Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Do-Not-Miss Sword Exhibtion of 2011! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Søren Niedziella

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: The Do-Not-Miss Sword Exhibtion of 2011!         Reply with quote

Start planning your vacation and make sure to visit Paris this summer. The Museé de Cluny (The French National Museum of the Middle Ages) will host a major sword exhibition starting late April. Albion is proud to supply swords to let the visitors "travel back in time" and feel the weight and balance of a real medieval sword in their own hands. Albion will also provide steel sparring swords for the demonstrations of historical swordmanship by “De Taille et d’Estoc” to take place at the museum during weekends.

The exhibition will be the premiere of the Albion Museum Line Cluny sword. The Albion Museum Line Cluny sword will give collectors world wide a chance to own an exact recreation of a beautiful late 15th Century long sword from the collection of the Musée de Cluny.
Some high-lights among the many swords of the exhibition are: The Sountaka Sword, The Sword of Svante Nilsson Sture and The Sword of Saint Maurice of Turin

From the official press release:
The Sword - Uses, Myths and Symbols
28 April – 26 September 2011
Musée de Cluny, Musée national du Moyen Âge

An exhibition organised by the Musée de Cluny, Musée national du Moyen Âge and the Réunion des musées nationaux

The sword is probably the object which most powerfully represents the Middle Ages. It is a weapon, a sign of power and justice and a ceremonial object. No other secular object from the time has aroused such interest and exerted such fascination.
The Sword. Uses, Myths and Symbols is the first exhibition on this theme. It brings together a hundred and twenty works: a collection of swords spanning the entire period from the fifth to the fifteenth century, including mythical items such as Joan of Arc's sword, as well as
manuscripts, paintings, gold and ivory work.

Technical Aspects
The sword is found in all civilisations that worked metal, from the copper age to the present day. The first section of the exhibition studies aspects of its production, through archaeological exhibits. Workshops and forges, for example, are evoked through the Gicelin sword, dated to the tenth and eleventh centuries, which bears the smith's name. Whatever its shape, a sword is immediately recognisable by its four parts: blade, guard, tang and hilt. Otherwise, they vary widely in type (dagger, falchion, Messer) and décor. The décor, whether plain or ornate and luxurious, gives clues to the social and artistic context.

Real Uses
The sword is primarily a weapon for fighting and killing enemies. Swordsmanship was an essential part of the education of knights and princes. An outstanding fighting manual in the German tradition, a manuscript from the late fifteenth century, sets out the teaching of the
great fencing masters, including Johann Lichtenauer. Just as precious is the Flos duellatorum by the Italian master Fiore dei Liberi, which covers the martial arts and fighting techniques.
Swords were also used in leisure activities such as fencing or hunting. Two rare survivors are on display: the sword of Philip the Fair, king of Castile and father of Charles V, which dates from the early sixteenth century, and René d’Anjou’s extraordinary hunting rapier.
In a more unexpected approach, the exhibition looks at female uses of swords through the representation of suicide or a sword found in a female tomb.

Symbolic Uses
Many symbolic meanings gravitate around these direct uses. The sword illustrated the royal prerogative in law and was used to mete out justice. It played a part in fundamental rituals such as knighting and coronation. It illustrated a function but could also symbolise a nation. One of the highlights of the exhibition is a collection of “national” swords. These
items, some on loan for the first time, incarnate an entire country through reference to one of its heroes. For example, the sword of Svante Nilsson Sture, the Swedish regent around 1500 who fought for Sweden's independence, or Charlemagne’s famous sword, Joyous. The history of Joyous, as told in the Chanson de Roland, sums up the sword’s many different dimensions.
Objects and weapons connected with high functions belong in this group. For example, the sword of the connétable, commander in chief of the French armies, or the pontifical rapier, a prestigious gift that medieval popes bestowed on someone each year as a particular honour.

The Myth
More than any other object, the sword has been personified and endowed with magical properties and some have become mythical, particularly in literature and art. They have names, like the famous Durandal and Excalibur. They are attributed with extraordinary powers, can fly, break rocks or make their owner invincible. They flirt with magic and are invoked
like gods. The swords of saints (St Comus and St Damian, St Maurice, St George) or heroes belong to this category. This idealisation continued well beyond the medieval era, through the Tuaregs’ swords in the nineteenth century to the modern sword of the academician Jean-Pierre Mahé.

Søren Niedziella
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The exhibition will be the premiere of the Albion Museum Line Cluny sword. The Albion Museum Line Cluny sword will give collectors world wide a chance to own an exact recreation of a beautiful late 15th Century long sword from the collection of the Musée de Cluny.

A new Museum Line Sword!

Please, could you show us some photographs?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

A new Museum Line Sword!

Please, could you show us some photographs?

They've stated the exhibit will be the premiere (aka first showing); I'd expect public photos would come out after the exhibit has opened. Let's please try to be patient and let the maker do their publicity as they've laid out.

As for me, I'm very excited to hear of this and can't wait for a full report on the exhibit. Kudos to everyone involved. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any guesses at least to which longsword it may be? I have seen images of one which from memory had a recurved guard and a concave disk pommel similar to the pommel of the Albion Machiavelli.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can tell you that it's going to be an XVa, and that it's going to be a bit different from the ones currently offered by Albion. It's expected to be particularly popular with people in the WMA community.
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My goodness this is exciting! I'll be in London during this period-- I think I'll start putting away some money for train tickets to France one for one of the weekends.

WOW.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm hoping it's this one....
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=cluny

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, that was the one I was thinking of too.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bump for this spectacular opportunity. Big Grin
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be there. Blush Wink
PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Any guesses at least to which longsword it may be? I have seen images of one which from memory had a recurved guard and a concave disk pommel similar to the pommel of the Albion Machiavelli.

There is only one Cluny longsword that haunts us all. Exclamation

Actually there is this one other sword attributed to the Cluny that huants me but its not a longsword.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm hoping it's this one....
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=cluny

It almost has to be that one, but oddly enough, I find myself hoping that its not. The fact that you can only get that one going custom/semi-custom today, and the thought that if Albion/Peter makes a copy it will almost certainly be better than anything else out there since they will get access to the original as nobody else probably even can, and the certainty that they will catch subtle and amazing details that eveyone else will not even have noticed in all the photos of the original until the reproduction is out...well it just makes me want to go d'oh!

Especially since the value of any custom reproduction of that sword will fall through the floor once a high quality reproduction is easily available. Maybe I'll just hope its a Museum Line! Eek! Big Grin Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...and lo ! a Museum Line it was. Wink

More info about this exhibit here :
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=223777#223777

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Do-Not-Miss Sword Exhibtion of 2011!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic