Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > darksword gothic two handed sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: darksword gothic two handed sword         Reply with quote

Happy hello all. has anyone owned any blades from darksword armory? i am interested in the gothic two hander but i havent seen any reviews about it or any other of there swords. im not looking for a cutter, more of something for pair drills and freeplay. if any of you can help me that would be cool!! thanks. Theres a picture of this sword. let me know what you all think.thanks

Attachment: 40.93 KB
1332_blade.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm wondering why they call it a Gothic Two-hander. It doesn't look Gothic and it doesn't look to be a two-hander. I'd have to see the dimensions to qualify that last statement, but the form/proportions don't generally follow any known two-handers that I've seen.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. The hilt of this sword bears a strong resemblance to Albion's Regent.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've tried to get some Darksword Armory pieces as review samples, and they've even contacted me directly to offer some. But I never get a response to my messages or hear back after I respond to their initial contacts. It's very strange. I'd very much like to fill out our hands-on review section with samples from this price point. Maybe I'll try again.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've had some bad experiences with Darksword. Some people lately have been saying that they're actually good for the price, but I'll be honest, I haven't exactly put a whole lot of faith in some of the people who've said that.

But I will admit my experiences were a couple years ago. I bought an axe off of E-bay. Got it for $20, so I wasn't expecting much from this "fully functional, battle ready" piece. Took them months on unaswered angry e-mails to get it to me. Every once and a while they'd respond with, "We'll ship it soon." Had they been upfront in the auction, I may not have been so angry.

So the axe arrives, and it's a cheapo piece of junk on a 1/2" dowel rod. Again, I paid $20, so I can't ask for much, but considering all they say about their weapons being suitable for reenactment, I did expect it to at least have a reasonable haft. The axe dented when I bumped it against a pine table.

But I've seen a couple of their swords, which were poorly fitted, badly balance, and all around just not well made. They were worse than the Phillipine line of CAS Iberia swords, which I consider decorator swords. Their ridiculous marketing hype doesn't exactly help their image in my eyes, either.

To make their customer relations image worse, some guy on SFI a while back started posting, representing them. He got very angry that people like me dared to say anything negative about their product. I got some PM from him that I won't go into, but he had the nerve to say I didn't really have a Darksword product, but instead it was from one of three companies that had similar names. I won't say exactly what he said, but suffice it to say, I did NOT have an axe from one of the companies he listed, because if I did I would have actually been HAPPY with the product.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've tried to get some Darksword Armory pieces as review samples, and they've even contacted me directly to offer some. But I never get a response to my messages or hear back after I respond to their initial contacts. It's very strange. I'd very much like to fill out our hands-on review section with samples from this price point. Maybe I'll try again.

I think the readers would really benefit from formal reviews of things from Darksword, Last Legend, Valiant Armoury, etc.

It'd be fun to check them out.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say, in Darksword's defense, that this "Gothic two hander" does look pretty decent aesthetically... from the picture.

Of course I also think it's a rip off of Albion, as Darksword seems to "borrow" a lot of designs from other makers.
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems to be darksword's latest trend to rip albion pieces off (that aint the first) and on axeforum we invited the smith who makes them regretedly...he was rude in manner and when you asked him any questions he avoided them. Also Scott one of the mods bought an axe recently to see how good they were, kind of a review for us folk, and his review wasnt a good one...in fact the review of DS product made me wonder how this guy stays in business.

Oh and it appears his been selling MRL fakes too (of their viking axe's), its not fully confirmed but Jesse Zinn on Axeforum made a well detailed post regarding this...

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pommel looks OK; the rest looks rather shoddy. Don't expect too much from it.
My sword site
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Interesting. The hilt of this sword bears a strong resemblance to Albion's Regent.

Like a 10 $ watch sold on the bazaar in Istanbul resembles a Rolex Wink
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Here's a review...         Reply with quote

I don't own any of Darksword's products myself, but my instructor does. Here's the link to a review of one of his latest pieces.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37423

cheers!

Patrick
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you should save your money.

www.darksword-armory.com

The site looks like a loose copy of Arms&Armor. The weapon descriptions and FAQ sound similar. In the FAQ there is a question "Can you ship to Australia?" on A&A's site it is phrased "Can you ship to Finland?" Also notice the red cloth background for the photos.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a review...         Reply with quote

Patrick Jones wrote:
I don't own any of Darksword's products myself, but my instructor does. Here's the link to a review of one of his latest pieces.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37423

cheers!

Patrick

Very Interesting,

The tone of the discussion that patrick pointed to is very different from the one here. According to the review this was one of the greatest swords ever made (or close)?!?!??!?!

4.5+ lb for a single hander?!?!?!?! Yes there are few examples that Oakeshott talks about of similar weight, but they are still larger swords (one of these had ~40" blade length). My expectation is that ONLY a skilled and exprerienced smith can make a very heavy sword that feels lively and natural in the hand. The Darkwood smiths do not seem to fall in that category.

I would not get too exited bout Darkwood armoury........not anytime soon.

Cheers,

Alexi
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if they've made improvements, then that's good. I must admit I still need more than one good review to convince me, though, but I'm glade Jordan's seems decent.
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if they adressed the issue of their toothpick thick tangs?

Or ther poor tempering?

Or poorly ground fullers?

Or poor customer service question answering?

Or have given up their titanium vanadium steel marketing?

Or.... you see where I am going with this. One sword that grabbed my attention was their Saxon sword, a more rounded peetersen type H. It looks nice, but I fear it will be a poorly tempered boat anchor.

I had their "Medieval Battle sword" once. Quoted weight was 2 pounds 3 ounces. when I git it, it must have weighed 3 to 3.5 pounds. Their response? Well, they are hand made so weights will vary. Usually not by almost double the weight though!!

I am still convinced they get their blades from India. Too many similarities between their swords and the India knockoff companies.

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It get's worse:

http://www.darksword-armory.com/armor.html

Check out the pig-faced bascinet.....is it the lighting or are there 1 1/2" gaps where the visor meets the skull?

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
It get's worse:

http://www.darksword-armory.com/armor.html

Check out the pig-faced bascinet.....is it the lighting or are there 1 1/2" gaps where the visor meets the skull?

I think it is the lighting Big Grin

Alexi
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Lloyd Clark wrote:

I don't. I loaded it in Photoshop and opened it up, tonally, to check it out and I think it's actually a big gap.

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:
Lloyd Clark wrote:

I don't. I loaded it in Photoshop and opened it up, tonally, to check it out and I think it's actually a big gap.

I think the joke did not come through. Sorry.

Alexi
David McElrea

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It's part of the Generation II collection at DarkswordIt's part of the Generation II collection at Darksword

The "Generation II" collection... is it just me, or does that designation ring any bells for anyone? It's about as close as you could get to "Next Generation" without outright plagiarising.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > darksword gothic two handed sword
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: