Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Question on Mid to Late 16th century sword carriers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Alesia

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: A Question on Mid to Late 16th century sword carriers         Reply with quote

I am looking for extant and/or pictoral evidence of sword carriers other than hangers on soldiers from the period between 1550-1600. For example, I recall reading about the manner that which Landsknechts carried their katzbalgers on their waist was by tying the scabbard to a sash. Was this also used by other nationalities in wearing their sword on their person? So far hangers dominate the civilian side, I was wondering if things were different on the military side.
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: hangers         Reply with quote

Girdle and hanger pretty much dominate the scene for wearing a sword into the 1620's ish......

I'm aware of one image showing what may be a baldric on The Lant Roll and that 's it.
M. Alesia

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

guess the girdle and hanger was the standard MOLLE system for the 16th century, was hoping to find a bigger variety. I just have the ability to study the period woodcuts in detail. As far as baldrics go they seemed to be extremely rare in the 16th century.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Question on Mid to Late 16th century sword carriers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic