Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Historical accuracy of GDFB calf boots Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Historical accuracy of GDFB calf boots         Reply with quote

Hello,

I was considering getting this pair of GDFB calf boots to hold me over 'till Historic Enterprises starts carrying their ankle boots in my size again.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Calf+Boots

They would be for a WOTR billman kit. And while I know most soldiers of that period wore turnshoes there are a few images of them wearing calf boots, so I think I can get away with it.

I was just wondering how historically accurate they are? I really do try to only post weapons/armour related questions here but I didn't know where else to ask this.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Mid Calf Boots         Reply with quote

Hello Robert,

I think those look "ok" to say the least. My personal opinion would be to just save up for what you really want Wink Another $150 and you will get the pair you'll really want Wink Cool

As far as having something to hold you over till then you could always make your own Wink Im sure after a little searching you can come across someone that has a pattern posted Big Grin
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Happy

I would just buy the pair I really want but they don't currently have it in my size. Worried

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Toe shape is wrong; sole is wrong; too many modern elements put into this piece. It's a modern interpretation that gives a relatively historical look at "first glance" but that's about it.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan. I knew something looked "off" about it.

Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are looking for more historically accurate shoes try Dru Shoemaker at http://www.medievalshoes.com/
He in the US and does hand made lasted turn-sole shoes. His prices are not bad for what you get.

Mackenzie
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mackenzie. That guy has some nice looking shoes. I'll have to think about getting some.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Historical accuracy of GDFB calf boots
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic