Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Money Saving Tips Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Money Saving Tips         Reply with quote

With todays economy, package sizes getting smaller all the time and prices going up on everything, spiraling out os control, I thought it a good idea where we could share our ideas, innovations and discoveries together in order to mutually help one another in what can be an expensive hobby and to even help those who have none or little financial limitations, in the name of the principle of fairness.
Ever notice a dispenser bottle of body lotion or some household cleaner that when the product gets to the bottom of the bottle but the stem is not long enough to reach that las ounce or half ounce? Well, I discovered the same problem on the last several spray cans of WD40, plenty of product left but it won't spray anymore, just my opinion but I think the product container is now designed to do this, requiring the consumer to buy a new can. Well, there is a way around this, just punch a hole in the side of the can towards the top and you will gain access to lot's more oil and since the creation of the problem is the lack of enough pressurization at the time of packaging, I have not experienced any remote danger to puncturing the can.
Another one is to cut up and clean worn sanding belts.
My hope is that this new topic will result in a multitude of money saving ideas for everyone, from the collector to the Industry Professionals!

Wishing Us All Success!
Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Craig L.

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A quick hint for avoiding excessive brokerage fees (US->Canada): have the seller ship USPS... UPS and FedEx can charge *ridiculous* brokerage fees.
Roderick Stacey

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be an Australian ? Big Grin
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
A quick hint for avoiding excessive brokerage fees (US->Canada): have the seller ship USPS... UPS and FedEx can charge *ridiculous* brokerage fees.

I second what Craig says.

mackenzie
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: $60         Reply with quote

Thirded. Theres nothing more annoying than having to pay an addition $60 to $75 just to pick up your sword from the company who was merely shipping it to you. I don't care if my sword takes slightly longer to arrive; I would rather have it shipped USPS.
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The worst I had was shipping a sword to Newfoundland, Canada.

Shipper 1 from manufacturer in the USA to USA side of the border.
Shipper 2 across the border.
Shipper 3 from Canadian side of border to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Shipper 4 from Halifax to St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Each shipper added a brokerage fee when they passed the parcel off. The kicker was that I had no idea this was happening so I got a really big surprise when I tried to pick-up my sword.

Now if someone won't use USPS I won't buy from them. I just don't know how much shipping will really come to if it isn't USPS.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe there is also suppose to be a tariff applied to swords shipped into Canada from US.

If you live close enough to the border, ship it to a US address and pick it up yourself.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
I believe there is also suppose to be a tariff applied to swords shipped into Canada from US.

If you live close enough to the border, ship it to a US address and pick it up yourself.

Well with Free Trade there are no Custom Duties anymore, but there are both Federal and Provincial sales taxes when a package is inspected. Not all packages get stopped and taxed due to high volumes so it's just luck involved if a package gets taxed or not. ( It's a coin toss as around 50% of my packages just sailed through untaxed ).

The brokerage fees are applied by the private shipping companies as their charges for doing the customs clearance.

USPS/Canada posts brokerage fees are quite small and reasonable.

But duties or taxes it sort of doesn't make too much difference to one's pocket book which they are.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These country to country added on surcharges sound like highway robbery! Obviously this expression sounds like a carry over the ages from medieval times and the "Highway men". I know domestically speaking that as far as vendors go, there is no vendor as fair as Kult Of Athena, and his showroom is so outstanding that it would knock your shoes off! By the way, he and his wife drive one car and it is quite average. I can't tell you how many times I have been there and I could tell that Ryan looked completely exhausted! As Ryan told me some years ago he is not out to make the big fast buck. His goal is to make an honest living from a high number of orders while providing an iNventory to meet everyone's needs, from the economical to the high end Hanwei's, Albion and Arms and armor. Despite the fact that his profit from the latter two is very small indeed! He and his wife are two of the most selfLESS people I have ever met!
Another money saving tip is if one has the means and ability, to buy. Swords by Windlass and others in that price range from KOA and do some serious grinding to reduce the stiffness and gain a lively sword that will also after grinding have a much improved balance point!
Yet one more tip, clean your sandpaper and sanding belts with a "resin stick"m

I hope this helps, I don't mean to be an advertisement for KOA but they. Are. So Fair!!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Mackenzie Cosens wrote:

Well with Free Trade there are no Custom Duties anymore, but there are both Federal and Provincial sales taxes when a package is inspected. Not all packages get stopped and taxed due to high volumes so it's just luck involved if a package gets taxed or not. ( It's a coin toss as around 50% of my packages just sailed through untaxed ).

The brokerage fees are applied by the private shipping companies as their charges for doing the customs clearance.

USPS/Canada posts brokerage fees are quite small and reasonable.

But duties or taxes it sort of doesn't make too much difference to one's pocket book which they are.

Hi
I use to think that free trade meant no tariff or duty on items manufactured in the US or Mexico when imported in to Canada, but a friend of mine who deals with NAFTA stuff for a living tells me that its not quite that simple. It turns out that there is 7% tariff applied to weapons imported to Canada unless it is accompanied by proper NAFTA certificate. So if the manufacture does not provide the certificate you could end up paying an additional 7%. Ain't bureaucracy fun.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:

Hi
I use to think that free trade meant no tariff or duty on items manufactured in the US or Mexico when imported in to Canada, but a friend of mine who deals with NAFTA stuff for a living tells me that its not quite that simple. It turns out that there is 7% tariff applied to weapons imported to Canada unless it is accompanied by proper NAFTA certificate. So if the manufacture does not provide the certificate you could end up paying an additional 7%. Ain't bureaucracy fun.

May apply to firearms or military equipment more than to swords or other period weapons, originals or reproductions ?
( Importing shoulder fired rockets or tanks for resale to a third country i.e. international legal arms trades, or sporting firearms ).

If the 7% tariff was applied to one of your swords you should see this itemized on the " taxes/duty " charges when you pay them: The only charges I have seen are the federal and Provincial taxes + brokerage fees.

But maybe we should get back to other saving tips before we derail this topic too much.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Money Saving Tips
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic