Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > This sword good for WOTR? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: This sword good for WOTR?         Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if this sword sold on the Tried and True Armory site would be good for a War of the Roses kit. Normally I wouldn't ask something like this here but I guess I'm more of an armour guy than a sword guy. Blush I don't have too many pic's of swords, mostly armour but I think this sword looks 15th C. The site says it's 15th C but '1510' is also in the name so I just wanna make sure.

http://triedandtruearmory.com/econ/index.php?...duct_id=57

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but since it concerns a repro sword I thought it was best.

Thanks in advance for your replys and help on something I should really know myself. Happy

Attachment: 226.84 KB
[ Download ]

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1510 is an old Gus Trim sword model number. The 15 means 15th century, the 10's only meaning is to differentiate it from all the other ATrim 15th century swords.

That sword is a stripped-down, fairly nondescript looking type XVIII of the slender blade variety. ATrims are designed for performance over looks. It would pass without comment in the second half of the 15th century, except for the modern style pommel nut. It should be light, fast, and sharp - fine if you are not going to use it for reenactment combat.

Offhand I can't think of a 15th century singlehand blunt. If you need that kind of a sword, you might consider the unsharp Del Tin DT5150 for approximately the same price. http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DT5150 - It is heavier and not as handy as the 1510, but it does look very good.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roger-

As you mention, ATrim model numbers use the first two digits to define the century of a sword that inspires them. They aren't really geared at being historical recreations, so this really is just a rough guideline as the swords are all modeled to modern needs more that those from history.

Interestingly, the original method of creating the model numbers that Del Tin used was the two middle digits defined the century. Weird, huh?

So:

DT2121 = 12th century
DT5132 = 13th century
DT5130 = 13th century
DT5141 = 14th century
DT5141 = 14th century
DT5143 = 14th century
DT5143 = 14th century
DT2153 = 15th century (I like this one)
DT5157 = 15th century
DT2157 = 15th century
DT5159 = 15th century (I like this one)
DT5160 = 16th century
DT2171 = 17th century

etc.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

Thanks for clearing up about the '1510' roger. I'm not really looking for a blunt sword, I have 2 of those. I was interested in the 1510 because it was half the price of the Albion Burgundian which is the other single hand sword I was looking at.

I don't suppose it would be possible to fix the modern style pommel nut?

And wow nathan, I never would have figured that out if you hadn't posted that.

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > This sword good for WOTR?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic