Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Frankish ""plate"" armor" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: "Frankish ""plate"" armor"         Reply with quote

Well after seeing Mr. MacDonald's pictures of Peter Johnson's "proto type" for the Viceroy, Squire and Regent and another posting of the new Hersir I need to drown my sorrows somehow!!! You guys are killing me here. All I need now is a bunch of emails of somebody's matched pair of Brescias.

I have a question.

Maile - plate - lamellar - scale. The debate goes on. However, on some sites/forums I have seen where scale, lamellar etc, is not allowed in 600 - 900 time frame, particularly in the Nordic, pictsh, etc realms. [I know Picts went into battle naked] Well....... "They" did not use butted mail either!!!! [least that I am aware of] So........

In H. W. Koch's book "Medieval Warfare" dated1978 he mentions the following on page 29:

"In the sixth century one bishop among the Franks was chided because when riding into battle he wore armor plate across his chest instead of the sign of the heavenly cross. By the middle of the seventh century, however breast plates had come into general use among the Franks."

Kock does not mention his source. Figures. Does anyone have a clue as to what he is talking about? He discusses mail and lorica, scale etc in detail in other places of his book, so I would assume that he is being specific, particularly as he uses the same adjective twice in the same paragraph. Assuming I don't get myself in trouble for assuming!!!!

Any help out there? I know the Vikings and others imported sword blanks into the North from Frankish states so.........

What is he talking about?

Thanks guys, and gals!

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have another source, just ran across it the other day and had to "go get" the URL.

http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/ARTICLES/coupland.htm

Out of the University of CA. So........ some rigor is involved in the work since it is peer reviewed. I know this has been "hashed over" in some forums. I do not recall however these point specific sources being listed. And some claim it is all in the interpretation, but....

Let me know what you folks come up with.

Thanks.

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perry L. Goss wrote:
Have another source, just ran across it the other day and had to "go get" the URL.

http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/ARTICLES/coupland.htm

Out of the University of CA. So........ some rigor is involved in the work since it is peer reviewed. I know this has been "hashed over" in some forums. I do not recall however these point specific sources being listed. And some claim it is all in the interpretation, but....

Let me know what you folks come up with.

Thanks.

That was a pretty good article. Thanks!!!!

And there was more than "some" rigor involved Laughing Out Loud This is the kind of literature that I take seriously. (Just a personal/ professional inclination). I do have to complain about the untranslated latin though.............

Alexi
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anytime Alexi!

Let me know if you come up with anything else. I have sent this to a well known armourer for this person's evaluation of the material. They have extensive exposure to European museums etc., so will be interested in what this person also has to say.

Thanks.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Frankish ""plate"" armor"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic