Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making a decision today, but have a question ;) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Which would be the “one” sword that you would take into battle? Assume that you may be up against a mix of adversaries with a mix of medieval weapons but with limited to light armor (assume very limited to no plate armor)
The Crecy
56%
 56%  [ 37 ]
The Baron
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
The Knight
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
The Oakeshott
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 65

Paul B.G

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Making a decision today, but have a question ;)         Reply with quote

Gday guys

Ok I have finally got all the legal’s sorted for owing a sword in Victoria, Australia and am ready to place my order. I’m ordering through www.roninswords.com.au who is the only Albion retailer in Australia that I know of, going through a dealer seems to be the best way to import a sword as you have to fill in police & customs reports otherwise.

I’m hoping to place my order later tonight but STILL! haven’t made up my mind which sword I’m going to get.

I hope you don’t mind but ive got another question for the forum, which I guess might sound a bit odd but I’m hoping it will help me make up my mind…

The Question:

Of the following Albion swords;

The Crecy

The Baron

The Knight

The Oakeshott

Which would be the “one” sword that you would take into battle? Assume that you may be up against a mix of adversaries with a mix of medieval weapons but with limited to light to no armor (assume very limited to no plate armor)

I really love all 4 of these swords and haven’t really read anything negative about any of then, I’m sure I will be delighted with any of them.

Thanks in advance guys, the last thread I started on my choice gave me some really helpful advice and I’m hoping this will get me over the line.

Cheers

Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses

Last edited by Paul B.G on Fri 27 May, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Paul. So, how tall are you? I'm short, so the Knight is a more logical choice for me. I have a Laird (same type blade), and it's most likely what I would carry in such a situation.
Good luck with this, William

tweetchris
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William C Champlin wrote:
Hey Paul. So, how tall are you? I'm short, so the Knight is a more logical choice for me. I have a Laird (same type blade), and it's most likely what I would carry in such a situation.
Good luck with this, William

Gday William, Im about 6ft 3”, 95kg and I'm 35 Wink

Cheers - Paul

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

Quinn W.

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You've picked good choices all around. The Crecy is a very versatile sword designed around the transitional period, so it is designed to take on opponents who have at least some plate armor. Not that it couldn't handle light armor, but you might be better off going with something specifically designed to combat lighter armor types.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Crecy seems the most versatile and usable one or twohanded equally well.

The Baron is definitely a War sword and a bit more hefty for blunt trauma.

I would consider the other two but only with a shield as they are one handers.

Hard choice but I think I would go for the Crecy.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Much as I love the Oakeshott, with the parameters that you've set up, I choose the Crecy, the all-around cut and thrust sword.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Much as I love the Oakeshott, with the parameters that you've set up, I choose the Crecy, the all-around cut and thrust sword.

Thanks guys really getting great info, just made a quick edit to the question;

"with limited to light to no armor"

Cheers

Paul

Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the scenario I would have to say the Crecy.

There is an argument for the fact that later stiffer blades are actually better for cutting real targets, including those with lighter armour or unarmoured than swords with lenticular blade geometry such as the type XII & XIIa.

Edit note: see Michaels comments below, it was some extensive testing by him that opened my eyes to the role blade stiffness plays in cutting ability.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)

Last edited by Paul Watson on Fri 27 May, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Crecy: one of the best cutting swords on the market. Stiff and has an excellent point. Can easily be used one handed but excels in two. Handle is a bit short for my tastes but still very useable.

The Baron: big, heavy, cuts tatami very well but does not do so well against textile armor. Thin near the COP and more prone to bending than Crecy. Not really useable one handed. Lots of presence and personality.

The Knight: nice all around single hand sword. Cuts well.

The Oakeshott: no experience with it

If I was in the market for one of these it would be the Crecy hands down.

Hope this helps.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul B.G wrote:
Which would be the “one” sword that you would take into battle? Assume that you may be up against a mix of adversaries with a mix of medieval weapons but with limited to light to no armor (assume very limited to no plate armor)

A mix of medieval weapons would include missile weapons. So that means you need either a comprehensive suit of armour or a shield, the latter of the two being the most economical. A shield means that you'd be better off with a single handed sword.

This is a hypothetical situation of course, but anyway the choice between a single hander or a hand-and-a-half seems rather significant. Personally I tend to prefer single handers, but that's just me. Then to choose between the Knight and the Oakeshott is difficult for me, as I have not handled either. But the Knight is more or less the typical medieval sword and would be appropriate for a very large part of the middle ages.

Do study, or plan to study, any kind of fencing? If so, than that should also play a big part.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the Crecy, which is our school's sharp.

That being said, my own personal sharp is the Sempach...

This was last weekend, a great double cut I did against tatami with the Crecy:

But even the Crecy is hindered by cloth armour at times. I broke the tatami nearly completely thru, but did not cut thru the cloth armour.

Tristán Zukowski

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, too, vote for the Crecy. Both for reasons Mike mentioned (since he's speaking from experience using mine)...
Michael Edelson wrote:
The Crecy: one of the best cutting swords on the market. Stiff and has an excellent point. Can easily be used one handed but excels in two. Handle is a bit short for my tastes but still very useable.

...plus it's also the sword I use on a daily basis for practice, and thus have become quite familiar with it.

Tristan P. Zukowski
Longsword (KdF) Instructor, New York Historical Fencing Association
Longsword (KdF) Instructor, Sword Class NYC
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The beauty of the Crecy would be that when a cut will not suffice a thrust from it should be able to penetrate most materials that can be thrust through.

At around 3 pounds and with a resonably close POB single handed use should be possible, although not in such an efficient manner as a sword that is designed soley for single handed use.

With regards to the difference between the Knight and the Oakeshott the Knight is a very quick sword in strike and recovery but the Oakeshott is even more nimble.

The Knight "appears" to be more robust, there is more guts to the blade land less self flex, but the Oakeshott has a much more complex profile and from an engineering point of view it may be proved if they were actually tested under the expected conditions demanded upon them that it may be more durable because of this profile

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, im actually really surprised at the result, I thought that the baron would have been right up there. I guess im lucky the way its turned out as a close poll would have made it even harder to decide. To be honest I was leaning towards the crecy and this has given me a lot of comfort. Its now Sunday night so im going to paypal my order tomorrow in my lunch break.

I really what you thank you all for taking the time to give me such great considered advice, I was really agonizing over the decision and now I feel quite comfortable.

Now for the waiting game Wink and in the meantime ive got to decide on the scabbard from DBK Custom.

Paul

William Frisbee

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You won't be sorry with the Crecy. Take care of it, learn to cut properly, and it will last forever.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
You won't be sorry with the Crecy. Take care of it, learn to cut properly, and it will last forever.

Nothing lasts forever. Happy That's why I have two Brescia Spadonas and am thinking of getting a third, or maybe a Principe.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 29 May, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The crecy is really an all rounder sword so it is what I would like as a general sword for a mix of adversaries. The baron is a specialized bit and the other two are one handers only.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
William Frisbee wrote:

Nothing lasts forever. Happy That's why I have two Brescia Spadonas and am thinking of getting a third, or maybe a Principe.

Two of them? Wow. Such amazing blades. Albion did such a fantasic job on reproducing the original.

Forever is a relative term. Wink
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
the other two are one handers only.

I'd agree with Paul Hansen that in the context described a one-hander would actually make sense... Looking at history I'm under the impression that one-and-a-half types only become dominant when armour becomes comprehensive enough.

That being said I'm sure the original poster will be very happy with a Crecy anyway, I have its little brother the Squire and it's really a nasty sword...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
the other two are one handers only.

I'd agree with Paul Hansen that in the context described a one-hander would actually make sense... Looking at history I'm under the impression that one-and-a-half types only become dominant when armour becomes comprehensive enough.

That being said I'm sure the original poster will be very happy with a Crecy anyway, I have its little brother the Squire and it's really a nasty sword...

Regards,

With the Crécy one sort of has a one hander and a two hander because I think it could be used with a shield.

The sword could also still be a backup weapon to a polearm or for an archer or crossbowman combined with a buckler.

So the Crécy gives a lot of options:

A) Good as a longsword of the smaller kind.
B) Good as a longish one hander used with a full shield.
C) Good as a backup weapon with also a buckler.

Some more specialized swords might be better for each but the Crécy would be very usable for each of these options in my opinion.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making a decision today, but have a question ;)
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: