Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone have experience with this vendor? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience with this vendor?         Reply with quote

Hello,

I found this place while surfing the Armour Archives trade forum, and was wondering if anyone has experience with them or has heard good or bad reports of them before? I've never heard of them before, but they seem to have fair prices.

http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

One thing that bugs me is that a few of their product pictures look like pics from the St. George's Armoury site. Namely their besagews and bevor. I don't know if St. George is selling through them or what but I thought it was worth noting.

Looking forward to your responses. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a GDFB and Windlass type reseller. Fairly new at sales outside the UK, maybe?

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...p;t=132162

http://www.re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk/index.p...ation_id=4

Check out forae that cater to those groups, you might get some reviews.
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I'll try that.
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Vickers at StGeorge would not have sold them his items or allowed his pictures to be used and I am off to mail him now..........
www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Steven Davies

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Comment Retraced.

Last edited by Steven Davies on Mon 04 Apr, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All.

I have just spoken to Mark at St George armouries.

I wrote my first response before even talking to him. I was 100% sure of my facts I did not have to call him. He very proudly and diligently makes his own items and always has and you will not find anyone to say otherwise. I knew he would not supply his items to a reseller as he likes to keep control of his process from manufacture to selling. So I spoke up quickly.

I just saw the last post and called him immediately, as he is not a member of this forum (yet) I offered to speak up for him.

On that site under discussion there are a photo of a bevor, a helm and a sword that are his photos, of his products, made by him in his workshop. How they came to be used by this gentleman I cannot say but Mark suspects they were lifted from his site by the manufacturers and supplied along with the copies of his work to this site.

While we are on the subject the same thing happened to me last year and some Indian manufacturer was using a few of my pictures in their catalogue with unfortunately my mark visible, so I am a little sensitive to the issue.

I hope this has cleared up the issue of the source of the pictures and to state one last and categorical time. St George armouries does not buy in products, they are made in house by Mark.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can confirm what Leo just posted; I too emailed Mark today, and while the reply I got was not as detailed, the gist is the same. I can add to that I have ever only heard of Mark making his products himself, and I see no reason to doubt that he indeed does.

Johan Schubert Moen
Steven Davies

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just had a call from St George armouries and spoken to a lady who has informed me they are definately their pictures. In the meantime I will chase the people up who supplied our photos for these items and attempt to confirm copyright. I will be disabling the listings until I get verification on the image copyright. Fair play to you guys for speaking up.

Regards,

Steve
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve,
any chance you would name the supplier or post details of the products that are listed on your site for sale from them,
over the last couple of years,Mark has had some items purchased by what he thought were real customers,only to find their using his work as prototype's for reselling at a fraction of the cost and time it takes him to do the research and actuall hand work,
having stood next to him watching him raise a helmet,grind blade's,shape armour to fit specific measures etc,all his work is hand made as much as it can be,go visit,excellent bloke,
the guys great at what he does and already cheap,but whats the point in bothering,when he's at a ren fair seeing copies of his own work on other stalls at far less than he can make them,
and for the record,its not just your site,and its also not just Mark's work this is happening too,
Leo already mentioned his,Jake Cleland from Skye recently had the same with a knife,Rob from skye not too long ago refused a big offer after he sussed the buyer was out to do this,
i dont doubt Stateside alot of the bigger company wares are being lifted after one sale,
very short term outlook,overall,i'd say.
Steven Davies

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeh I think what has happened is the supplier has lifted the pictures, produced the item themselves and not changed the photos. I did ask the supplier about using the photos and they said it was all good. As regards naming the supplier I will not disclose it publically - I have informed St George about their presence.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Davies,

Your actions are honorable and admirable.

Regards,

Scott Hrouda

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Steven Davies

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks Scott - I have heard back from our supplier who have since told me that the pictures may well belong to St George Armoury as they believe a vendor had sent the pictures to the manufacturer so they could use them as a guide for production and it seems the Manufacturer has let them 'slip' into their catalogue collection.
I have emailed the supplier, informed them of the problem and they will be rectifying it within the next week. In the meantime I will inform St George Armoury and issue an apology.
Kind Regards,
Steve Davies
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Davies wrote:
Many thanks Scott - I have heard back from our supplier who have since told me that the pictures may well belong to St George Armoury as they believe a vendor had sent the pictures to the manufacturer so they could use them as a guide for production and it seems the Manufacturer has let them 'slip' into their catalogue collection.
I have emailed the supplier, informed them of the problem and they will be rectifying it within the next week. In the meantime I will inform St George Armoury and issue an apology.

While you are in contact with the vendor, please encourage them not just to consider intellectual property rights for the use of photography owned by others, but also in regards to the design of the work product itself. Please encourage them to use historical imagery, not other reproductions, as a source of inspiration for their items. Not only does this show respect for the efforts of others and a general expression of integrity, but will also produce a higher-quality work product. This is a crucial point that I hope is not lost in this topic.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll add weight to all the comments about Mark's great work that have been posted above. An excellent armourer and cutler who has made me many items over the years, including the copy of the HVIII 'silvered' harness visible on his site.

Well done to Steve for being honest, open, and quick to sort the issue out.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark asked if i could put up a reply for him ,
quote,

I got Jo to phone him and we said we wanted to buy the Bevor.He insited that he was selling the product in the photo and even that he makes them.
I know it would be better coming from me but there will be a delay while I wait to be registered on the forum.I'm seriously buried in administration and work,this has already lost me one evenings work
mark,

slightly different from what's mentioned,
i'l refrain from adding anything myself Mad
but will say thanks to the myArmoury team and members involved in sharing info like this, Cool
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh well,
Benefit of the doubt leave's the room,Sad
pictures two and three are taken diectly from Marks site,(pic one could be too,)
and to rub salt in the wounds.listing Marks retail price,to me insinuates they are of comparable quality etc,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...K:MEWAX:IT
avoiding the obvious auction discussion as there is yet an item made to sell,
the description implies you'll be getting whats pictured,how so when it's not even the same maker,
why even mention ST George Armoury ? plenty of other armourers in the UK,
and at Mark's cost,he's far from making much of a profit,etc,

Quote:
15th Century Italian Arm Vambrace

This set of arms is brand new and bidding starts at only £0.99. These arms retail for £300 on St George Armouries website so grab yourself a real bargain!
The arm are full re-enactment grade and more than adequate for use with The Wars Of The Roses Fed and also with The Medieval Siege Society.
The arms are constructed from steel, and are 1.2mm thick except for the elbow cop which is 1.8mm thick and re-enforced. The arms feature a vambrace with leather straps to lock the harness on and also feature a leather strip on top of the harness where it can be pointed on to an arming jack/padded jack. The arms offer very good articulation, and leave no gaps when fully bent. Also very strong double folded armour hinges,are a very authentic touch to finish off.

This item will be made to order once bidding has finished. Please send over your sizes when you win the bidding.

Remember to take your measurements over your clothes & padded jack please!

Contact Us
Please feel free to get in touch with us with any questions you may have by either messaging us through E y, dropping us an e-mail or giving us a call.

E-Mail - info@re-enactmentsupplies.co.uk

Phone Steve on - 07826928890

Steve,
Sort your stuff out chap,first time out,fair enough,this time laughable,Sad
if the works any good ask an independant here to review for you,no matter who makes it,and stop trying to profit off of established hard working innocent's,
actually not too hard to take a photo,
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thought this was worth a bump, just to remind people.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone have experience with this vendor?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic