 KB
SH 1.58.jpg

Attachment: 60.61 KB
SH 1.59.jpg

Attachment: 59.42 KB
SH 1.60.jpg

Attachment: 73.81 KB
[ Download ]
Jerry Monaghan

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paul
That looks fantastic cant wait to see the end result on how the whole package will look like can you post some infro on stats
Once again congratulations on an fantastic sword and also your new book.
I hope to buy an autographed copy if you would be so kind to sign.

Regards

Jerry Monaghan
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's incredible, Mr. Evans was fairly bursting (well okay as close as he ever gets to bursting) at the seams to talk about this project at The Blade Show, but he was the soul of discretion and didn't. Now I can see why he was so interested! Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
William P

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

excuse me while i move my keyboard so i avoid drooling over it... those pattern weldings NEVER cease to amaze me.
the tip seems alittle blunt though. is that on purpose or hasnt it gotten through to sharpening yet?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's extraordinary. I can't wait to see the completed sword. Please don't forget to share with us.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
R Lister

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Limited understanding of the tips of migration period swords is that the tips were blunt, so when used from horse back they did not get caught up in the bodies of those that had been skewered.

My understanding is that these swords were biased on the roman cavalry swords, which were in turn biased on Germanic swords.

That sir is a very nice sword, and I am most jealous.

Rich
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW you lucky (explicitive deleted) Paul, can't wait to see it all hilted up. Is there a reason that Vince wont be doing the hilt, was it your choice, or did he not want to do it?
Éirinn go Brách
Josh Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That blade is gorgous.
Mark Routledge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing the finished article in the flesh ( no pun intended ) Paul. Very beautiful , puts my efforts to shame. It will be interesting to feel the balance without the fuller to.

Lovely Happy

www.wessexwildcraft.com
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And Vince outdoes himself yet again. What gorgeous patterning! You are one fortunate Saxon warlord!!!
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks for your kind comments -- Vince has done a fantastic job and I look forward to seeing it in my hand -- not long now, it is on it's way. Vince was very careful to use all the information that he could get on the original blade and to incorporate some ways of fabricating it that, possibly, haven't been used for a thousand years or more.

When the blade arrives, I will then pass it on to Mr Roper to complete the hilt. The reason why Dave is finishing it off, is because he is experienced at garnet cutting and making the reflective foils that will decorate the pommel.

When it is finished, it should be the most accurate reproduction of the Mound 1 Sutton Hoo sword yet made.

I will keep you informed of its progress.

Cheers,

Paul
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm no smith of any kind, but that's an amazing blade right there.
Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind comments. This was probably one of the most interesting projects that I have done – everything from the researching and examining of the original blade and radiograph to visiting the Sutton Hoo burial site with Paul to forging the blade. The craftsmen that made the original sword were very talented and we have much to learn from them.

The blade without a fuller will feel very different. It is broad with very little taper to the profile.

I also look forward to seeing the finished piece.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very attractive blade and I really like the very rounded radius from blade shoulders to tang from a design and structural strength point of view: I wish that many custom makers or production swords used such a transition when the design and style of sword permits.

Really love the pattern welding and also looking forward to seeing the finished sword. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow!! A Sutton Hoo sword forged by Vince Evans...that's Holy Grail material right there. Paul, you have all the best stuff Laughing Out Loud I'm really, really looking forward to seeing this completed.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blade looks fantastic, and I can't wait to see the sword when it is finished.
I do have a question, probably for Vince, as he forged the blade - what steel was used to create the welded-on edges? And what is the resulting characteristics of the sword after the heat-treatment? It is very intriguing to learn that this sword had no fuller - would be really fascinating to have the handling characteristics explained to us by Paul once he gets everything finished...
Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When Paul asked me if I would be willing to make a blade for him, our goal was not to replicate the metallurgy of the original, but the intent of the smith who forged it. We chose to use modern alloys that would show the pattern well and provide the strength and edge holding that should be expected of a sword. The steels that I used are 1095 (a high carbon steel) and A203 (a nickel bearing mild steel). The ratio for the core bars is 1:1. For the edge bar I used thicker 1095 layers and welded it to a total of 512 layers to achieve a fine grain pattern. The edge bar is harder than the core bar which has a much springier nature. This gives a very tough blade.
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Vince says we didn't attempt to use the same materials that were in the original, but that would be difficult anyway, as no serious analysis of the metallurgy of the blade has ever been carried out - at least not one that I am aware of.

Now that I have the blade in my hands, I must compliment Vince again on the sheer beauty and presence of the blade, it is a lovely piece and I must thank him for the thought, effort, talent and expertise that he put into this project. Vince really studied the original and all the documentation that we could find available and discussed the blade with Janet Lang at the British Museum.

Vince is an absolute gentleman to deal with, too. I am honoured that he agreed to make this blade for me!

Paul
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent blade! Can't wait to see how it turns out with the handle finished.

Is it at all possible we could get a photo of it together with a complete Sutto Ho kit? That would be just amazing see.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Sutton Hoo blade by Vince Evans         Reply with quote

Paul,
Is the hilt finished? We would like to see how the sword looks like after being hilted.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Sutton Hoo blade by Vince Evans
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: