Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanging a basket hilt sword on a wall Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Faleer

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Hanging a basket hilt sword on a wall         Reply with quote

I recently received a Paul Chen / Hanwei Scottish basket hilt broadsword as a gift and I would like to hang it vertically (hilt up) on my office wall, next to a Grant pattern targe shield that I bought in 1974 from Inverness targe-maker James McConnell. I have mulled over a few ways to do this securely, including a guitar hanger (not really an option), one of the large sword magnets that has recently come on the market (our IT people are not wild about that!) and other things of that sort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and by the way, metal fabrication is not my strong suit--so please, nothing involving welding or general blacksmithing). Thanks!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robert

I use the top half of the one shown below. It has enough of an offset for me to hang an A&A German Bastard with the large side rings. These come in silver tone as well or could be painted any color. If the offset is not enough, it could be mounted on blocks as thick as needed but I think it will clear /offer enough for most baskets. I had used the pair for a couple of diffrent swords before getting the GBS but it cradles the big ball pommel of that one quite nicely.

Not quickly found in stock on some sites but I did get a quick hit for Knight's Edge through Amazon
Two Piece Vertical Large Sword hanger set

Denix and iirc od26 od27 for the model number

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Sat 05 Mar, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't over-think or over-engineer stuff. I've used a picture hook and just hook the hilt onto it. I put some fabric on it so as not to have metal-on-metal. Done deal.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ditto. Works just fine. Just ask the 25 or so basket hilts hanging on the wall in my office!
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Me too. Picture hooks usually work just fine. If your basket doesn't allow vertical hanging easily, then simply use a piece of leather, plastic or cloth cord, tie it through the desired portion of the basket, then loop it on the picture hook. I have my Mad Piper basket hilts suspended on an angle, crossed in pairs (such as in this picture:
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Robert Faleer

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I think you are right, simple is better. Glen, I've also looked at the sword hanger that you recommended and I will keep it in mind.

I had also thought about attaching a slotted box frame to the back of my targe (ala the Mad Piper) so that the sword could be run diagonally behind the shield with the requisite basket clearance from the wall. Maybe eventually, but I don't know if I like the idea of drilling screw holes into the back of the shield. I think I'll stick with simple! Again, many thanks!
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher used to make these neat little hooks that were extremely simple in design. You won't see them in the picture below, but you'll see how they can be used.
Sadly, he doesn't make them anymore. However, Hanwei makes a somewhat similar, if not as simple, hook, seen here at Kult of Athena (but available from other vendors as well):
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ord+Hanger

You can use it for hanging straight-bladed swords with simple hilts, and for baskets, just hang the sword by the basket, using the... hanging dealies (a little technical lingo there)... and it works great for me. Okay, I'm not good at describing it, but hopefully the picture below will kind-of illustrate how it's done (with the older CF hooks as mentioned above, but the principle is the same with the Hanwei hook):

Attachment: 96.08 KB
[ Download ]

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Robert Faleer

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks David. I actually have one of those Hanwei-type hangers floating around the house somewhere (we moved a year and a half ago and lots of packed up stuff has yet to be unpacked, so hopefully I will run across the little varmint). If nothing else, the next time I visit the Chicago area, I'll probably drop by Kult of Athena to see what they've got--my brother lives within a 15 minute drive of their store.

Thanks also for attaching the photo of the your basket hilts. Cheers!

Spes potentior viribus.

Y Ddraig Goch ddyry Cychwyn.
Karl Schlesien

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Robert

I use the top half of the one shown below. It has enough of an offset for me to hang an A&A German Bastard with the large side rings. These come in silver tone as well or could be painted any color. If the offset is not enough, it could be mounted on blocks as thick as needed but I think it will clear /offer enough for most baskets. I had used the pair for a couple of diffrent swords before getting the GBS but it cradles the big ball pommel of that one quite nicely.

Not quickly found in stock on some sites but I did get a quick hit for Knight's Edge through Amazon

Cheers

GC

You can Google images the "bathroom cup holder" or the 'cup holder" and look the same items at less the price. One must keep the open minds.
Karl Schlesien

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the photo of the swords is Rob Roy MacGregor's sword. In case someone is interested to know.

http://www.keeptothecode.com/bboard/viewtopic...11ae5b78ad
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Schlesien wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Robert

Cheers

GC

You can Google images the "bathroom cup holder" or the 'cup holder" and look the same items at less the price. One must keep the open minds.

To be honest, aside from quite a few in a cane stand, a couple of dozen here either perch on unpadded sheet rock screws or hang from simple loops of string. Then there is the Rubbermaid long pole tool holder that I take out for public gatherings. The side rings of the A&A GBS could certainly just perch via the rings on screws as well. Keep weight in mind if looking at something made out of plastic. The GBS with scabbard is close to or more than five pounds. A full plastic 16oz cup is just more than a pound.

Cheers

GC

]
Christopher E.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By-the-sword.com has these cool magnets (http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Sword_Hangers.html) that I like to mount to a couple of wooden plaques to build up the thickness. I currently have a 3-ring rapier and a basket hilted broadsword displayed in this fashion. The thing I like the most is that they create a very clean and unobstructed display look. Here are a couple of pics that show the idea. The first shows my rapier on the far side and an Albion soverign I used to own. I paint the plaques black, cover the magents with black felt and screw in a solid closed loop hook so I can use some airplane cable and small lock to lock the swords to the plaques that are attached to the wall...won't stop the determined thief but prevents casual toying with buy those who don't ask permission.

Robert Faleer

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone for all the very helpful suggestions. And Chrisopher E., I like what you've done with magnets--a great display!
Spes potentior viribus.

Y Ddraig Goch ddyry Cychwyn.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanging a basket hilt sword on a wall
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic