Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Painting of armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Painting of armour         Reply with quote

Hello all, I am here to pose the question of how to paint armour. Can you just paint bare steel or does it need treatments first?
If it needs treatments what do you do?
Do you use some kind of primer?
What kinds of paints are okay for use?
Other considerations?

I plan to paint my GDFB "jaw bone" sallet, and the elbows on the jackchains (also GDFB) if that helps at all.
The steps would be useful too.
I also plan to add some latin inscriptions and letters, anything i'd need to know with that?
Anything, and especially the people who have done this before, will help. Thanks.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I painted my izenhut and it was quite simple. I used a metal-primer (2 layers) and used 'normal' paint afterwards, 2 layers as well.

This worked out quite good Happy
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About this Metal primer, what is it? where can you get it? is it expensive?
Brand names if possible. Thanks.

So you just paint it on? And then paint w/ the real paint? Does the type you use really matter? Anything funky about modern paint that I need to be wary of?

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think it 'll be usefull to name the brands because it are brands from the Netherlands, I don't think you can get them in the us Wink

When you did a goog primer job, you can just start painting. I did first draw what I wanted to paint, on the primer with a pencil. And no funky things you need to know, I guess.

And, if you fail, because of some reason, you can easilly start over again Happy
F. Carl Holz

Location: someplace out on the water (and probably not able to access my PM)
Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have any experience painting amour, but I have a good deal of experience painting metal.

If the primer is a two part primer make sure you mix it per the directions on the can or it'll either never dry or dry to fast and leave lumps. after that you should be able to just paint what you want. you may want to use the same brand though.
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, and I have to say. The way I desribed is an easy and cheap way to do it. There are probably better ways to do it wich might be harder and more expensive. Just want to say that this worked out fine for me Happy
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Several years ago painted up a great helm I made. I didn''t believe modern paints would give quite the right "feel" for armour - today's pigments aren't right. What I used was a black asphalt/tar based paint that was made for painting the inside of water tanks.. I painted the helm, then wire brushed the paint and then added another coat. This produced a nice semi-mat black finish, and after several years of not-too-careful attention, there was still no rust on helmet, inside or out.
I wouldn't swear to it, but I believe something similar may have been used originally on bulk produced "Munitions-Grade"armour.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another related question: What about painting the interior of armor?
A few of my pieces came with the inside painted black, though others did not. Sean Flynt mentioned in another post that he ordered a breastplate and faulds from the Mercenar'ys Tailor that came with a painted interior. I ordered a set of arms from MT but they did not come painted, nor did my recent purchase of a breastplate from the South Tower Armoring Guild, a maker from Ottowa, Canada who I have not heard mentioned on this forum before. If anyone has heard of him it would be interesting to hear from them, though that is a little off topic for this thread.
Anyway, what purpose did it serve (rust prevention, I assume) and when/where would it be appropriate (For what regions/time periods, and on which pieces)? And if I did want to paint the inside of my armor, what is a good way to go about it without so it wouldn't just be rubbed off when I wear it, particularly over mail?
Hopefully I'm not derailing the thread, as it was originally intended to address exterior painting for decorative purposes.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've painted a few pieces.I have just used a spray on primer for paint durability...it worked well for me.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
N Cioran

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity where is the bigger buckler from?

Thanks
Cole

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Painting of armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic