Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Germanic Shield Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: The Germanic Shield         Reply with quote

The Germanic shield is athe most important weapon for the defense. Espacially with the early Germanic before the migration period the shield was the only defense of a Germanic warrior.
And as I already mansion the shield as a weapon, it is acceptable that the shield also was used as a weapon.. Assumble is that the shield must have been a very important attribute of the Germanic warrior's equipment.

When we look at shield find in the Germanic lands, we can pretty much confirm this by some bog finds. Like the Hjortspring bog, where about 169 spears have been found and like 6 swords, there were also found around 150 shields.

Most of the times there were only found fragments of shields and there umbo's. But some shield are pretty much intact. From the Hjortspring bog some shields have an oval shape, measuring 88 by 50 cm. More common were the retangled shields... measuring 66 by 30 cm.
Some shiels were constructed by several pieces of wood. Some were actually made from one piece of wood including the umbo. It seems to be that many umbo's were actually made from wood (curious if other people are familiair with this info and replica's?). And very explicit is the fact that there have been found no metal at all which could have covoured the shields. Many of the umbo's do very much look like the La-Tene oval umbo's.

Have the shields been painted in beautifull colourers and the many different warcolours like the Romans mentioned? A shield Skanderborg seams to confirm that... An oval shield just like the Hjortspring shield but with traces of painting on it.
Wondering if any other people have more information about the colourings, historical info on that and some replica's?

Allthough, the shields have been used as the commen protection of the Germanic warrior far up the 4th century AD.

As I have this information, Germanic shield are pretty much like the Celtic shields we all know.. I am curious for info about shapes, colours, paintings of shields.. Feel free to post your information about Germanic shields too! Also historical fact and info and feel free to post your replica's!

Wonder if there's gonna be some nice info here!

'The cruels and threachery of civilization, that is barbaric!', said the free Frisian to his son..
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: The Germanic Shield         Reply with quote

I see what you mean. The illustrations below show different kinds of shields used by Germanic tribes in ancient times.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have always wondered where the shield at the bottom pic came from... I se it with different Germanic re-enacters... But on what historical evidence is it based? Does anybody know about that?
'The cruels and threachery of civilization, that is barbaric!', said the free Frisian to his son..
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Germanic shields         Reply with quote

Of the top of my head these can be found within Roman art depicting the enemies of Rome, although I'm also sure the metal edging of the shield type on the bottom depiction have also be found.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Adam Oswalt

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In addition to the edging found, some miniature shields with a hexagonal shape have also been found in Przeworsk culture burials of women and children. See http://bartoszkontny.pradzieje.pl/strony_pl/reconstruction_of.pdf for example.

Adam
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: germanic shield         Reply with quote

Hi Adam

Thank you for the link, I had been after this particular paper for a while and may I say welcome to the forum.

regards
Dave

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Germanic shields are being discussed on several different boards at the moment! Here's the thread from Roman Army Talk, in case it is helpful:

http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php?opti...;Itemid=40

I was sure there was one on the Armour Archive, too, but can't find it. I'll put a link to this thread on RAT, though. Might as well pool our knowledge!

Excellent knowledge, by the way, Thanks everyone!

Matthew
Adam Oswalt

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem, Dave. Hope it's useful. I haven't had a chance to read the piece thoroughly, but it looks like there's a lot of good information in there. Oh, thanks for the welcome.

Adam
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The shields like Hjortspring style (long quadrangled shields), Celtic style shields (egg-shaped/oval shields) and the sharp-edged Germanic shields like the picture of the second Germanic warrior posted above.. These kind of shield are really tipical and seemto be widely used with Germanic tribes..

During the migration period we see the round shield like found at Illerup.. But how long where the Germanic shields I mentioned above used by the Germanics during the migration period? Does anybody know that?

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Oswalt wrote:
In addition to the edging found, some miniature shields with a hexagonal shape have also been found in Przeworsk culture burials of women and children. See http://bartoszkontny.pradzieje.pl/strony_pl/reconstruction_of.pdf for example.

Adam

Thanks a lot for the link!

Maybe a bit off-topic, but the sword on the top right of page 124 (fig. 10) is really interesting. Short, double edged (?) but with a strange asymmetrical leaf shape...

Does anyone have an overview of the phases (A1 to C2-D) mentioned in the article?
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread is very interesting!

Nothing much to add, but here is a homemade shield, just for your entertainment!
It's rather on the smaller side, as I wanted to try a light, fast shield, which could be used more on the offensive, than a heavier shield could.
Wooden umbo, with thick leather over the middle.
It's just for use, hence not that symetrical or anything!
Grip is vertical.

Richard.

Attachment: 88.77 KB
IMG_0158.JPG

Magin Hard

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe I also made a post on this on Kelticos Wink

Talking about the small shields... The smallest Hjortspring shield that has been found is also a very nice light and small shield. I made it for myself... wood only, wooden umbo and a simple painting... Love the small shields

Is the shield you mase also based on findings?

Richard Hare

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fancy meeting you here, old chap!

This shield and the knife shown with it, are just "made out of my head" as you might say.............rather than being historical reconstructions. More to test usefulness, than trying to be too exact.
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What type of shield were common with the Germanics during the Migatrions period beside beside the upcomming round shield?
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Magin Hard wrote:
What type of shield were common with the Germanics during the Migatrions period beside beside the upcomming round shield?

As far as I know, the round shield with iron boss has taken over by 400 A.D.
Magin Hard

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... Is it true?

how about these kind a shields:

And I have seen the oval shields that look like the earlier Celtic shields on pictures during the migration period. The Romans also used oval shields by that time if I am right? Wondering if anybody can confirm this and has some info about that..

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure how late the hexagonal or oval styles were used, but pretty sure the hexagonal ones are from Roman sculptures like Trajan's Column. So that's late first or early second century. Unless you can find pictoral evidence from c. 400 AD or later, I'd stick with round shields for Migration era. Even the Romans were using round or nearly round oval shields by then.

Matthew
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Germanic shields         Reply with quote

Hi Magin

The image of the warrior that you posted is one taken from a special edition of Ancient Warfare magazine and depicts a germanic warrior of the 1st century A.D so not strictly what is known as the Migration Period.

But if your are interested in this type of shield and similair I would suggest getting a copy of this title
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Das-Heer-Arminius-nac...amp;sr=1-1

best
Dave

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Germanic Shield
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic