Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Moroha-zukuri and Kogarasu-maru katanas Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Moroha-zukuri and Kogarasu-maru katanas         Reply with quote

Hello people! I don't have a katana in my collection yet and if I get one, I would like it to be one of these styles - with double edged tip area, either curved or straight: http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/Naohiro4.html
So if you have pictures of such nihontos, I would love to see them... Thanks in advance!
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well that specific geometry is something you see before the katana sword was made so they are seen in tachi style swords...not so much a katana. Although almost production swords of that style uses the katana fittings.

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/Naohiro12.html
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are nice blades! What period are they? Link I posted in my first post says that one such blade "was a treasure of the Taira family in 12th century". What kind of fittings would such a sword in that period have?
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are 3 such old blades. The most famous one is the one that gives its name to the style, Kogarasu Maru (which has its own Wikipedia page.

I don't know about the other 2 old blades, but the more recent ones are usually copies of these, or at least inspired by these.

In relatively recent times, this style has been used for swords for Japanese marshals/field marshals/gensui. Here is one example. The mounts of this are of an old style, possibly how the original Kogarasu Maru might have been mounted.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bugei once did a version of the Little Crow. Here is its page, though I'm almost certain they've discontinued it.

http://www.bugei.com/littlecrow.html

EDIT: Upon second glance, that's a much older version of their website. They probably left it up for reference.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well there is the Cold Steel version and one can get it for a lot less than on the Cold Steel site if one looks around a bit.

Certainly not something that would satisfy a Japanese sword purist looking for something close to an authentic Japanese sword, or how it would have been made, but good enough if one just want a sword to play with and enjoy the design.

http://www.coldsteel.com/japanimperial.html

From Kult of Athena:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...dge+Katana

I have and early version bought around 2001 or 2002 but looking at the KoA pics the finish looks better and grind lines more precise, mine has a few visible grind marks and some small geometric imperfections.

The steel looks pretty good but since I'm not primarily a collector of Japanese swords I'm not that fussy about authentic details. ( Like I said it's still nice to handle and get a feel about how one might use it's partial double edge ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ben Bouchard

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanwei came out with one in their popular Raptor series as well, though the back edge isn't sharpened.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Moroha-zukuri and Kogarasu-maru katanas
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic