Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Forged In Time Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Benjamin Rial

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Forged In Time         Reply with quote

I goofed and originally posted this in the off-topic forum and I understand this is the correct place. It is in answer to the thread "Forged In Time" in the off-topic forum.

Wow, you guys were talking about me. Cool. I just found this thread. I will do my best to address your questions.
A little bit about me, I have been blacksmithing for almost 18 years and officially in business for 10. I have only been working at this full time for the past year. Despite having been a smith for quite a while, I haven't spent much time getting my name out there.

History and weaponry are the two greatest passions of my life and being able to combine the two is very fulfilling for me. I have made just under 50 swords over the years, some for my own use and some for customers. I do indeed hand forge every blade and all hilt parts (though some of my knife and dagger guards and pommels have been purchased as noted by Lin Robinson), though of late I am looking into the possibility of using manufactured blades. I'm looking at Hanwei pretty seriously right now. Their quality seems to be quite good and I have purchased a couple to test. Years of forging are starting to beat up my arms and shoulders and I'd rather not enter old age prematurely or with a beat up body. To be honest I love forging my own blades and I have tried to keep my prices as reasonable as possible. Obviously with manufactured blades my pricing could come down a little too. I will never stop smithing, and will continue to hand forge all axes, knives, and daggers. I will also continue forging swords just on a more limited basis, such as for custom orders.

I apologize for the quality of my photography. I am not a professional photographer, nor can I afford to pay one, yet. I have been using a decent Kodak 12 mp digital camera. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it... Big Grin

With regards to the variety of the work I produce, I am rather proud that I am not limited to a few styles. My passion is for the working of steel. In my time I have made everything from nails, hinges, woodworking tools, decorative ironwork and other hardware to swords, axes, knives, daggers, planer blades and polearms. I have and continue to study metallurgy and everything about metalworking that I can. I enjoy versatility and flexibility.

Philip Melhop, very nice pictures! Yes, you are correct, that particular smatchet was a combination of smatchet and fairsword attributes. I wasn't attempting an exact copy, but rather my interpretation of the qualities.

I would like to extend my thanks for the compliments from you all and I will endeavor to answer any and all questions that you have for me. I've looked at this site before and just recently decided to become a member. I am always looking to further my knowledge and understanding of metalworking and history and welcome all comments and criticisms.

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for the information. I'd like to know more about your products. One way for people to get to know more about your swords might be to lend some to people who have the patience to write reviews and take some good photos for sites like this. I'm not saying me - I'm not the best photographer - but there are a number of people who write official or non-official reviews.

-JD
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for the information. I'd like to know more about your products. One way for people to get to know more about your swords might be to lend some to people who have the patience to write reviews and take some good photos for sites like this. I'm not saying me - I'm not the best photographer - but there are a number of people who write official or non-official reviews.

-JD

Thanks JD, that would be excellent. Is there anyone you would recommend? Feel free to ask me whatever you wish and I will answer to the best of my ability. I'm always open to comments, questions, observations, thoughts, etc. I've been doing this for awhile but I certainly don't think that I am an expert or have all the answers.

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Rial wrote:

Thanks JD, that would be excellent. Is there anyone you would recommend? Feel free to ask me whatever you wish and I will answer to the best of my ability. I'm always open to comments, questions, observations, thoughts, etc. I've been doing this for awhile but I certainly don't think that I am an expert or have all the answers.

Benjamin,
If you'd like one of our staff reviewers to review your work for our Reviews page, please message myself or Nathan Robinson via PM. Informal reviews via forum posts get a lot of readers, but official reviews on our Reviews page get far more.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Chad, thanks. When I get a little free time between orders, I'll get a couple pieces together to be reviewed. Is there any particular pieces or time period(s) that would be preferred?

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin Rial wrote:
Hey Chad, thanks. When I get a little free time between orders, I'll get a couple pieces together to be reviewed. Is there any particular pieces or time period(s) that would be preferred?

Benjamin,
I'd go with whatever you feel is most representative of your work. Feel free to contact me directly to hash out more details. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Forged in Time Rip Off         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on my experience with Forged In Time. I ordered a knife back in March of 2013, and waited the 6 months that I was told it would take to make. I wasn't told this until I paid for the knife. But oh well.. A hand made knife is worth the wait if it is high quality. So far, I haven't received the knife. I was told that it had been shipped but magically disappeared. I asked for the tracking number, but the owner wouldn't give it. He said he had another that he would send out within the week. This was a month ago.
What I see from this person is that he lies, doesn't respond to problems, and I am thinking doesn't really operate a sword and knife making company. I think he just takes the money and runs.
So beware of this guy. From my experience, he is a crook.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this, David. My experience with Ben has been positive. Yes, he does take some time, but I have always received timely responses to my inquiries and always received my orders. Ben has always behaved in a gentlemanly manner with me, so I'm a somewhat taken aback here. Thank you.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Spenser T.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Dec, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Jasper,
I hope you will phone Ben and ask for an explanation and a correction to the situation. His phone number can be found on the forged in time Facebook page. Please tell us about how he deals with your call if you do call him.
Thank you
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I posted my reply to David Jasper here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=279472#279472 since it was the most recent. If needed I can post a duplicate on this thread as well if the admin thinks it would be more appropriate here.

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Forged In Time
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic