Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > From the King's Champions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan;

Thanks I will try to find it, I wish I could remember the name of the "other" film I describbed because it was really good!
Maybe if I search for films with Orson Wells in it?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan;

Found it under the title Flesh & Blood" out of stock but ordered one copy, should have it in 4 weeks. (Thanks all)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
I

However, the Duke made my milennia! The first couple of impromtu cuts that I did were exceedingly SWEET. I didn't even feel the impact on the tatami, it was like cutting through butter. When I later did a similar cutting demonstration, I learned the real secret of the design (like Eric says "a butcher knife on a stick") as my first cut with it was fine, but I brought my horse too close to the target on the second and it resulted with the blade striking much more closely to the hilt than it should (on top of this, I had Nicki holding up the tatami and I know that I was nervous about that!). The blade "caught" and pulled the target out of her hands. Had it been secured to a stand, it would have cleaved through with just a bit more effort than before, though.

I don't have a horse (or any knowledge of riding), but I echo the sentiment with my whole heart. The Duke is a butcher knife on a stick - it is a brutal, ruthless and yet elegant monster of a cutting sword. Having a good horse behind the blow - it must be awesome.
Tristan Waddington
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to echo the great things said about Lanze Fest. I'm really glad everyone enjoyed it so much, I know everyone at Albion did! Eric especially was really getting into his character, you should have seen us all scrambling to get our costumes done for the weekend! I was up working on my costume at 10:30pm the night before. It is really exciting to have something like this in a town like New Glarus. I really expect Lanze Fest to continue to grow and mature as the years progress. It really has the potential to turn into something huge, and the people at Albion really have the talent to carry it there. Thanks to everyone who helped to make Lanze Fest a success on it's first year, especially everyone at The King's Champions!
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -Bruce Cambell as Ash in Evil Dead: Army of Darkness
Leif Hansen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
. . . and while we're on the subject of insane, I've got to mention Steve during the last run of the games before Rod made it back to finish the joust. If I remember right, Steve had Lloyd come at him THREE times with a steel tipped spear, the plan being that Lloyd would pop a balloon Steve held in his TEETH. . . three passes, three confirmed strikes with the spear, three times with danger inches from Steve's face, and no broken balloon - the thing just wouldn't pop! That's guts.

I got a pretty good photo of this...

---------------------------
Leif Hansen
Albion Armorers
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah that was nuts. Just Plain Crazy. Just Boggles the mind!

To think that two different spears couldn't pop one little balloon! LOL

But seriously... The Crowd was on the edge of their seats when Lloyd and Steve were doing this. Great impromptu idea guys. If I remember right. It all came about because squire Bob moved one of the ring targets on purpose as Lloyd was trying to lance it. Then He refused to accept the "punishment" for his actions. Thats when Steve stepped up. Great Job guys. Sure had my attention.

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt G. Meekma wrote:
Yeah that was nuts. Just Plain Crazy. Just Boggles the mind!

To think that two different spears couldn't pop one little balloon! LOL

I think this is an excellent example of the power of deflecting surfaces utilized in breastplates and other pieces of armour. I would have winged it and called it a "demonstration" of such things if I were there! (And if it popped, that would demonstrate the "devastating power" of the spear!)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want everyone to note that on the first picture of the Lanzefest on the Albion site, I am wearing the Mercenary Tailor "clamshell" gauntlet on my right hand. It fit and performed much better than the stainless one that I normally wear - now I just gotta sell the set of stainless ones to get a set of Allan's!

As for the balloon, I have popped many balloons that were statically attached, but this was the first time I thought to try it where the balloon could actually shift. I agree that it was a great demonstration of how rounded, deflecting surfaces can defeat even the sharpest spears.

I think that I am going to order two or three of the western lanceheads from Museum Reps and if Allan is still willing to destructive test one of his breastplates, I am really interested in how, or if, the lancehead will penetrate the steel.

See Eric and Rod, you have created a monster - now I really want to know how all of these "mounted" weapons actually worked - as I am no longer able to accept the "expert" opinions of the Ivory Tower set any longer. That and I think that the patrons would like to be "educationally-entertained", which expands on our "show is no show" basis for all King's Champions performances. I also have a nice, "German" warhammer that was made to be used by a mounted knight - an suggestions on what we can test it on?

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Bob Reinke

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why do I see squire injuries on the rise....................

"SQUIRE!!... put on that helm, I want to test this hammer..................."

Bob Reinke
Order of the Northern Star
(almost formerly known as The Kings Champions)
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't lost a squire in.....well, uh...okay bad example.....
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob, practice tonight is weather permitting. Once again, swinging swords in thunderstorms may seem a good idea, however, in practice I say again - I Don't Do Highlander Shows (well, I do actually...).
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd , Breast plates yours when your ready . I'm as curious as you are . When I first designed these 8 or so years ago I tested them using arrows from my Bear compound bow . The deflecting angle and curves effect became quickly apparent
when an arrow actually hit and ricochet UP ( here endeth the testing . what goes up must come down ) but theres a world
of difference between an arrow and a couched lance on the back of a horse at a dead run .
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that I will put my arret (lance rest) back on for this test and the grapper. I can see where the sliding of the lance combined with the deflecting planes of the breastplate may make it difficult to punch through. Then again, with the arret, I am limited to an across the neck angle of attack.

I have to think on this one.

Has anyone bought one of the MRL lance heads? I am curious as to what physical properties it might have. It would be something if Allan's breastplate bent the lancehead.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 24 Sep, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whooooweeee - Eric brought me my Duke last night (not with the fuzzy pink hilt though..lol - but a tremendously beautiful GREEN!) and it is definitely a work of art. Needless to say, it is still securely tucked away in its Mark II box next my bed (and yes, I got up twice during the night to look at it - I'm such a sword geek)

Sorry you couldn't come out to eat with us last night, but to Amy, Howy, Eric and everyone at Albion, you are always invited!

Talk to you soon,

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
Swordmaster
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 24 Sep, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd, I know you're new around here and all, but. . .pictures, man, pictures! Wink

Seriously, though, if you want I can see if I can grab a digital camera if you wouldn't mind some shots taken on Saturday before/after practice.

Also, personalized delivery; I'm impressed. Cool

. . . and remember, soda around the house now must only be purchased in two-liter bottles and keep your eyes open for end-of-season clearance sales on pool noodles!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > From the King's Champions
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: