Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Butt Cap for A&A Friedrich IV Spear / Longsword sword belt Q Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Butt Cap for A&A Friedrich IV Spear / Longsword sword be         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of questions I am hoping to get advice on,

I have an A&A Friedrich IV Spear that I enjoy greatly; however, this spear does not ship with a butt cap. Has anyone else fitted this spear with one, or have suggestions for one which might work well? I have looked at the Windlass ones, but I do not know their diameter. My goal is to protect the shaft from damage while resting it on the ground.

Also, I have a A&A Dürer Bastard Sword (and scabbard) on the way, and I am looking for a sword belt to use with it. I have been looking at the Swordbelt for Long Sword (XVth Century Swordbelt) made by The Inner Bailey. Does anyone have first hand impressions of this product or speculation as to its functionality or historical accuracy? (I would get it with brass rather than nickel.)

Any ideas or feed back is welcome Cool
Thank you much.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Butt Cap for A&A Friedrich IV Spear / Longsword swor         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Also, I have a A&A Dürer Bastard Sword (and scabbard) on the way, and I am looking for a sword belt to use with it. I have been looking at the Swordbelt for Long Sword (XVth Century Swordbelt) made by The Inner Bailey. Does anyone have first hand impressions of this product or speculation as to its functionality or historical accuracy? (I would get it with brass rather than nickel.)

There is no historical basis for that sword belt.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Butt Cap for A&A Friedrich IV Spear / Longsword swor         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
There is no historical basis for that sword belt.

Thanks Nathan. Do you have any vendor/model suggestions?

I thought maybe I was on to something since this product was very reasonably priced and seems to resemble the sword belt in Durer's Knight, Death and the Devil. The only difference I can see is the lowest strap Y's out into two strap's on the belt made by the Inner Bailey and does not in Durer's engraving. That being said the front attachment area is somewhat obscured in Knight, Death and the Devil.

I'm sure this is a very commonly needed product- Feel free to let me know what you guys are using. Thanks!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kult Of Athena lists some dimensions for butt caps. They do vary and usually have some taper. I cheated on my hAnwei spontoon and just bought a tapered bo staff.
http://www.kultofathena.com/spears.asp

Alternately and if you are handy with a file, you could work a plumbing pipe fitting end cap (they come in several diameters)

I was looking at that spear seriously this summer but came to a dead end on my budget. Especially for modern stuff but that spear is one I want.. Another alternative is simply a cord/leather lace/sinew to keep the end from splitting.

There have got to be some other images you can work from and ask someone doing leather work. Even call A&A for their suggestion for their sword?

Cheers

GC
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Kult Of Athena lists some dimensions for butt caps. They do vary and usually have some taper...

Thanks for pointing this out, the other sites I had looked at these same products on did not have the socket dimensions listed.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Arndt wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Kult Of Athena lists some dimensions for butt caps. They do vary and usually have some taper...

Thanks for pointing this out, the other sites I had looked at these same products on did not have the socket dimensions listed.

I've bought and used the Windlass butt caps without any problems but one does have to file down the butt to taper it to the inside diameter of the butt caps.

This one: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...r+Butt+Cap

A just bought a few that I haven't fitted to anything yet so it's easier to take a direct measurement of the inside and outside diameters of the socket at it's mouth.

I.D. : 1 3/32 "
O.D. : 1 3/16 "

Wall thickness: Approximately a hair under 1 /16 "

Weight: 9 oz. on my food scale.

Strong and stout construction carbon steel, the end is very solid and not hollow to the end ( not stainless )

Outside total length: 5 3/4 "
Inside length for socket: 3 3/8 "

Oh, I have use copper plumbing end caps: They will protect the end of your haft and not change the weight or balance of the spear. The Windlass butt caps will bring the COG back towards the butt by a few inches, and balance the spear head for a more centre neutral feel, they also give you a very strong butt end to hit with. Wink

Hope this helps. Big Grin Cool

I use these for spear butts but also for the ends of walking stick I make for myself and I really like them best.

This one also worked well as I used the buttcap for a spear and kept the lance head for a future project:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Lance+Head

The Greek Spear buttcap is very very heavy and the pointy bit is solid steel but not the right historical period style I think for your spear:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ar+Buttcap

The rounded buttcap I don't like as much as the first type but it't about the same in weight and dimensions:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...r+Butt+Cap

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for all the info Jean. That helps a lot. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Butt Cap for A&A Friedrich IV Spear / Longsword sword belt Q
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic