Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A good spearhead supplier? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
A. Fleet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: A good spearhead supplier?         Reply with quote

Hi I'm trying to start up a germanic tribesman kit around 1 A.D. I'm starting from scratch right now and looking to get a basic spear and shield. I think I could make the shield myself but unfortunately I can't make a spearhead. Does anyone know where I could buy one that would be appropriate around my time period? Thanks in advance!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know what forms would be appropriate for you, but this one is pretty generic. The form was used from ancient times through the 16th c. I have this one and I'm very impressed with it. I'm impressed with the price, too. I'll be finishing mine in late 15th c. style.

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1045.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
A. Fleet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I don't know what forms would be appropriate for you, but this one is pretty generic. The form was used from ancient times through the 16th c. I have this one and I'm very impressed with it. I'm impressed with the price, too. I'll be finishing mine in late 15th c. style.

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1045.html

That's a very nice head! I have attached a file with the types of spearheads I'm looking for but that one would should work just fine. Maybe I'll have to buy multiple spears(my wallet will be aching by the time I'm done).

Attachment: 117.69 KB
[ Download ]
A. Fleet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Out of curiosity what would be the average price for a basic custom spearhead?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Search for "Pikula" on this site and you'll find a thread about his beautiful custom work.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The spearhead above is a nice one, but the wrong shape for the so called period B1, or B1a if you want to be more precise.

Germanic spearheads had a sharper pronounced central rip. The socket was made in a way barely big enough to admit a thumb (Ok, my thumb, I don't know yours. Wink ).
From the few that were examined for their composition we know that they were made on two layers of steel welded together, but this is a detail you won't see.

The only finds that come to my mind right now are from the finds in Vimose 1, but those date to the beginning of period B2, which starts around 70 AD.

I could of course scan a few pictures of those if you want. I may even have pictures from spear heads closer to 1AD. I'll have to look it up.

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: A good spearhead supplier?         Reply with quote

A. Fleet wrote:
Hi I'm trying to start up a germanic tribesman kit around 1 A.D. I'm starting from scratch right now and looking to get a basic spear and shield. I think I could make the shield myself but unfortunately I can't make a spearhead. Does anyone know where I could buy one that would be appropriate around my time period? Thanks in advance!

I would recommend contacting Craig Johnson of Arms & Armor either through his myArmoury PM or via the Arms & Armour web page.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
A. Fleet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne Focke wrote:
The spearhead above is a nice one, but the wrong shape for the so called period B1, or B1a if you want to be more precise.

Germanic spearheads had a sharper pronounced central rip. The socket was made in a way barely big enough to admit a thumb (Ok, my thumb, I don't know yours. Wink ).
From the few that were examined for their composition we know that they were made on two layers of steel welded together, but this is a detail you won't see.

The only finds that come to my mind right now are from the finds in Vimose 1, but those date to the beginning of period B2, which starts around 70 AD.

I could of course scan a few pictures of those if you want. I may even have pictures from spear heads closer to 1AD. I'll have to look it up.

Oh I had no idea. If you could post the images that would be great thanks!
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before i explain the promised pictures let me give you a book recommendation.

Quote:
The spoils of victory: the North in the shadow of the Roman Empire

It is the catalogue of a temporary exhibit at the Danish national museum. If you are lucky you might be able to find a copy on the internet. It contains articles about the great bog finds in Scandinavia. Since those were mostly weapon offerings, it all revolves about germanic weaponry, but not just those...

Another book is more for the collector type.
Quote:
Sønderjyske of Fynske Mosefund. Bind I - III, Thorsbjerg Mosefund, Nydam Mosefund, Kragehul og Vimosefundene.

A compendium of books written by Conrad Engelhardt from 1863 to 1869, the reprint is from 1969.
If you can get a copy grab it. It is in Danish, but the drawings in there are just a must have. One of the following pictures is taken from this book. Happy

Ok, now the pictures:

The first one shows a lance head from a grave find dating very close to the beginning of period B1a. The picture is taken from "The spoils of victory: the North in the shadow of the Roman Empire".
Notice that the central rip is not in place yet.

The second one is the one from Engelhardts book. Just drawings, but really detailed.
It shows various types of lances and spears with different datings, but you notice the similarities, like the mentioned central rip and the really small socket.

The third one shows different types of spear/lance-heads and how they date.
Most interesting for you should be the first half of square one, that is period B1a.
The picture was taken from a book by Jørgen Ilkjaer "Illerup Ådal Band 2. Die Lanzen und Speere.". Also a nice book to have, but the expense might be a little to much for the average reenactor.

I hope this helps.
Sorry I couldn't supply you with a name of a supplier, but I think some liked M. Pikula should be able to make one of these.
I failed miserably when trying to form the central rip using germanic forging methods.
Well, at least I learned a lot. Wink

Attachment: 18.81 KB
lanze2.jpg

Attachment: 178.38 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 180.76 KB
[ Download ]

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The forum keeps mixing up my pictures with every preview, but I am sure you'll be able to figure out which is which.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne Focke wrote:
The forum keeps mixing up my pictures with every preview, but I am sure you'll be able to figure out which is which.

The pictures always display in the actual/final post in the order in which you attach them (first pic attached shows first, etc.) In the post preview, it's exactly reversed, as it's always been: last attached shows first, first attached shows last.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed that the list did sort them reversed, but the display was not in the order I uploaded them.
My feeling was, that it sorted them by size, smallest pic first and so on.

... of course I may be wrong. Wink

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A good spearhead supplier?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic