Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ballock dirks, daggers, and kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Ballock dirks, daggers, and kit         Reply with quote

I've seen with considerable envy some of the DIY projects displayed here with regard to dirks, especially the ballock type. I see an exceptional set on Arms & Armory, ballock dirk along with knife and pricker that make me green with envy. However, with that set at about $650 and I'm still trying to get beyond my first sword purchase and celtic and/or viking kit, I'm trying to limit my piecemeal investments. Any clues as to another source of dirk/dagger and/or eating kit in the ballock sort for less on the investment side? Any help appreciated.....
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod's Stuff via. his English Cutler has 3 styles of ballock dagger with scabbards all under $200.00. Darkwood Armory also has some Knife and Dagger kits at around $35.00. The blades are all blanks that you would have to finish yourself and then you'd have to carve your own hilt. But if you have the time and inclination, $35 seems like a great deal.
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I'm currently in the process of making my first DIY dagger, and while it's very very far from perfect, it is easier than I expected to attain a decent quality (note: I have absolutely no experience in metalworking). So if you have some tools, notably an angle grinder and a Dremel (but you could also do it by hand, with lots of patience), you should try. It's an interesting experience and very rewarding.

I'll hopefully soon post a thread showing the whole process, but here's the basic idea: you start from an old file (because these are already tempered, so no need to do that yourself). You shape the blade, which is not as hard as it may sound. Then, to make the grip, well, you can find brass or steel in the appropriate basic form (sheet or cylindrical) for not that much, and wood is even cheaper.

I'm not saying you will get a quality reproduction on the first go, but, if you're into DIY, it's a blast, far funnier than spending money online Wink
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The english cutler is a very inexpensive way to get some very top notch stuff and unless you wanted to do a project, it would be my way to go. Ben potter's two budget lines may also be a way to go for a decent priced dagger as well if you don't find a fit for you at the english cutler.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions gentlemen - I think I'll be able to get something of good quality lined up for a reasonable price. Thanks for the tips.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a variant of Tod's English Cutler ballock dagger. Instead of an ebony grip and black scabbard, it has a beech grip and brown scabbard:

It's a great bang for the buck at £149.00.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ballock dirks, daggers, and kit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic