Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Messer Fighting from the Glasgow FechtbuchProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Messer Fighting from the Glasgow Fechtbuch         Reply with quote

I recently downloaded the video Messer Fighting from the Glasgow Fechtbuch from Freelance Academy Press (www.freelanceacademypress.com). This little gem is a two-for-one deal in that it not only is a video demonstrating messer techniques by Christian Tobler, but also comes with Christian Tobler's English translation of the messer section of the 1508 Glasgow Fechtbuch.

I have worked with the messer section of this treatise before, and the most notable thing about it is it's simplicity. Christian himself has often called it "messer for dummies" in that it covers simple but effective defenses against some of the most common attacks, and is complete enough to give a person a reasonable overview for fighting with the weapon. If you have never worked with this material, the download is more than worth the $8.99 for the PDF translation alone. Christian's translation skills in particular are quite excellent in making this very easy to read and understand.

The video is remarkably well done. It has a nice professional feel to it, with both well done narration as well as a professional sounding medieval soundtrack from the Paul Butler Consort. It goes through every play, showing Christian's interpretation of each action. The actions are shown very clearly, with narration reading the actual text, followed by narration explaining the interpretation while you watch it in action. One of the faults I often see in martial arts videos is where the author feels the need to over explain something for several minutes before actually showing it, and this video never comes close to that pitfall. If you've never worked with the material before, this is an excellent way to see how the actions are potentially done. If you have worked with the material, it is good to see how Christian physically interprets the text so that you can compare it to your own methods. For myself, I've found that Christian and I are looking at things in a very similar light, but he also had elements in his interpretation that I had not even thought of, which only goes to show how invaluable it is for us as modern recreationists of these arts to see how others are reconstructing the texts.

At $8.99, you really can't go wrong with this. It's cheap and it's a simple download away. It also has a high value for anyone who can't read the original German text of the Glasgow fechtbuch, making it a must have for that alone.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: My two cents         Reply with quote

I would concur whole-heartedly with Bill's review. This is a great deal for a very good video and the translation. It is accessible and makes for a very solid set of skills one can use with messer and single handed sword. In studying the martial arts it is often the basic and foundational skills that are used most often. If these are mastered one has gone a long way to being a competent fighter. In this package you get such skills and a very good representation of them.

Our practice group has been working through this material and it is quite fun!

Best
Craig
Christopher Valli
Industry Professional

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again for the review Bill Big Grin

I very much enjoyed working on this project and we are planning on producing a few more over the next year. If people are really into this style of short downloadable videos, we'll definitely push for more.

Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
www.speakingwindowproductions.com
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Valli wrote:
Thanks again for the review Bill Big Grin

I very much enjoyed working on this project and we are planning on producing a few more over the next year. If people are really into this style of short downloadable videos, we'll definitely push for more.

At some point you might offer a collection of these on DVD for those preferring this media option and certainly frames ( pics ) from videos could be used to illustrate future books or one could buy a book with more extensive information and have a DVD come with the book inside the front or back cover ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 09 Mar, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean!

The first idea is something we already have in mind.

Unfortunately the second one isn't workable: the resolution of a still image drawn from video is far too low in quality as to be print-worthy.

Take care,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hi Jean!

The first idea is something we already have in mind.

Unfortunately the second one isn't workable: the resolution of a still image drawn from video is far too low in quality as to be print-worthy.

Take care,

Christian

Well you can use captured video pics to make up a rough storyboard of the images you would need to re-shoot as still pictures at high resolution and have them available to guide the photo shoot ..... just a suggestion. Wink Cool

Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well after hearing you guys say it was alright i dove right in and got it.

it is great! and you have to release more of these... will be looking into the new dvd as well

thanks for the recommendation and that you for creating this

Mick
Christopher Valli
Industry Professional

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mick Jarvis wrote:
well after hearing you guys say it was alright i dove right in and got it.

it is great! and you have to release more of these... will be looking into the new dvd as well

thanks for the recommendation and that you for creating this

Mick

Thanks! We'll actually be filming the last major section of the next DVD tomorrow. Don't have a release date, but things are coming together nicely... so later this year Big Grin Since I'm hearing that people really do enjoy the download videos, I'll make sure to push to get into production on those.

Jean- Its definitely part of the plan to create some DVD collection of the downloadable videos but it won't be until we have at least five or six to make it worth a full DVD. Or you can go get an iphone Wink

Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
www.speakingwindowproductions.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Valli wrote:
[
Jean- Its definitely part of the plan to create some DVD collection of the downloadable videos but it won't be until we have at least five or six to make it worth a full DVD. Or you can go get an iphone Wink

At the rate you are going this might not take that long and I'm a patient guy + I will probably be buying everything else you guys
publish on paper or on DVD. Wink

Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Valli wrote:
Thanks! We'll actually be filming the last major section of the next DVD tomorrow. Don't have a release date, but things are coming together nicely... so later this year Big Grin Since I'm hearing that people really do enjoy the download videos, I'll make sure to push to get into production on those.

good stuff... when you release the next volume i will be ordering it and volume 1. postage is a killer to down here in Australia!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Messer Fighting from the Glasgow FechtbuchProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic