Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Book on Scottish Targes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike W Grant

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Book on Scottish Targes         Reply with quote

Hi All

i think this is posted in the correct place! Does anyone know of any good books detailing the history and make-up of the Scottish Targe, including the victorian copies/replicas!?

Cheers Mike
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Book on Scottish Targes         Reply with quote

Mike W Grant wrote:
Hi All

i think this is posted in the correct place! Does anyone know of any good books detailing the history and make-up of the Scottish Targe, including the victorian copies/replicas!?

Cheers Mike

Hello again Mike...

The only work that I know which is dedicated to targes is Highland Targets and Shields by James Drummond. This book was published in 1873 and is long out-of-print. However, it is available on CD ROM from Unicorn, Ltd., here in the US. It is paired with Drummond's more general work, Ancient Scottish Weapons. Their web site is www.scotpress.com. The illustrations on the CD are very clear and, while I have not done so, I suspect that printing them would result in decent hard copies. I am sure Rennie and Vickie will be glad to send you a copy if you email them.

If there is a modern book on targes I hope someone will fill us in. Also, if you will check the archives of this forum you will find a few threads on the subject.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mike W Grant

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin

Thanks again! OK I just ordered this via print and demand, would rather pay £10 than print out 130 pages it would cost me more in printer ink! Big Grin

Its surprising somone hasn't used his work to write a more up to date book! I guess there is little demand for it!?

Mike
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike W Grant wrote:
Lin

Its surprising somone hasn't used his work to write a more up to date book! I guess there is little demand for it!?

Mike

My guess on that is there is an insufficient variety of extant targes to make it worthwhile. I do wish that someone would write a book on targes with more illustrations in color.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mike W Grant

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think somone will come out with one at some point, just needs a bit of research and I know the Americans will buy it, they all want to be scottish...LOL Eek!
Yes thats me in the picture and my beautiful Danish "Wife To Be"! Scotland + Denmark = Warrior Nation

"Stand Fast Creag Eileachaidh"
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know, The Swords and the Sorrows has the most color pictures of 17th and 18th C targes extant.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to cut into Scotpress.com' s sales but they are both public domain items. The University of California digitized the former title years ago. http://www.archive.org/details/highlandtargetso00drumrich

The second has not yet been archived from what I can find.
Ed McV

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is another book with 4 targes, one from the Queen's collection. "Highland Dress, Arms and Ornament" by Lord Archibald Campbell, first published in 1899 but reprinted in 1969.Also interesting sections on basket hilted broadswords.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Not to cut into Scotpress.com' s sales but they are both public domain items. The University of California digitized the former title years ago. http://www.archive.org/details/highlandtargetso00drumrich

I hadn't known that before... thanks, Kel!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:

I looked at the UC version online. The advantage for the Scotpress version is larger page size and less in the way of menus. Scotpress did high quality scans of their original copy to put out the CD-ROM version.

Lin Robinson

Mike W Grant

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone know how to download from the http://www.archive.org/details/highlandtargetso00drumrich site!"?

Thanks for the replies - looks like some reading is required!

Another question: how is the embossing done, as I've read several quotes on both embossing and carving. I understand the carving but embossing is difficult, would they have made up several moulds and then embossed into the leather, how did they manage to get the pressure to bite into the leather!?

Yes thats me in the picture and my beautiful Danish "Wife To Be"! Scotland + Denmark = Warrior Nation

"Stand Fast Creag Eileachaidh"
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike,

This page will list all file formats available:
http://ia700200.us.archive.org/14/items/highl...0drumrich/

If you want PDF, which is probably the most convenient choice, just click this link:
http://ia700200.us.archive.org/14/items/highl...umrich.pdf

Cheers,

Simon

PS : thanks Kel, I suspected it might be available online somewhere and even did try Archive.org (wonderful site) but I guess my Google-fu failed me big time. Blush

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Book on Scottish Targes
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic