Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nydam and Illerup spearhead Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Nydam and Illerup spearhead         Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I am looking for specific fotos and information from javelin heads that have been found at Nydam and Illerup.

'The cruels and threachery of civilization, that is barbaric!', said the free Frisian to his son..
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you looking for these kind of javelin heads?
There are several different types of javelin heads in Nydam and Illerup, as there are several different offerings in each bog.
Again, I would have to look into the books in the library. I guess I can post some nice line drawings of different types next week.

Have you already read this thread about lanceheads?
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23277

Attachment: 183 KB
SL270389.jpg
assorted javelin heads from nydam and thorsbjerg
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow- the tip on the far left is beautifully persevered!

When I read javelin, I automaticly think Roman pilum. I am aware of some Norse use as well. Were javlins used in the high or late middle ages? I would have thought javlins would have been useful from horse back against later infantry such as pikemen who lacked shields.

I didn't find much searching and I don't recall any mention in Oakeshott's Archeology of Weapons.
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todeman, than k you very much. That´s just what I was looking for. Very nice picture. I am very curious about the line drawings. Do you also have measurements of the points?

The thread about the javelin heads is also very nice. But the javelin heads are just before the timeframe that we have (300-600). Maybe you have a source about lanceheads from the migration era?

Thanks!

'The cruels and threachery of civilization, that is barbaric!', said the free Frisian to his son..
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This book (http://www.amazon.com/Illerup-Adal-Jutland-Ar...amp;sr=8-3) is the one you'll be looking for concerning all lances and spears (javelins) found at Illerup Ådal.
There is also Danish version, alas no English one.

And there is also the so called "curry volumes" (in reference to its color) "Der Opferplatz von Nydam" by Güde and Jan Bemman, which contains most of the Nydam weapons. Alas again no English version that I know of.

Despite the language barrier the books should still be useful to you, since they contain tons of pictures (Photos in the Illerup volume, detailed drawings in the Nydam ones).

There is one English volume about Illerup Ådal in English, but it is more a broad overview, I doubt that you will find what you are looking for to that extent that you would be satisfied.
http://www.amazon.de/Illerup-Adal-Archaeology...8787334372

@T. Arndt
If you think those are well preserved you should see the ones from Illerup. Many are just a bit grey, but you could still mount them on a piece of wood and charge into battle. Wink

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nydam and Illerup spearhead
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic