Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some Erik Stevenson Goodness Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Some Erik Stevenson Goodness         Reply with quote

I just got these pics from Erik Stevenson on my new clamshell claymore. Since Erik is getting out of the business (or at least not taking custom orders anymore) this is probably the only sword of his I will have the privilege to own.

Here goes: I got the Idea from an Historical example in the Archives here.

Attachment: 31.26 KB
CC3.jpg

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Another one         Reply with quote

I don't know why it didn't post all 3 pics.

Attachment: 24.5 KB
CC1.jpg

David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: and again         Reply with quote

WTF?!

Attachment: 43.75 KB
CC2.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which blade is that, David?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David

Very nice ..... Erik did a wonderful job on this ! ( that hilt is inspired by the clamshell at the Livrustkammaren,Stockholm , right ?)

Please let us know the stats when you can ! Congratulations on a fine fine sword! Great job, Erik, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sigh ----- (had my chance to order from him once and changed my mind)
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bit of history on the original .....

*Photo & text: 13th Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue (1996) , article by Tony Willis "Scottish 'twa handit Swerdis"

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now THAT is nice!

That's the nicest reproduction of a Clamshell Claymore (a highly under-reproduced type of sword, IMHO) yet!

And it will be even nicer when in hand. I know, I've got two Erik Stevensons myself... Laughing Out Loud

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Thats the one         Reply with quote

Yup Mac, that is the sword I had Erik base this one on. The blade is the AT 1319 and is 37.25" with an 11" hilt. (don't know if Erik changed the hilt length.) Erik emailed me the finished weight is 4.34 lbs. so it should be pretty beefy without being too heavy. Somehow Erik shaved off .75 lbs when he refinished the blade. That was as much as he felt comfortable doing. basically, I emailed the pic to Erik and had him run with it. Based on the finished pics, I am glad I did.

I went with the 1319 as it was the biggest Atrim blade in production waaaay back when I ordered this sword. I also love fullers even though it doesn't appear the original had one.

After seeing Nathan's E/S swords, I have been chomping at the bit to get this. btw Nathan if you ever just want to "Thin out" you Erik Stevenson Shiavona, I'll take it off your hands

Laughing Out Loud

I'll post my impressions when I receive this sword. Despite the wait, Erik has truly been a pleasure to deal with.

Cheers
Dave Lannon

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of clamshell hilts but that sure is a beauty Eek!

Congradulations!

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey! I think I've handled the original! Eek!
My sword site
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a sweet lookin' sword David. Congrats!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a great looking sword Eek! That handle would have been a nightmare for me even to think about wrapping....Gus's blades sure do clean up nice...congrats on the beauty!
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing- pity he isnt able (or want to) do more work. He's an amazing artist.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just don't understand why Erik is getting out of the business. He has such amazing talent. Judging by the waiting list he has he doesn't lack for customers. Is cabinet making really that much fun? Sigh...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Cabinets!!!!         Reply with quote

I didn't know Erik makes cabinets......Now I DO need to remodel my kitchen, now I just have to figure how to incorporate turks head knots into the overall design. Big Grin

Cheers
Dave Lannon

Erik Stevenson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all!

As always I am glad that people are happy with my work. I haven't had a big presence on the boards for a while and Russ' post made me feel the urge to clarify the state of things a bit. I guess the reality of things is I don't' have much of a choice about getting out of the sword business as a full time gig. I injured my shoulder whilst running around in the Marines and had surgery on it resulting in some troublesome internal scar tissue. The repetitive movement from daily filing etc. has lead to chronic pain due to the scar tissue in and around my shoulder joint. There are some other elements that contributed to my decision as well that have to do with the nuances of catering to the demand of the market and production efficiency but I would say that even if I solved the other problems I can't keep up a full time production pace with my bum shoulder. As for cabinate making ;-) I was thinking about trying my hand at designer furnature for a while but after exploring that a bit and discovering the same physical limitations I think I will be flying a desk once I finish my degree and doing swords/creative work as a hobby. I love doing the work but I can't keep up a pace that will make it feasable as a career unless I move to India or somewhere where the cost of living is really low.

At any rate I don't intend to dissappear all together, I would love to do some prototyping for a production setup and have been tossing about the idea of writing or co-authoring a "How To" sword hilt making book but at this point I have a full plate with trying to fill the orders in my back log, help plan my wedding and finish my degree/get a "real" job, so can't commit fully to sword related stuff more than I currently am.

Take care, thanks again for all the support!
Erik
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Hey! I think I've handled the original! Eek!

is their any original in sweden you havnt handled? Laughing Out Loud

That is a very nice sword, I love the wire wrap work, simply stunning!!!

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Erik Stevenson wrote:
Hi all!

As always I am glad that people are happy with my work. I haven't had a big presence on the boards for a while and Russ' post made me feel the urge to clarify the state of things a bit. I guess the reality of things is I don't' have much of a choice about getting out of the sword business as a full time gig. I injured my shoulder whilst running around in the Marines and had surgery on it resulting in some troublesome internal scar tissue. The repetitive movement from daily filing etc. has lead to chronic pain due to the scar tissue in and around my shoulder joint. There are some other elements that contributed to my decision as well that have to do with the nuances of catering to the demand of the market and production efficiency but I would say that even if I solved the other problems I can't keep up a full time production pace with my bum shoulder. As for cabinate making ;-) I was thinking about trying my hand at designer furnature for a while but after exploring that a bit and discovering the same physical limitations I think I will be flying a desk once I finish my degree and doing swords/creative work as a hobby. I love doing the work but I can't keep up a pace that will make it feasable as a career unless I move to India or somewhere where the cost of living is really low.

At any rate I don't intend to dissappear all together, I would love to do some prototyping for a production setup and have been tossing about the idea of writing or co-authoring a "How To" sword hilt making book but at this point I have a full plate with trying to fill the orders in my back log, help plan my wedding and finish my degree/get a "real" job, so can't commit fully to sword related stuff more than I currently am.

Erik

Thank you, Erik. It's too bad that we're losing such a great talent (at least on a fulltime basis), but you gotta do what's right for you. Anyway, I'm honored to have two of your works in my collection. Best of luck in your future endeavors, whatever they may be!

Waitaminute -- did you say "wedding"? Congratulations!!!!!!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Erik Stevenson wrote:
Hi all!

Erik

Drat! I hate it when I'm so far out there that someone has to clarify what I posted. Happy Mostly I was just whining and complaining about not having the opportunity to buy more of your stuff. As was noted earlier you have to do what is right for you. I hope that I did not give offense.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some Erik Stevenson Goodness
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: