Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My attempt at the "Instant Antique"DIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: My attempt at the "Instant Antique"         Reply with quote

Inspired by Mr. Sean A. Flynt's article on antiquing, I took it upon myself to try his methods. I chose my DT 2153. For the antiquing medium, I used the vinegar and salt combo. Since Sean noted that he just mixed random amounts together, I went for overload--full saturation. I kept adding salt until the vinegar wouldn't dissolve anymore, then I added just enough vinegar to dissolve what was left over. I sprayed the blade and hilt furniture while protecting the leather wrap with Saran wrap and masking tape. I let the sword rest for one full day (I couldn't help going back and re-spraying from time to time after the previous spraying had dried) and then cleaned everything off. I noticed some areas that would benefit from more "definition" in the patina, so I re-sprayed and went another day. I then cleaned off all of the rust, leaving the black as Sean suggested. A brass wire brush came in handy in cleaning out the nooks and crannies on the pommel and cross. A good buffing with 0000 steel wool and a good coating with Renaissance Wax, and now the sword just "pops"! I love the way it turned out. I was surprised at how black the blade looks. I'll post all of my pics in my album, but here are a few good ones to whet your appetite. Hmmm, maybe my Black Prince is next....

Attachment: 100.06 KB
DSC00689a.jpg
Antiqued DT 2153 Full shot

Attachment: 97.97 KB
DSC00690a.jpg
Antiqued DT 2153 Hilt

Attachment: 99.61 KB
DSC00691a.jpg
Antiqued DT 2153 Blade detail

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
David Rowe

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey man, very nice. Normally I'm not too keen on the whole antiquing thing, but that looks really sweet. Nice work.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve, did yo do anything to prepare the metal before using the antiquing solution? Any stripping, buffing, cleaning, or did you just take the sword "as is" and apply the mix?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like what you did there Steve, but you stay away from that nice shiny Black Prince Mister! Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Steve, did yo do anything to prepare the metal before using the antiquing solution? Any stripping, buffing, cleaning, or did you just take the sword "as is" and apply the mix?

I had it waxed, so I just stripped off all of the wax with mineral spirits. I didn't want any bright spots on the blade where the solution couldn't penetrate.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Like what you did there Steve, but you stay away from that nice shiny Black Prince Mister! Happy

Whoa there Russ! Close your eyes and take long, deep breaths. Go to your happy place. <runs for door with Black Prince while Russ has his eyes closed> Laughing Out Loud

Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve that looks fantastic!

I've never been much on aging, but results like yours are really tempting me to give it a try.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Steve...

That is one great looking sword... excellent work, especially considering it was your first shot at the whole new-for-old improvement.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That came out nice!

I should do this to a few CAS pieces I have lying around... spruce them up a bit...

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great Steve.....good job!

Bill
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good results Steve: Its good to have an idea about how far to push the antiquing before starting the process.

Also I wouldn't want to antique a custom piece or a very high end piece.

For something like the squire line I might want to age it just enough to give it the caractor of a well maintainned sword that has been passed down for a few generations and that has seen battle but has not been seriously damaged: No big dents in the blade.

For a much lower end wall hanger that has the lines of a real sword, at least in profile, but not the handling or balance of a good using sword i.e. an cheap wallhanger. (Maybe an EXPENSIVE sword bought before I new any better.) I would go for the much more corroded look pushing it past the point were it would still be a user.

As to corroding medium I have had some success with lemon juice

Again, good job.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: EXCELLENT!         Reply with quote

Nice, Steve, nice. Cool

I'm a huge fan of the antiqued look and finish. And I think you did an excellent job!
Very nicely balanced finish throughout.

Very well done, sir, Happy
Jesse

Jesse D. Zinn
North Carolina

“Hwæt wé Gár-Dena in geár-dagum
þéod-cyninga þrym gefrúnon,
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon."
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Whoa there Russ! Close your eyes and take long, deep breaths. Go to your happy place. <runs for door with Black Prince while Russ has his eyes closed> Laughing Out Loud

(It's only after he's out the door that Steve realizes Russ had switched out his Black Prince with Dar... er some nameless makers latest imitation...)

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I think that's just gorgeous. Whew! When I saw the title of this thread I was afraid your post would begin, "Does anybody know a good lawyer?"
I really do love what you've done with this piece. Congrats on a very successful experiment!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: EXCELLENT!         Reply with quote

Jesse Zinn wrote:
Nice, Steve, nice. Cool

I'm a huge fan of the antiqued look and finish. And I think you did an excellent job!
Very nicely balanced finish throughout.

Very well done, sir, Happy
Jesse

Thanks all!
I too was pleased at how even the 'mottling' came out. Looks like it just lay about in the open in an old church or something.

Last edited by Steve Maly on Wed 29 Sep, 2004 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Steve that looks fantastic!

I've never been much on aging, but results like yours are really tempting me to give it a try.

It's kinda like the stock market...don't invest anything you can't get along without! So don't use any sword you'll regret if it doesn't turn out. If I wanted to put more elbow grease into it, I could bring it back to it's shiny self--a "restored" look, but I like the "darkness". I think, particularly starting out, it is important to clean off the sword after each day so you don't take it 'too far'.

Steve Maly

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Steve Maly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

(It's only after he's out the door that Steve realizes Russ had switched out his Black Prince with Dar... er some nameless makers latest imitation...)

D'oh! Darn that Russ! Laughing Out Loud

Steve Maly

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Well, I think that's just gorgeous. Whew! When I saw the title of this thread I was afraid your post would begin, "Does anybody know a good lawyer?"
I really do love what you've done with this piece. Congrats on a very successful experiment!

Thanks Sean! I don't think I would have even attempted it without your great article.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My attempt at the "Instant Antique"DIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic