Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Crecy Scabbard Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Albion Crecy Scabbard Question         Reply with quote

In anticipation of my Albion Crecy’s (standard dark brown grip) arrival, hopefully in the next few weeks, I have started to look into a scabbard and have booked my spot in the queue with DBK. I just need to finalize exactly how I want it before its time to order.

I really just need to decide if I go for single or double belt suspension as per the following;

Double;
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/images/blog/JL...zA1152.jpg

Single;
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/images/blog/JO...nA1152.jpg

So what are your thoughts of single Vs double belts on a scabbard?

The other personal decision I need to finalize is if I go for the coloring as above or if I go for the dark coloring as follows;
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/images/blog/SG...GB1152.jpg

Cheers

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say go double on the belt. The more support the better.

Also, if I'm not mistaking, Albion hand mixes their dyes, so the dark brown grip you see on one example might not be the same dark brown grip you see on your own Crecy. Still, I say go for the darker scabbard. Just a personal preference. Ultimately you'll have to leave it up to your own preference.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
I say go double on the belt. The more support the better.

Also, if I'm not mistaking, Albion hand mixes their dyes, so the dark brown grip you see on one example might not be the same dark brown grip you see on your own Crecy. Still, I say go for the darker scabbard. Just a personal preference. Ultimately you'll have to leave it up to your own preference.

Cheers thanks Eric, i was leaning towards the double belt, and now at the suggestion of someone else im also going to have a bit of a look into the 2 point suspension type similar to the scabbard albion sells with the brescia spadona.

Yea i think your right re the dyes on the grip, but im going the swordless order option with Brian and just have to hope its pretty close Wink

Thanks Again

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

Eric G.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love it if someone could refer me to some source that designates the historically accurate scabbard and suspension designs. =) Anyone?

Also, Paul, I found this today and thought you might like it. I really like the coloring and think it might go with your Crecy.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17281

Cheers

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
I would love it if someone could refer me to some source that designates the historically accurate scabbard and suspension designs. =) Anyone?

There are a plethora of threads on scabbards and suspensions around here; a ton. Happy

To find out what's accurate, though, I'd spend (and have) time looking at monumental brasses and effigies and other period artwork from the era and locale you're looking for. That's the best way to get ideas.

I've learned not to rely just on what scabbard makers come up with as they're making the item to someone else's order and that someone may not have done the necessary research. Happy There are far too many interwoven belts and triangular flaps like you see in the 13th century on 15th century repros and far too many 15th century suspensions on earlier swords.

That Sempach scabbard looks nice but the suspension is very much 15th century and this style of sword (Sempach family swords, not Type XVIIs in general) seems to have died out by 1400.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Eric G.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

To find out what's accurate, though, I'd spend (and have) time looking at monumental brasses and effigies and other period artwork from the era and locale you're looking for. That's the best way to get ideas.

Thanks Chad.

I have seen some suspensions here and there on this site, but then again, I don't always know that everyone here always picks the suspension and scabbard that is correct for their sword's period either =)

Would you recommend any particular sites for these images? I recently found mention of one site on an old thread (perhaps it was you that had mentioned it?) called gothiceye.com.

Lutel has some good images of the suspension systems they offer on their website, but I don't know what would be most accurate for what suspension.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have to say thanks again, seems every time I post or start a thread here it becomes a learning / research experience. To be honest I hadn’t considered the historical accuracy side of things and was more looking at the look and functionality aspects.

Cheers

Paul

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
Would you recommend any particular sites for these images? I recently found mention of one site on an old thread (perhaps it was you that had mentioned it?) called gothiceye.com.

Gothic Eye is a good one. This one is even better: http://effigiesandbrasses.com/ . Or the History page on the Medieval Combat Society website (click here).

Or myArmoury's Feature article on Monumental Brasses, which is more a survey of the form than an in-depth look at a bunch of them.

Lutel's suspensions aren't terribly accurate in a lot of cases. They look nice, but some are approximations at best.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Eric G.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Have to say thanks again, seems every time I post or start a thread here it becomes a learning / research experience. To be honest I hadn’t considered the historical accuracy side of things and was more looking at the look and functionality aspects.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I've only been around this place for a few months, but I quickly found out that historical accuracy is a pretty big priority around here. It is something that I didn't really think of a lot at first either (much like you) but now I do think of it all the time. Personally I find that there is a certain satisfaction to knowing that a piece in your collection has a high level of authenticity.

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gothic Eye is a good one. This one is even better: http://effigiesandbrasses.com/ . Or the History page on the Medieval Combat Society website (click here).

Or myArmoury's Feature article on Monumental Brasses, which is more a survey of the form than an in-depth look at a bunch of them.

Lutel's suspensions aren't terribly accurate in a lot of cases. They look nice, but some are approximations at best.

Thanks Chad. I appreciate you taking time to share these sources. I now know what I'll be doing for the next several hours!

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Crecy Scabbard Question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic