Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Full Metal Jousting... What? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Full Metal Jousting... What?         Reply with quote

Is anyone else aware of this?
I was dubious the moment I saw the helmet in the ad's title graphic.
Then again, $100,000 is alot of money to win.
It might just be crazy enough to work Laughing Out Loud

This however does bring to mind some important points: if one offers a cash prize of great size, does that mean that various jousters will rise, and lo' behold our eyes, one ends up with a grand tournament?
And is it in fact quite accurate to offer prizes at events (as they often did) as an insentive to participate?
Would you participate in such a thing if able and with a chance?

I tell you what, I'd play the part of the human quintain for $100,000!

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
John Turner

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,

Tried to check the link, but it does not seem to be working - coming up with website not found.. Do you have a URL?

For a hundred grand I would fight you for the right to be the human quintain!

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

Edmund Burke

"If History is so important, why is it so easy to forget?"
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/jousting/

That would be the show in question.
Though, judging from the other shows done by this studio, I would not be surprised to see a show about dragonhunting. Who wants to be the next St. George or something like that.
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received the audition notice and I am happy to share:

CASTING HORSEMEN and WARRIORS
WIN $100,000 ON "FULL METAL JOUSTING" FOR HISTORY CHANNEL!

HISTORY CHANNEL and the producers of Top Shot and The Ultimate Fighter are searching NATIONWIDE for Americaʼs toughest and bravest horsemen for their new competition series Full Metal Jousting.

Yes, we said JOUSTING. If you are a skilled horseback rider and have the heart of a warrior, then you might have what it takes to become Americaʼs first Full Metal Jouster and win the $100,000 grand prize!

This hard-hitting competition will recreate the raw, crushing force of Medieval jousting battles by arming 16 fierce competitors with lances, armor and a 2,000-pound war horse -- all charging through an arena with one goal in mind... to become champion!

You do NOT need to be an experienced jouster, but you MUST be a skilled horseback rider, and you DO need strength, determination and the desire to win.

We teach you how to joust. You crush the competition.

* Candidates must be at least 21 years of age, proficient in horseback riding, and a resident or citizen of the United States of America.

TO SUBMIT:
Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com for priority consideration, and email ALL the information requested below to:
FullMetalJousting@gmail.com
Be sure to include:
1. Your name (first and last)
2. Contact phone number
3. City/State where you live
4. Recent photo (jpg format please)
5. A brief description of why you think you can be Historyʼs first Full-Metal Jouster
6. Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com for priority consideration!

Deadline to apply is JULY 20th, 2011

Ut ferreus caput capitis quod stabilis terminatio
John Turner

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would think about it, were I to be eligible - unfortunately I am a Brit, and currently stationed in Germany, therefore I would be excluded. Imagine the harness that $100,000 would buy!

If they are looking for "real" medieval warriors to take part then the list of offences (barring the one about firearms) would exclude most if not all of the serious competitors from the days when the tournament was the real hard man's sport! Most of these would have been normal conduct for someone like Sir William Marshall;

•Assault
•Battery
•Stalking
•Making terrorist threats
•Willful violation of a domestic violence protective order
•Brandishing a deadly weapon
•Willfully discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent manner
•Any unlawful use, possession or handling of a weapon
•Threatening a Public Officer or Employee with violence
•Intimidating a Witness
•Animal cruelty, neglect or abandonment
•Improper or inhumane animal housing/breeding
•Improper or inhumane animal transportation
•Unlawful trade/trafficking in any animal species
•Participation in animal bloodsport (including as a spectator)

Not sure where they will get the "War Horses" from. The war horses of the medieval period (Destriers) have not been bred for some time.

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

Edmund Burke

"If History is so important, why is it so easy to forget?"
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure where they will get the "War Horses" from. The war horses of the medieval period (Destriers) have not been bred for some time.

Clydesdales came to mind immediately and it looks like some are already at work emulating a medieval destrier

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/destrier.htm

There are other draft breeds that can also be bred to be a bit more nimble.

In all contemporary correctness, a production as is now outlined will no doubt be as anachronistic as the other productions mentioned. Top Shot, Ultimate Fighter and any host of other such productions have had not even entertainment value for me. Even the less contentious and more well regarded and proposed History Channel productions leave a lot to be desired as to accuracy and scope of what can be offered in either a series format of hourlies or even a full blown four hour "exploration". I am inevitably one that will kind of shake my head in mock dismay at exclusions and errors but commercial TV will inevitably be a last resort for serious study.

As to those headed for audition, I do applaud that and as with other such productions will see some of it but not be a regular watcher.

Cheers

GC
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Clydesdales came to mind immediately and it looks like some are already at work emulating a medieval destrier

Yeah that was my idea as well. But I was figuring if this was a history channel show they would just call Clydesdales "War Horses" and be done with it. Skipping over the tedious actual explinations which, of course, no one is interested in WTF?! Surprised

Ahh if I was a couple years younger, and single I would so sign up for this. Not sure the wife would be thrilled with me doing thing.
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That really sucks... I'm going overseas for that time. I would've done that. Maybe they would've picked me since I run a historical swordsmanship school.... Mad Mad Mad Cry

Just saw the need to be a skilled rider... couldn't do it anyway.
Craig Wrenn

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone else think that the only thing this will have in common with true medieval jousting is the title.
A bit like most of the joust groups out there today, only a handful of people are jousting anything like the original sports which we now know as jousting.

Craig
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds interesting. I might give it a go.
Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Walker wrote:

But you'd have to change citizenship and we need you down here! Laughing Out Loud

I've also read that they may supposedly despose of an actual harness, and replace it with "... The best modern gear..."
What?

William Frisbee

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What the hell. I'll apply...
Ned Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Full Metal Jousting         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop in here, I am a casting producer on Full Metal Jousting and it's for real! It's going to be as brutal as it was in the 13th century! So if you have any questions or want to apply you can email us at FullMetalJousting@gmail.com or you can print out our application off of http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/jousting/

Thank you and if you have any questions you can reach me at 818-478-4667

Ned

Currently casting new hard-hitting competitive jousting series for History called Full Metal Jousting. It will be as real and as dangerous as it was in the 13th Century! Deadline is July 20th. Apply now http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/jousting/
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope its not as serious as the 13th, they often had sharp spear points at the tips of their lances, and impaled participants might reduce the time number of possible episodes. Laughing Out Loud

Also, please be aware that Clydesdale sized horses were NOT medieval warhorses, nor are medieval warhorses descended from them.

Probably a waste of time but still felt like dropping 2 cents.

E Pluribus Unum
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Walker wrote:

Yeah, that's a good idea. Laughing Out Loud

Hey, anyone that wants to get a jump on the competition, I do give private jousting lessons Wink

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Metal Jousting         Reply with quote

Ned Johnson wrote:
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop in here, I am a casting producer on Full Metal Jousting and it's for real! It's going to be as brutal as it was in the 13th century! So if you have any questions or want to apply you can email us at FullMetalJousting@gmail.com or you can print out our application off of http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/jousting/

Thank you and if you have any questions you can reach me at 818-478-4667

Ned

Hi Ned,

Just wanted to wish you luck on this (yes, even the big blond one that hates me at the moment). I know the jousting folks involved and you have a tremendous group of coaches. The jousting pros that you have coaching are all Wold Champions and International Competitors - there are few that are more qualified than they are.

I have been working with most of them since 1998 trying to get our sport some modicum of media attention and hopefully, this will bring it more out of the closet. I would think tha response to your casting call will be tremendous.

As for Clydes - I've jousted on pretty much every type of horse from a Quarterhorse up to a Clyde (I even trained a Trakhaener a few years back) - I love riding the big ones - draft crosses are probably the best. Big, strong and willing these horses bust their asses to try and please - that can't always be said for the hotter blood breeds. Also, if you want impressive hits, the added mass more than makes up for the slightly slower speed. I know that these size horses did not exist in the 13th century, but if they had, the knights sure as hell would have been jousting on them.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think all those able should apply! Laughing Out Loud
"13th Century Jousting! It's like MMA on horse back!"
"Except fewer d**kheads!" (disclaimer: not that MMA or anything has anymore or any less than anything else).
Though I tell you what, if it really was like a 13thC. tournament, i'd love to see it. So few jousters or melee, single combats, or pas-de-armes competetors use a 13thC. kit, much to my woe.
Jousting with single combats on the side.
Then again, plate does look spiffy and I'm sure makes one feel a little bit safer.
Sadly I guess we here in Aus will never get to see the results of this, nor the show itself.
Oh, and good luck to Ned too!

Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Full Metal Jousting         Reply with quote

Ned Johnson wrote:
it's for real! It's going to be as brutal as it was in the 13th century!

Er... how brutal do you think 13th century jousting was?

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Metal Jousting         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Ned Johnson wrote:
it's for real! It's going to be as brutal as it was in the 13th century!

Er... how brutal do you think 13th century jousting was?

As brutal as a " friendly " joust in period might just mean no more than a couple of deaths and lots of broken bones.

A not so friendly period fight/joust would mean actually trying to kill your opponent or at least not really concerned about how much damage was done, and if still alive but barely, going for a nice ransom ! Actual real combat and not so much a sport.

I don't think the risks should be much greater than what one risks in boxing, football or any serious contact sport ! Rules of engagement and safety equipment would have to be good enough to keep things " sane " and legal: Lots of falling or being knocked off the horses but no lances points out of peoples' backs or heads decapitated by sword/axe or bashed in by mace ! Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd watch this show!

Well, i sure hope no deaths though and that the producers understand how to avoid that while still making a series that's cool and action packed. Having seen both seasons of Top shot, which was excellent and had some unexpected turns, I can guess how this series will be planned and executed. Looking forward to it.

Is there foot combat involved also?

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Full Metal Jousting... What?
Page 1 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: