Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suspending axes and maces from belts? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Suspending axes and maces from belts?         Reply with quote

Hello,

A Sword or dagger hanging from a belt in its scabbard is in itself an iconic image of medieval times, but what about hand axes and maces? Certainly their wielders could sometimes do well to suspend those weapons from their belts to keep their hands free, but do we know how they did that, or if they even actually did do it? I imagine that carrying a spiked mace or axe anywhere near your body would be a risk of injuring yourself in case of a fall or tumble. Perhaps they were instead hung on the side of one's steed or in the hands of a squire?

Any enlightenment on this issue would be interesting. I've a fanciful horseman's axe that I ordered from Arms & Armor and I'd love to wear it in my belt while donning a period suit. Happy

Thanks,
Emil Andersson
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Mace Axe Suspension         Reply with quote

Hi,

I have seen quite a few single handed warhammers and horseman's axes with an intergral belt clip on one side of the handle at the end closest to the hammer/axe head. I have not seen many reproductions incorporating this feature however.

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Axes, batons and so on are usually stuffed under a belt, and worn diagonaly on the back or right hip. This is the most convenient way to carry them around, as it keeps them from gangling around the legs. Weapons up to 1m length can be carried this way, though they tend to snag in doorways and crowds.
"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Axes, batons and so on are usually stuffed under a belt, and worn diagonaly on the back or right hip. This is the most convenient way to carry them around, as it keeps them from gangling around the legs. Weapons up to 1m length can be carried this way, though they tend to snag in doorways and crowds.

That has been my experience as well, especially with axes. Haven't carried a mace around though...but I think with thick clothing or in armor it wouldn't be a problem carried around in this way.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

For maces and blunt axes I absolutely agree, just stick them under the belt. For sharp axes I tend to chafe and even cut my clothing or myself unless I have a stiff leather loop (as seen in my avatar) so it doesn't ride around and also edge covering.

Has anyone exampels from art depictions of this? I'd be thrilled to see how they did it historically.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suspending axes and maces from belts?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic