Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New ATrim: Thorpe Falchion first look Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom Kinder

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: New ATrim: Thorpe Falchion first look         Reply with quote

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6366/img0001qq.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5083/img0002pua.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9200/img0003af.jpg

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4500/img0004hm.jpg

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/1527/img0005od.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3681/fachioncompare.jpg

Total Length: 38"
Blade Length: 31.5"
Grip: 4.25"
Weight: 2lbs 10.3oz
PoB: 5.5"

this first one was photographed by its owner, and I just picked up the second of the prototypes over the weekend and have not had the chance to take any of my own pictures.

while it is certainly a sword that says it will cut with massive amounts of power it also feels nicely agile.
I have cut just a little bit with it on 2 liter bottles. my first cut was with the sharpened false edge and it was a beautiful clean cut. the long edge did not disappoint me either. I only cut a couple bottles but I'm sure this thing will eat through tatami like mad.

more information to come soon.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Tom.

I like that, a lot! Great to see a maker put that design into production, as the windlass does little justice to the original.
Is that going to be a one off or be added in the gus trim catalogue (if there is such a thing, I admit I don't understand how gus blades are distributed anymore...). The guard and pommel are very rough and factory finished (as usual), I wonder about the price tag of this piece?

Cheers,

J
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Hi Tom.

I like that, a lot! Great to see a maker put that design into production, as the windlass does little justice to the original.
Is that going to be a one off or be added in the gus trim catalogue (if there is such a thing, I admit I don't understand how gus blades are distributed anymore...). The guard and pommel are very rough and factory finished (as usual), I wonder about the price tag of this piece?

Cheers,

J

I like it too. There arent many production falchions that i really like, so I would also like to know the price of that one.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The point looks a bit fragile but that will wear in before it wears out, I'm sure. It's nice to see Gus doing up some falchions Gus had done some small Conyers type shapes in years gone by. The Parrell version of that Conyers had a slightly longer grip and a bit beefier than it needed to in the blade cross section towards the tip. I worry about the needly points that pop up on some swords and unless those are quite stout/thick, the wear in period may bother some a bit.

I wonder about stock thickness as well on these. Is Gus ever going to return to thicker stock? Is this Thorpe the standard .250" stock? I noted Tinker's recent kopis is slim stock as well and wonder a lot about period dimensions for a great many blades.

Looks like a fun piece.

Cheers

GC
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks guys, I like this one a lot and it will be a production piece. there are currently two out, this one pictured and one in my trunk with a style 1 spike guard and similar pommel. our normal single hander price is $375 for rough Mercenary polish and $435 for full polish but these blades have a lot more work in them due to some complex and subtle geometry so they are going to have to cost a little more, I will let you guys know real soon as we are still hashing out the price issue.

as for the design and thickness: the specs Gus has on the original Thorpe put the thickness at the base of the blade less than 1/4" and it gets REALLY thin as you go farther out. As usual with Gus' designs this wasn't meant to be an exact replica so much as a "sister sword." inspired by is a good term here. I am pretty sure Gus will be doing some thicker material stuff eventually. lately though, Gus' new designs have been blowing his old stuff out of the water so much that we haven't been working with the old patterns much.

Gus says he also has intentions of making a shorter, lighter version of this as well as a two handed version.
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry for the delay guys but we had some numbers that needed to be crunched.

Price for the falchion will be $400 for mercenary grade, and $460 for full finish.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is great and is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. I'm so glad to see this in production.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

finally got my personal hands on one of these and boy-howdy am I impressed with it. here's some pictures, vid and stats from the review.

Weight: 2 pounds 8 ounces.
Over-all length: 38.25 inches
Blade Length: 31.75 inches
Blade Width @ Cross: 1 13/16 inches
Blade width @ clip peak: 2 1/16
Fuller length: 17.5 inches
Clip length: 9.25”
Grip length: 4 ¼”
Cross Guard length: 8.5 inches
Point of Balance: 6 inches

The back edge of the clip is sharpened but it stops just before the point of the clip thus cutting with it can be tricky. I did manage to cleanly pop the top off a 2 liter bottle at Gus' shop but did not have the same luck with tatami as will be seen in the video.

Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Tue 24 May, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Type K pommel

standard ATrim leather and cord grip with a decidedly rectangular shape that fits the hand comfortably and assists in good edge alignment.

The guard is recessed to better fit the blade.

As expected from an ATrim sword the tang is nice and healthy.

My only real nit-pick about the sword lives in this area though:
There’s this little spot right before the guard where the fuller flares out. the other prototype did not have this so this is not going to be a normal issue.

my apologies for not having an entire youtube link here but I'll have to fix it later as I cannot access Youtube from this computer, you should be able to find the video with the info below.
[youtube] 5yrTE5BpHTg

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New ATrim: Thorpe Falchion first look
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic