Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scratches on blades from scabbards Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Scratches on blades from scabbards         Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Has anyone ever had an issue with this? I have a thin two inch scratch on the lower portion of a sword that seems to be coming from my scabbard. Perhaps this is due to me inserting the blade into the scabbard throat and it rubbing into the edge as it goes down- not sure.

THanks for any thoughts
Ryan A. Currier

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does the scratch appear near the center of the blade? If so, and if we are talking about a euro scabbard with a wood core, you may have caught the inside of the scabbard with the tip of the sword upon sheathing at some point. If you have always had this trouble with the scabbard, it may just be that that it rubs somewhere and isn't perfectly planed on the inside.

I don't really know, I can't think of anything that would prevent your blade from getting scratched... besides a new scabbard. If that is an option, and you have a maker in mind whose work you admire,.... maybe? Happy Or if you have the skill or would like to try your hand at scabbard production... you have an incentive! Happy

I am sorry if this hasn't been truly helpful yet! I really only hit "reply" to say this: Cut with it and the hell with perfect finish. If this is a working piece (sharp) and you can stand to use it (it will get scuffed!) I suggest you use it and start remembering fondly from where the scratches on the blade originate. I'm quite OCD myself, and the only thing that has kept me from going crazy about swords and the natural aging process of steel is to cut with each and every one of them and only worry about cleaning off corrosive rust.

I'm sorry about your blade Sad
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I may, I'll provide some possible causes.

It is possible the wood core wasn't sanded properly on the inside, and there is a hard sliver of wood rubbing against the blade. Another possibility would be some wood glue dried inside that formed a hard line to it, thereby scratching the blade as you sheathe and draw the sword. If you're 100% there is something inside the core that is scratching the blade, try shining a flashlight down inside the core and see if you can identify it. If it is too deep, you could be screwed. If it is near the mouth you may be able to remove it or smooth the object out.. Though if it is a poorly sanded core, there isn't anything you can do, and if it is dried glue, that could be tough too.

Best of luck!

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could be a scratch, or it could be a mark.

By scratch I mean that something significantly hard, approaching or exceeding the hardness of the blade, has contacted it when you are putting it in or out and it has gouged out some metal. It could be a stray piece of workshop swarf or grit that got in and hasn't got out. It could be a bit of yard grit that got in somehow, a rivet holding the fittings on is set too deep or something else I haven't thought of that is hard metal or mineral. Rap the scabbard mouth down on the table and hope something is loose enough to drop out. If it is a scratch, my money would be on a big chunk of grinder grit, that will be half pressed into the wood and won't shift.

By mark I mean something has rubbed on the blade that deposits some of itself onto the blade to create a visible smudge/smear/line etc, but the integrity of the blade is not affected and as Brian suggests this could be all manner of materials causing this.

If it is a scratch unless you can track the problem down and deal with it, it will remain a problem. If it is only marking the blade a wipe with a few different solvents or at most a scotch brite will solve the problem until you sheath it again and in time it will probably lessen.

My tuppence worth.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod's advice on determining if it's indeed a scratch or a scuff. That's very important. I've had many scabbards that have left scuffs on the blade and have solved it by putting several layers of tape on the area of the blade getting marked. I used something with a texture such as a "gaffer's tape" that is fabric-based. I then insert the blade into the scabbard and remove it over and over and over until I've worn down the area that caused the scuff. It's worked for me.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK here it is,

Looking at it now it seems to be pitting I guess. I have no idea why this would be here. I guess I can run through some ideas with you folks. Pisses me off- I hope Something can be done but I have used both maroon and gray scotchbrites with no improvement.

What do you think?

The scabbard is said to be made of "nut wood" which I gather is walnut or hickory.

Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So does anyone have any insights into this scratch/pitting?

I took some fine sand paper followed by some scotchbrite and removed a bit of the apparent nature of this blemish but four or five pits remain. I am not sure how this got there.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like pitting from rust to me. Are you sure that the scabbard is the cause? Perhaps you once put it away without sufficient cleaning/oiling? If there's moisture trapped in the scabbard somehow then I wouldn't know how to fix that, sorry. Perhaps just let it dry out on it's own (i.e. without the sword in it).
The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl

Last edited by Sander Marechal on Fri 03 Jun, 2011 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mean that series of dark spots right next to the upper (in the picture) edge? That's corrosion, not a scratch. How and where do you store this blade? Do you always clean and oil it after use?

At any rate, from the photo it doesn't look all that serious. Any working blade will gain marks of use and age, over time; IMO, it builds character. Happy

PS. Scotchbrite doesn't remove the stain because it can't reach the bottoms of the pits. There are chemical de-corroders you could try, though.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
So does anyone have any insights into this scratch/pitting?

I took some fine sand paper followed by some scotchbrite and removed a bit of the apparent nature of this blemish but four or five pits remain. I am not sure how this got there.

Light rust most probably, some alloys are more sensitive to it than others and especially blood or sweat can easily pit a blade like that. Might even be rubbed off when the sword is drawn so you don't see much brown rust. Do you oil the blade any or keep it dry in the scabbard?

Seems minor to me, as Mikko says it just adds character to the sword, IMO it also shows it's not a stainless blade. After all, most swords that see actual use gets some of these given time and usually a lot more wear in other places.
You can probably carefully sand it all out and polish it up without harming the integrity of the blade. If this is an expensive hand forged blade then contact the manufacturer and see if they will help with removing it.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Fri 03 Jun, 2011 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that it looks like corrosion but I'll build on what Nathan said--I recently improved the fit of a wood-core scabbard by sticking to the blade a bit of adhesive-backed sandpaper at the point of unwanted friction. Worked perfectly.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I agree that it looks like corrosion but I'll build on what Nathan said--I recently improved the fit of a wood-core scabbard by sticking to the blade a bit of adhesive-backed sandpaper at the point of unwanted friction. Worked perfectly.

That's a sweet solution! I'll make sure to try this with my large khukri that keeps sticking in the scabbard. Stock scabbard from Nepal, not one of my own and probably just made perfect for a different climate.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

I have been using renaissance wax. This corrosion showed up after I looked at my sword after a significant change in temperature in the closet I keep it in. The scabbard was tighter when I pulled it out- maybe the scabbard warped a tiny bit because if I reversed the direction of the sword it was more loose than it had been previously. Maybe pressure from the wood removed the protection in this area and caused it.

But who knows? I'll just forget about it for now. Maybe I'll have it removed later. It's my Barta sword so I'll have to find someone in the US who feels comfortable doing this for me. At least at this point I don't see myself using my sword for cutting.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scratches on blades from scabbards
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic