Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pictures - Wallace collection-London Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I realize how difficult it is to get good photos and especially in such an environment as the Wallace Collection. I really don't want to add to the pile of work ahead of you, but since you're asking, I suppose I'll throw a bunch of things into the pile!

I'd be interested in seeing complex-hilted longswords of the late 15th and 16th centuries. You've taken great photos of A479 but I'd love to have as much info and images as possible on this beautiful sword:
A479

I'd be very interested in this as well with any additional angles and especially the blade:
A697

I'm also in love with many of the Landsknecht daggers such as these:
A755
A754

Here is a list of swords that are of interest to me. These are not intended for any particular purpose at the moment so they are not at all a priority so consider them as a "nice to have". There are some neat items here, though.
A492
A481
A482
A478
A483
A485
A486
A491
A476

Thank you for your consideration. The contributions you've already made are very much valued.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok. I had it coming and I was a bit overwhelmed by ID's. Even if I magnanimously granted myself a two hour lunchbreak, I could not get it all so sorry for those who won't get what they asked for (for now that is...). Very Sunny day in London too which obviously did not help speeding things up during shooting.

Anyway I'll be uploading the rest shortly, but here is a sample with the A734, a grotesque tricephalus dagger with scabbard and side fork. Never noticed it before...superb.

Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A524

The blade looks to be of flat and thin exagonal section, and I tried to get that on these shots below. The is also a shalow fueller below the guard extending down the blade (1/6th?).

Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A 734

(very stout dagger!)

Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A726

A732

Ballock dagger with side knife and scabbard

Circular Flat cap fastened to the tang by a small silver button; the grip, which is separated from the pommel by a brass washer, is of maple wood; it is of round section and tapers towards the quillons, where it expands into two kidney-shaped lobes, hence the name; from these project two small guards of steel, extending over the blade; the latter is single-edged, and of strong, triangular section. A maker's mark is inlaid in brass on one side.

L. blade 10 1/4; w. 3/4; wt. 8 1/2 ounces

Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A457

A456

Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not satisfied with the rest of the shots so I'm afraid that will be all for now!

Enjoy.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien -

Thank you for what you've already provided! For guys like myself on this side of the world, this type of photo documentation not only is hugely valuable, but serves as a tremendous encouragement to go to these institutions so that we can view and study these items first-hand. My last visit to the Wallace Collection was, what, six or seven years ago or so. It's been far too long and your photos simply light that fire to make it happen again.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers Nathan.

As said, I'm glad to contribute to a website I spend way too many hours on. I would go for my own pleasure in any case, and why keep those on my hard drive when I can share them here?

So see you soon on this side of the Atlantic then Happy (the wallace, the british museum, the V&A, the london museum, the kelgrove, the tower of london, the royal armouries at leeds, westminster abbey featuring henry V sword, two hours of eurostar and you get the huge collection of the musee de l'armee and this summer a special exibition focusing solely on the sword by the musee de cluny...well worth a trip I'd say!!)

So, I almost forgot these! When standing in from of those along taza rapiers, it is hard not to be drawned to such a flamboyant style (despite the fact that it is not my usual cup of tea). I can't help to wonder how such elaborate floral patterns on the quillons and front guard were made).

Enjoy.

A825

A826

Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A829

Lineup

Nils Anderssen

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all, thanks Julian for all the nice detailed pictures Happy

I visited the Wallace Collection a couple of weeks ago, and yes, it is really hard to take good pictures there... even with a good DSLR camera (a tripod might have been useful).

I have updated the gallery on Vikverirs museum gallery page with pictures from my trip to London, and among those some 150 pics from the Wallace Collection. They can be found here:

http://www.vikverir.no/museum_gallery.html

Again, thanks for sharing your pictures and putting so mutch work into it Happy

Nils
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien, my deepest thanks for your pics of A732, and for all the rest! Very good pics and very generous of you to take requests and fulfill them with such efficiency Cool

Your pics show a characteristic of A732 of which I wasn't aware: the blade has an inverted distal taper (i.e. thicker at the point than at the base)... or are my eyes having a laugh at my expense?

Again, thank you three times three, what you're doing is grand and much appreciated!
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien,

I'll be at the Wallace on Sunday and then plan to give a short talk about it to my classmates on Monday to encourage them to visit (I'm studying abroad for these next four weeks, staying in a flat up in Kilburn Park). Do you think I could use some of your photos to show them, since I know my own snapshots will fall very short?

Once again, great shots and thanks for taking the time to document these pieces.

--Zach
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nils Anderssen wrote:
I visited the Wallace Collection a couple of weeks ago, and yes, it is really hard to take good pictures there... even with a good DSLR camera (a tripod might have been useful).

Hi Nils,

Very nice gallery, an instant bookmark.

I don't have a DSLR camera unfortunately, but a only a bridge, the LUMIX DMC Z38. I've never been a photography addict, but I regret I did not go for a DSLR now, as I am becoming increasingly demanding with it . The autofocus gets mad when shooting through glass, sometimes I have no dificulty getting a crisp close up, sometimes it leaves me hanging there, searching, for a minute.
There are possibilities of manual overide, so looks like I'll have to go through that bloody manual after all Happy

Simon G. wrote:
Your pics show a characteristic of A732 of which I wasn't aware: the blade has an inverted distal taper (i.e. thicker at the point than at the base)... or are my eyes having a laugh at my expense?

I'm not sure Simon, but I would guess not. The spine is typically very thick (half a centimeter wide at least). I think there is little taper at the spine, maybe the tip is reinforced a bit, but I think that might just be the picture looking odd.

Zach, you are welcome to use these shots of course. Some people are very protective of such materials as I have seen on occasions on forums. I simply don't get it. Enjoy your visit!

J
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Julien         Reply with quote

Julien:

Kudos.

The craftsmanship of these old masters is almost unbelievable! True...they had apprenticeships and journeymen to do some of the grunt work, but....

Of course, these items are some of the best that exist, but still....astounding attention to detail with no electricity, Drimel tools, power sanders, Ace Hardware shelves to run to....

Thank you for taking the time and energy to do this.

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Julien,

Great stuff! The only drawback is that I'm now finding that all of my sword reference books seem like they're woefully lacking ... one image of a blade in profile is now no longer enough!

I bet you've also just made a couple of sheathmakers happy with pics of those dagger sheaths. Given the scant printed research we have about them, these images are a great resource.

Oh, and just another nudge for the A467! Wink

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Mark, the A467 was a headache on its own. It stands too close to the sword next to it, hiding the left quillon, plus there is a vertical wooden panel almost in front of it. Too much light and too many people in the room at that time to draw the curtains too. I'll try again next time no worries.
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I'd be very interested in this as well with any additional angles and especially the blade:
A697

Me too! Julien: it's nearly a year on ... you going back sometime soon? Wink

Mark T

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you see A515 in the Wallace collection while you were there 5 years ago?
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
Did you see A515 in the Wallace collection while you were there 5 years ago?

Hi Edward,
I was there shortly before new year eve, could have shot a few pictures, too bad Happy
I'll try to keep this in mind when I go again.

J

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pictures - Wallace collection-London
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: